aberdeen-music

"We don't need the human rights act"

An "interesting" view from Jane Moore in this month's Word magazine:

People are concerned about crime, paedophilia, benefit culture and gangs - they affect our everyday lives - and that's not just tabloid readers. But illegal immigration is the big one. We're just not big enough to take everyone, something's got to give. People are worried that hard work wont pay any more. As soon as illegal immigrants are discovered they should be sent back from where they came. Five years of appeals to remove of person? Madness. We should just stick them on a plane - the Human Rights Act is the problem. But we weren't barbaric before these laws were introduced. We're an immensely tolerant nation and the Human Rights Act is being abused by so many people. We don't need it. Scratch the surface of some stories and there's just no reason those people should be here. Escaping persecution from countries where there's been no coup or serious problem for years? It's ridiculous.

So, who wants to go first in tearing this shite to pieces?

So, who wants to go first in tearing this shite to pieces?

Well, for a start, illegal immigration isn't much of a problem anymore. The introduction of the juxtaposed border controls on the Channel (meaning that UK passport controls take place on the Continent) has pretty much stopped much of the problem in Calais/Boulogne/Dunkerque. It's still an issue at Ostend and the Western Channel ports - but I suspect commuting issues pose a difficult issue compared to the destinations served by Dover.

Appeals are a problem - there seems to be no transparent way in which they're handled, and there's been some shocking cases where people that aren't fit to be deported have been forcibly flown back (and subsequently taken back to the UK when the country refuses to accept them in their state). However, there's a problem in that mindless morons like Abu Hamza have not been stripped of their citizenship and subsequently deported. Jane Scott is somewhat right in saying that some of their stories just don't add up - for example, what possible reason is there now for Kosovars to remain here, particularly as Serbians resident in Kosovo can always just go to Serbia to escape any persecution.

However, she fails to grasp the main point - that of *legal* immigration. It's been well documented that schools are struggling to integrate Eastern European children, that public services are struggling to cope and that the UK generally wasn't prepared for the massive influx after 2005. The UK is becoming rapidly unattractive for Polish citizens (7 Zloty to the Pound in 2004, now the rate is hovering about 4.2) - but the rewards are still massive for anyone willing to persue a career here. Given that the transistional arrangements are about to expire in 2011 at the latest, there is no real possibility of 'closing the door'.

There's no quick and easy answer, and I suspect that emigration will continue to rise. I'm leaving the UK next summer - and I think a lot of other people are following suit.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
if people were making more babies then maybe there would be an argument for over population

There's too many brats being cracked out as it is, the last thing we need is more people breeding.

:up:

People are concerned about crime, paedophilia, benefit culture and gangs - they affect our everyday lives - and that's not just tabloid readers. But illegal immigration is the big one. We're just not big enough to take everyone, something's got to give. People are worried that hard work wont pay any more. As soon as illegal immigrants are discovered they should be sent back from where they came. Five years of appeals to remove of person? Madness. We should just stick them on a plane - the Human Rights Act is the problem. But we weren't barbaric before these laws were introduced. We're an immensely tolerant nation and the Human Rights Act is being abused by so many people. We don't need it. Scratch the surface of some stories and there's just no reason those people should be here. Escaping persecution from countries where there's been no coup or serious problem for years? It's ridiculous.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Wack Wack Oops!

Obviously a noise up.

If I get your gist, it seems as if you just aren't down with the Thatchman. Fair enough. I can't exactly recall her stance on immigration, but I'd imagine she would be spinning in her grave (yeah, but she virtually is) if she saw we were knee deep in russian pikey brides! I'm going to write to The Daily Mail!:swearing: