aberdeen-music

GIG - IMMANU EL plus support @ Tunnels

Guest idol_wild
you still on at half 8? will definitely be coming down and hopefully get there for your set.

I have no idea min. Communication regarding tonight has been sparse. I'll assume nearer 8pm if doors are 7.30pm.

I da ken.

Guest idol_wild

Ross of AGP is the only one that can shed any realistic light on the order of tonight's proceedings, and he's rarely on here these days. So you'll all just have to come down for 7.30pm and ensure you don't miss out on any of the action!

Here's my tuppence for anyone that cares:

Debutant- Nice arrangements and songs. I feel that a lot of them have scope for a bit of expansion on the musical front maybe with some synth or drum machine action just to beef them up a bit. The layering effect with the effects pedals worked quite well though.

No Pasaran- I was in awe. I've never seen them live and they were fucking amazing. The lad's voice was great and it sat really well with the lassie's voice too. They kind of reminded me of a cross between the Czars, Calexico, Arab Strap and R.E.M in places. Their tracks on myspace do not do them justice. The songs were very well written and performed well too, though there was a little bit too much mandolin/banjo action on the go for my personal tastes.

Greater The Shadow- I've seen them twice now and i still feel the same. Their heavy bits do not work at all. It's a shame as i really like the intricate quieter moments that they have. I wish they would focus on building those moments into swirling epic pieces rather than forcing the whole heavy by numbers thing. It just sounds really mushy and abrupt in a bad way. They seemed a lot more confident in themselves this time though and they were (thankfully) un-plagued by technical hitches. I also think they could make more of the samples thing with some crisp atmospherics rather than the weird jarring things that were going on. Anyway, just one man's opinion.

Immanu El- Very slick and obviously well practiced. Sound-wise they were phenomenal though the vocals were a little too subtle in the mix for my tastes. I really enjoyed seeing them live and their songs were very uplifting in a simlar vein to Sigur Ros and Jeniferever with well thought out progressions and dynamics. They didn't need the third guitar at any point though, it would've been better if they'd used the cello more.

Overall a well proportioned gig band-wise that didn't drag at all. Pretty decent turn out as well for a Sunday night too. 5 well spent.

It was one of those gigs where every act on the bill was really good. It was the first time I've seen Debutant live, and I was impressed. Phil, you did seem to be rocking a very similar look to Bruce Springsteen in the "Streets of Philidelphia" video though. ;)

...No Pasaran, like I said before, were the bee's knees. I love Landing Light, the only let down was that Jim didn't let down his flowing locks.

Greater the Shadow were cool too, the first time I've seen them live. They now go on the list of local bands I'll happily pay money to see.

Bit gutted I didn't get to see all of Immanu El's set, but it was late on a Sunday evening and I'm an old man. Really enjoyed what I did hear though. Personally, I think more time should have been spent at the soundcheck getting the cello sound right.

...Greater the Shadow paid me 5 to say they were the best thing since sliced toast.
Greater the Shadow...payed me five quid to say they were awesome...

Tut tut, it's four buck next time lass.

I was astounded by each of the other 3 performances last night, No Pasaran in particular. I said it endlessly on the night but they were genuinely heart-melting. Delighted to have finally caught them live.

Phil... you were alright, I suppose. ;)

Guest idol_wild

I'm with the general consensus here: brilliant show all round.

Big up to Jenni who did a magnificent job with all the acts.

And thank you for feedback guys, it's always appreciated.

Guest idol_wild
Fixed.

:up:

Like what you did there :up:

To be honest Chris, if your only major criticism of me is that I "woah-ed" for two songs in a row, then I'll accept that - I expected you to be quite harsh! :)

• 3 months later...