aberdeen-music

UFC/MMA thread

Chris

Thought it's about time to start a UFC thread. Unfortunately after I've spent the last couple of months catching up on it they've now decided to make it exclusive to setanta. The bastards, so I'll need to wait until next week to watch 85 once it's up online.

What did everyone think of 84? Sherk's face was a picture at the end, BJ Penn made it look quite easy in the end. Be good to see him fight GSP in the near future. One of the early fights (can't remember who) had some sweet BJJ in it with the armbar finish and some brilliant groundwork.

Looking ahead Brock Lesnar's due to fight again in 87, be interesting to see if his submission defence is any better after being tapped by Mir.

Now how long before Diesal jumps in to slag off MMA fighters...

Yeah pretty much. The only exciting bit was when eventually with 30 seconds left the ended up on the ground and machida was in tito's guard and tito almost had him submitted in a triangle/arm-bar. I dont think Tito has ever used a submition before, thats how lame the whole fight was.

BJ Penn just outclassed Sherk.

Also The dean of mean being knocked out in 40seconds was amazing.

Watched the first two fights from Saturday so far. First one should never have been stopped when it was, stupid decision.

Second one, Marquardt was lucky not to be DQ'd so probably fair result in that respect though otherwise I though he probably edged it, but how much of that was due to the illegal knee? Dunno.

Piledriver was awesome even though that's also illegal:

8x3cia.jpg

My friend's cousin is training to do something like this in America. He was over awhile back and put me in a 'sleeper' (with my consent, regrettably) that entailed being wrung around the neck then unconsciousness for a few moments at The Old Schoolhouse by belmont street. I struggled like a twat whilst he was doing it too so I woke up to about 20 bemused gazes and feeling incredibly sober..

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. That's why he was a national amateur wrestling champion, national college champion and 3 time state champion. Obviously awful.

And being offered an NFL Europe contract despite not having played American Football in years was no mean feat either - and if he hadn't injured himself in the motorcycle accident, may just have made the NFL itself. It was a long shot from the beginning, but to last as long as he did without being cut was quite significant.

I wonder how marketable he will be if he loses the next fight, though.

• 1 month later...

UFC 87 this weekend then, looking forward to it especially Lesnar and GSP's fights.

Anyone watch the Affliction: Banned event? Not a bad first showing (so far, only halfway through watching it) but they need to get some ambient mics in the crowd or something. Seemed very soulless without crowd noise.

Fucking Megadeth were awesome though, just watched them do Tornado of Souls.

How about UFC: Fight Night with Anderson Silva? Made it look so easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched UFC 87 last night.

GSP is awesome, just on a different planet to most of the other fighters. Him versus BJ Penn is going to be a hell of a fight.

Can't believe Fitch stayed the distance. Good survival, not many people would have kept going after the beating he took.

Lesnar looked much better and made a sweet mess of Heath's face. Shame he couldn't finish it and a pity he had to act like a dick afterwards. Important win for him though.

How sweet was that 12 sec knockout by Emerson?

Kenny Florian was superb in his fight and that Norwegian guy got destroyed by the big Frenchman.

All in all it was a great bill. Strange that Rampage was at ringside for the French guy's fight, would've thought he'd be keeping his distance after his recent, er, rampage with the police and getting sectioned.

• 4 weeks later...

Holy shit, Chuck Liddell got knocked the fuck out big time. Amazing. Though for someone in the best shape he's been in for years he still didn't look that fit to me.

Good fight between Hamill and Franklin as well. Killer body kick at the end.

Also, Couture vs Lesnar? Not sure he deserves that shot yet.

Guest treader.
Yes. That's why he was a national amateur wrestling champion, national college champion and 3 time state champion. Obviously awful.

He injured about 6 different people in the WWE alone when he kept fucking up his finisher.

He put John Cena out for months with a genuine injury (not a storyline, like his most recent injury) after he dropped him on his neck.

the video of said incident is on youtube.

Also, Couture vs Lesnar? Not sure he deserves that shot yet.

I think it's a great plan actually - if Lesnar wins, he's going to be promoted as a monster (and he looks the part, no doubt about that). If Couture wins, then his legendary status is assured. Either way, UFC wins - and having someone like Lesnar as their Heavyweight champion can only increase their prestige.

The only question is who will win - Lesnar's going to be coming in close or on the 265lb limit, whereas Couture will be what, 220-230? Those extra pounds might make all the difference, especially considering Randy's an old man these days.

• 1 year later...