No Numbers, I haven't thought that much about it

Clem Burke

Tony Thompson

Carlton Barrett

Leroy 'Horsemouth' Wallace

Bill Ward

Mitch Mitchell

Charlie Watts

Tiki Fulwood (Parliament/Funkadelic) Tiki Fulwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Butch Trucks & Jaimoe (The Allman Brothers Band, there were 2 of them as a team)

Clyde Stubblefield

There are many more, but those are pretty good.

"quite poor"..?!

Phil Collins always generates a bit of controversy, but the rest are a veritable who's who of the world's most decorated drummers. Might not be your cup of tea, but their ability is absolutely unquestionable.

And Brain wasn't a patch on the original and best Primus drummer, Tim 'Herb' Alexander.

Some of those drummers ARE my cup of tea, but they are pretty poor in the grand scheme of drummers. Most of them are really boring, uninfluential, straight rock drummers celebrated time after time in corny top 10 polls in Q magazine due to fame instead of prowess.

If you like technique then Steve Smith is great and someone later mentioned Dave Weckl.

Yeah I couldn't remember Tim's name - he IS better.

Some of those drummers ARE my cup of tea, but they are pretty poor in the grand scheme of drummers. Most of them are really boring, uninfluential, straight rock drummers celebrated time after time in corny top 10 polls in Q magazine due to fame instead of prowess.

If you like technique then Steve Smith is great and someone later mentioned Dave Weckl.

Yeah I couldn't remember Tim's name - he IS better.

I assume the "boring", "straight rock drummers" on the list that we're talking about are John Bonham and Ian Paice, and perhaps Steve White? Whether they're boring or not is a a matter of opinion, but UNINFLUENTIAL? Bonzo is probably responsible for more drummers starting to play the drums than any other player in history.

Personally, I find Dave Weckl the most soporific drummer on the planet......great player, but his music is all about him smelling his own farts. Musically incontinent pish.

And while I'm on my high-horse, you don't have to be a jazz player to have great technique.....Ian Paice's is as good as anybody's.

I assume the "boring", "straight rock drummers" on the list that we're talking about are John Bonham and Ian Paice, and perhaps Steve White? Whether they're boring or not is a a matter of opinion, but UNINFLUENTIAL? Bonzo is probably responsible for more drummers starting to play the drums than any other player in history.

Personally, I find Dave Weckl the most soporific drummer on the planet......great player, but his music is all about him smelling his own farts. Musically incontinent pish.

And while I'm on my high-horse, you don't have to be a jazz player to have great technique.....Ian Paice's is as good as anybody's.

I agree about Weckl - which is why I said only if you like technique.

This is fast decending into arguement so I'll just reclarify my original post.

IN MY BOOK those drummers are quite poor - and by uninfluential I mean they have influenced more safe boring drummers instead of new breeds and genres.

I personally prefer electronic percussion.

No-one controls a beat like AFX.

1) John Bonham

2) Ringo Starr

3) Stewart Copeland

Um.....they're the only ones that really blow my mind. Keith Moon was quite the boy, but too OTT for my tastes. Cool as fuck to watch, mind. I'm also a massive fan of Joey Waronker's work with Beck/REM/Smashing Pumpkins and David Francolini's with Dark Star/Levitation, but I don't suppose they could be described as amongst the greatest ever. To really be described as such, in my mind, there needs to be a balance between musicianship, taste, feel and influence. Hence my top three.

Love from Christy

it all depends on your musical tastes really, if your not big into jazz your not going to know many jazz drummers same goes for any genre.

my list would be;

Dave Grohl

Travis Baker

Buddy Rich

Tony Royster Jnr

Dominic Howard

Matt Helders

I wouldnt say they are the best in the world, but they are all drummers who i love listening to and watching.

Ten great drummers in no particular order - but all are really great!

Hal Blaine "The Wrecking Crew"

Earl Palmer "The Wrecking Crew"

Jim Gordon "The Wrecking Crew"

DJ Fontana With Elvis for 14 years - still great not too long ago at the Lemon Tree with Scotty Moore.

Jimmy Van Eaton played on Great Balls of Fire and with Billy Lee Riley, Charlie Rich, Orbison etc.

Buddy Harman over 20,000 sessions - amazingly "solid" drummer

Panama Francis played for everyone from Cab Calloway to Eubie Blake to Big Joe Turner

Art Blakey was a great "Show" drummer like his friend Buddy Rich but both were technically brilliant

Buddy Rich

Clyde Stubblefield The "Funky Drummer" with James Brown whose track has been sampled hundreds of times by modern artists. Always right on cue with a rim-shot when James decided to do a sudden knee drop or splits!

There is a link to each of these drummers so anyone wanting to find out more has an easy start.

I knew a few of them and still see Jimmy and DJ on occasions.

I also used to know Jim Gordon when he was 17 and was backing the Everly Brothers at night and doing sessions for Mickie Most for a tenner during the day - that was in 1963. After that he got to be very famous and composed Layla with Eric Clapton and played with him. He got too heavily into "medication" and became pretty messed up mentally. Responding to "voices" he murdered his mother and was sentenced to 16 years in prison in the 80's. That sentence has long been served but unfortunately he remains locked away in a secure hospital. If Jim ever recovers he has a lot of unspent royalties for Layla to collect.

I have to agree with this guy (Hugh-lazz).

at the end of the day you can have all the chops and rudaments in the book and be the biggest show off in thw world but it won't get you gigs and 99% of the time you won't even use it! Ringo starr is often said to be a "crap" drummer - what a load of rubbish!! first of all he was in teh most sucsessful band of all the time - the Beatles!! secondly if you listen to any Beatles song the drums are perfect for the song and thats the main point! it gets your feet tapping at the end of the day. and ringo, along with probally a very small colection of drummers like John Bonham and Buddy, has probally got more people to pick up a pair of sticks than most drummers in history! a great drummer plays for the music and then, at the right time and place, can come out of his/her shell and show off a bit. drummers like i mentioned, Bonzo, Paice, Steve White etc, can all do this. I went on a drum course with Steve White a few years back and he tought that you played for the music first, then for yourself second and drummers everywhere should remeber that.

Drummerboy

steve reid was a pleasure to watch when he played with Keiran Hebden. lovely fluent performance, esp given it was an improv set

seb rochford with acoustic ladyland / others - brilliant to watch and listen to

ash marlowe from charlottefield and ack ack ack, absolutely kick ass

locally, I always enjoyed watching Big J Stac when he played with SS (sorry jim), such a simple and minimalist approach but so effective, particularly so with Andy Bass - tight like painted-on jeans.

Ten great drummers in no particular order - but all are really great!

I also used to know Jim Gordon when he was 17 and was backing the Everly Brothers at night and doing sessions for Mickie Most for a tenner during the day - that was in 1963. After that he got to be very famous and composed Layla with Eric Clapton and played with him. He got too heavily into "medication" and became pretty messed up mentally. Responding to "voices" he murdered his mother and was sentenced to 16 years in prison in the 80's. That sentence has long been served but unfortunately he remains locked away in a secure hospital. If Jim ever recovers he has a lot of unspent royalties for Layla to collect.

That is a sad story. He was probably been forgotten about and become part of the system. Poor guy.

That is a sad story. He was probably been forgotten about and become part of the system. Poor guy.

This is a link to a story Rolling Stone Magazine did about Jim in 1994.

http://www.12bar.de/ftp/text_info/jim_gordon.txt

There is a petition to get him out but I do not think it will be successful as unfortunately he still hears voices and threatens to kill people.

Musican friends and the Union have provided him with a drum kit and there are a few others there that he plays with.

His last gig was backing Paul Anka in Las Vegas in 1979. He has been locked up for the last 24 years. He gets "Navane" medication to stabalise his condition.

Many musicians blamed his heavy use of "speedballs" - injecting coke and heroin together but this did not contribute to his illness. He was and still is suffering from schizophrenia. He was being treated for this for four years preceding the murder.

It is very sad that such a great drummer who played with John Lennon, Frank Zappa, Joe Cocker and a flock of others has ended up this way. We are all fortunate to have our health.

Keith Moon would definitely be top for me, he was not just an amazing drummer but also a showman. Seen the Who at T in the Park a few years ago and they are just not the same band without him.

does anybody know if there is anywhere with live footage of him playing, there isn't much on youtube and stuff.

5) The guy from Mastodon

Brann isn't it? he has some seriously good chops. i really like Chris Pennie ex-TDEP and Paul ex-Meet Me in St Louis. Both quite technical, but definitely didn't sacrifice any part of their songs for 'showboating'. I like Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater too. He did a cool instructional video a while ago with a whole section on odd time signatures that was really interesting. has a pretty recognizable style too, which is a lot harder on drums than on say guitar/bass.

i get really bored with Terry Bozzio. :sleeping:

Guest treader.

why has nobody mentioned steve gadd?! or John Blackwell?

also, keith moon shits all over bonham.

and nathaniel townsley is the best drummer i have EVER heard.

why has nobody mentioned steve gadd?! or John Blackwell?

also, keith moon shits all over bonham.

and nathaniel townsley is the best drummer i have EVER heard.

Good shout re. Steve Gadd.....when he recorded Aja with Steely Dan, he allegedly sight-read the whole thing in one-take, including the awesome solo at the end.

Freak.