aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
The Kernel Loaf

Off-licence age could rise to 21

I'm 21 in February, so I can't see it affecting me, or if it does come into affect before then, not for very long. It seems a good enough idea to be honest, just a bit of a bummer for the over 18's that aren't neds or total dicks that wouldn't be able to buy alcohol in the shops.

it's frustrating. obviously there's a massive massive problem with alcoholism and antisocial behaviour in this country but is it fair to punish the vast majority of 18 year olds who don't beat people up or cause hassle for people?

it's the culture of this country that's wrong not the legislation. we should ban pish beer and lager and educate people on the process of creating alcoholic drinks and the differences between them. promote regionally produced ales in the same way that whisky is promoted and in doing so change the way young people consume booze and hopefully help to change their behaviour.

if they want to change the legal situation then they should look at sherriffs and the judiciary process in general so that they are encouraged to hand out appropriate sentences for violent and anti-social crimes. they should consult victims of violent crimes when deciding whether or not to prosecute. put the fear of jail back into those idiots who think that fighting is a part of friday night. you assault someone, go to prison. no exception.

once all this is acheived then we let the streets flow with lovely lovely beer and swim naked in giddy merriment without fear of assault or intimidation but with the confidence that everyone is just having a damned good time.

It will bugger me i think, i'm not even 20 till december. It's a total messed up ideal in my opinion. Being able to go out and get wasted in pubs/clubs - where odds are you're more likely to get started on by some some jumped up little hobbit with a hat on, but not able to go down to a shop buy a few bottles and cans and go back to a mates house and chill? thats sketchy. :swearing:

surely continuing to enforce misuse is a better idea? Or have stricter ID'ing procedures - i dont mind going to asda and buying a bottle of something only to get ID'd for not looking 25. :)

it's frustrating. obviously there's a massive massive problem with alcoholism and antisocial behaviour in this country but is it fair to punish the vast majority of 18 year olds who don't beat people up or cause hassle for people?

it's the culture of this country that's wrong not the legislation. we should ban pish beer and lager and educate people on the process of creating alcoholic drinks and the differences between them. promote regionally produced ales in the same way that whisky is promoted and in doing so change the way young people consume booze and hopefully help to change their behaviour.

if they want to change the legal situation then they should look at sherriffs and the judiciary process in general so that they are encouraged to hand out appropriate sentences for violent and anti-social crimes. they should consult victims of violent crimes when deciding whether or not to prosecute. put the fear of jail back into those idiots who think that fighting is a part of friday night. you assault someone, go to prison. no exception.

once all this is acheived then we let the streets flow with lovely lovely beer and swim naked in giddy merriment without fear of assault or intimidation but with the confidence that everyone is just having a damned good time.

I agree. These little muppets pretty much know they can do what they like. I'm sick of getting abuse hurled at me by a bunch of fucking 14 year olds pissed on one can of beer. Prison or some form of proper punishment.

it's a pain in the hole as it is getting asked for ID all the time because of retarded "you must look over 25" policies shops have.

Guest Neutral

The govt should start a new national service type thing

sentence 3 months 4 months - 2 years etc

they would be allowed to read, no tv except news/weather/documentaries and a monthly film(small screen)

if they fuck up no more tv

food menu month by month all have the same porridge, brown bread veg etc with them being taught about nutrition etc

If they didnt pass exams at school tell them they must pass them before they can leave:up:

Then give them a choice of what they do after half of their sentence, stay or join army/police/raf/navy/coastguard/train as a nurse etc public services, finish their sentence in a normal prison or continue at the army camp

it's a pain in the hole as it is getting asked for ID all the time because of retarded "you must look over 25" policies shops have.

Unless you are a wind up merchant of any sorts you are retarded for thinking this is retarded. Having worked in various bars and hotels since I was 17 right up until now I think I can probably say that it is quite hard to tell how old everyone is. So to give yourself some room for maneuver make it a higher age!

Dave is absolutely right with the problem resting in the culture and not the age. Do you really think neds wont find another way to get hold of booze? If you go for a drink in Paris you aren't going to stumble across apple VK for a poond min.

If you are some sort of cuntish fuck who needs to fight on a night out and you assault someone you should get made to do national service. The army will sort those cunts out nice and proper.

Why people start fights when drunk is beyond me. Some guy started on me and my flat mate walking home on friday because we said 'alright, you have good hair' in a friendly, but admittedly odd, greeting. He went into some sort of hypnotic rage because we had said hello to him and was convinced we had started talking to him so we could slag him off. Within 5 minutes of squaring up to both of us, chest pushed out he was having a laugh at himself with us for being a penis because we couldn't take him seriously. We just kept asking him why he was so angry whenever he squared up. Had we been a pair of cunts on equal measure with his cuntishness then a fight would have ensued previous to his epiphany that starting on people who could otherwise be your friends in other circumstances is entirely gay.

Further more:

WHY ARE YOU EMBARRASSED TO BE ASKED FOR ID?!!!!!!! CARRY SOME WITH YOU AND WHEN YOU ARE ASKED FOR IT HAND IT OVER SO THEY CAN DO THEIR JOB AND CHECK YOUR AGE. DON'T HAVE A HISSY FIT. WOULD YOU BE EMBARRASSED IF SOMEONE AT THE CINEMA ASKED TO SEE YOUR TICKET TO ALLOW YOU INTO THE SCREEN?

WHY ARE YOU EMBARRASSED TO BE ASKED FOR ID?!!!!!!! CARRY SOME WITH YOU AND WHEN YOU ARE ASKED FOR IT HAND IT OVER SO THEY CAN DO THEIR JOB AND CHECK YOUR AGE. DON'T HAVE A HISSY FIT. WOULD YOU BE EMBARRASSED IF SOMEONE AT THE CINEMA ASKED TO SEE YOUR TICKET TO ALLOW YOU INTO THE SCREEN?

there is no justification for raising the age limit, as dave pointed out it's a cultural problem, and not something that can be solved with legislation.

oh and btw I'M NOT EMBARASSED ABOUT BEING ASKED FOR ID IT IS JUST AN INCONVENIENCE TO HAVE TO SHOW MY DRIVERS LICENSE WHICH HAS MY NAME AND ADDRESS ON IT TO SOME RANDOM DIMWIT BEHIND THE TILL. AND YES IT IS QUITE FLATTERING SINCE I'M ALMOST 30, WHICH IS WHY I ALWAYS ACT OFFENDED AND SAY "ARE YOU JOKING?" IN A DEADPAN VOICE, SO I CAN ENJOY THEIR APOLOGY WHEN THEY REALISE MY AGE.

I Some guy started on me and my flat mate walking home on friday because we said 'alright, you have good hair' in a friendly, but admittedly odd, greeting.

He probably thought you wanted to bum him or something and he obviously wasn't gay...

Do you often go up to random strangers and tell them they have nice hair?

Getting id'd doesn't both me that much. What bothers me though is that you can't use student id... fine in other cities, I get that, but in Aberdeen... and to be honest, my driving licence doesn't really look like me anymore considering the picture is about 5 years old.

If the age is increased to 21, fair enough, it'll stop young imbiciles buying from shops that are quite willing to sell those bottles of Buckfast to any Joe Bloggs, and those who are wanting a few beers for a quiet night in, probably would go to Asda or the likes anyway, coz it's far cheaper. Surely a trip to the supermarket where you know you'll get served isn't that big a deal?!

Doesn't bother me anyway, coz a) I'm 21 and b) I don't drink! Lol.

P.s Costcutters on Union St has lost its alcohol licence!

Getting id'd doesn't both me that much. What bothers me though is that you can't use student id... fine in other cities, I get that, but in Aberdeen... and to be honest, my driving licence doesn't really look like me anymore considering the picture is about 5 years old.

If the age is increased to 21, fair enough, it'll stop young imbiciles buying from shops that are quite willing to sell those bottles of Buckfast to any Joe Bloggs, and those who are wanting a few beers for a quiet night in, probably would go to Asda or the likes anyway, coz it's far cheaper. Surely a trip to the supermarket where you know you'll get served isn't that big a deal?!

Doesn't bother me anyway, coz a) I'm 21 and b) I don't drink! Lol.

P.s Costcutters on Union St has lost its alcohol licence!

Supermarkets are included in the proposal.

Supermarkets are included in the proposal.

Ah ok. I havent actually read the story. Was just the way people were speaking on here...

Why stop at shops then?! Why not just increase the legal drinking age to 21?! It's a half hearted effort from the Govt. to try and stop anti-social behaviour. *goes off to read the article*

I've now read the article... and the proposals are just silly, people will still go out, get wasted in town on cheap drinks (particularly student deals) and behave the way they always do. What difference will this make! It's supermarkets that should be made to take responsibility for their money making ideas!

Getting id'd doesn't both me that much. What bothers me though is that you can't use student id... !

Especially as fake IDs often use false institutions like 'University of Wester Carlisle' (genuine example someone once gave me). You should really be able to use A'deen student ID in this town.

Ermm......

Raise the ID people who look under 25, not raise the age to give room to distinguish between underage buyers of alcohol :gringo:

If you have spotted some sort of contrast between my two little sentences I'd love to know what workings of your mind it is that has deduced this

I think it's a good idea. I think the whole idea is to stop cheap booze being available to younger people - who are perhaps less responsible and who usually don't have as much cash to spend… so that when an 18 year old goes into a pub with 6, they aren't going to get particularly bad. However, in an off license they could get several litres of cider for it.

I think that's probably the theory behind it. Personally, I'm all for it and I have no issue with being ID'd.

I think it's a good idea. I think the whole idea is to stop cheap booze being available to younger people - who are perhaps less responsible and who usually don't have as much cash to spend so that when an 18 year old goes into a pub with 6, they aren't going to get particularly bad. However, in an off license they could get several litres of cider for it.

I think that's probably the theory behind it. Personally, I'm all for it and I have no issue with being ID'd.

but that's ridiculous! they're legally entitled to get as drunk as they want to and should be able to do that in their own home if they want to.

why shouldn't young people be able to buy booze cheap like everyone else? most of them are perfectly responsible when drunk. it's also not going to stop underage kids getting booze. if they want to get it, they'll get it.

bah.

I'M NOT EMBARASSED ABOUT BEING ASKED FOR ID IT IS JUST AN INCONVENIENCE TO HAVE TO SHOW MY DRIVERS LICENSE WHICH HAS MY NAME AND ADDRESS ON IT TO SOME RANDOM DIMWIT BEHIND THE TILL. AND YES IT IS QUITE FLATTERING SINCE I'M ALMOST 30, WHICH IS WHY I ALWAYS ACT OFFENDED AND SAY "ARE YOU JOKING?" IN A DEADPAN VOICE, SO I CAN ENJOY THEIR APOLOGY WHEN THEY REALISE MY AGE.

Hey, your driving licence isn't even valid as ID. Nor is a passport etc. ;)

it's also not going to stop underage kids getting booze. if they want to get it, they'll get it.

bah.

Yup, the existing age regs seem more honoured in the breach, what makes them think this will be any different if they are unwilling to use the regs already in force. :down:

but that's ridiculous! they're legally entitled to get as drunk as they want to and should be able to do that in their own home if they want to.

why shouldn't young people be able to buy booze cheap like everyone else? most of them are perfectly responsible when drunk. it's also not going to stop underage kids getting booze. if they want to get it, they'll get it.

bah.

It's not making it illegal to drink alcohol bought from an off license. Just means that (hopefully) parents have a better tab on what their kids are consuming. My parents used to give me stuff to take to parties but they'd never give me enough to get in that much of a state. At the end of the day, people will still be able to get as drunk as they like in their own home - and that's not what this is aimed at cracking down on - but it should hopefully deter people from drinking on the streets.

The only downside is that it'd be pretty shit for students living away from home.