aberdeen-music

T-break Winners Announced

Mosco

Guest idol_wild

That's quite a strong pot of bands that did get through.

Pity The Wee Kicks and 10EW never made it - they're both good enough.

But really, T in the Park is rubbish.

Dissapointing for the Aberdeen bands.

I saw 10 Easy Wishes at Tut's and thought they were really good. Pish crowd though, which maybe had a bearing.

We played a heat in the Liquid Rooms and the crowd was much smaller than what I thought it was going to be. 2 bands from our heat (come on gang and state of affairs) got through though...bastardos!

We absolutely didn't expect to get through, but didn't feel too bad when it became obvious that it's about who you know and perhaps how many people you bring with you that counts. I got to play a really good show at King Tuts which pleased me endlessly! SOA are amazing, it would have been a travesty if they hadn't gone through. Miss the Occupier should have as well, they were well good.

The only tangible benefit to playing T In The Park, via T Break, is getting to hang out in the hospitality area (if PRS registered the royalties ain't too bad). This, of course is the not the real back stage area just the place where the press, liggers, dj's, club owners etc, and T Break bands get to go to lounge in the sun or huddle out of the rain in a crammed tent. The beer is better, the food is arite, the toilets okay and you don't have to deal with the great un-washed. Unless you are a new band that are making the right noises in the industry then you just get to hang out at the festival free, and get paid... Atom Flask could have used it as a great stepping stone (10 yrs ago, Jesus, where did my life go) as we were making the right noises prior to playing and the weather was on our side, pishing down, but we imploded not long after having joked about that being the peak of our music careers. Oh the irony. I feel the concept and nature of T Break has all but run its course to be honest...

Ah, the joy of the Hospitality/Backstage bogs, seriously, I would't go unless I could snaffle a pass now.

Unfortunately it was also the peak of the Fox, but we got a pretty full tent up against New Order and James Brown, and it was nice weather. Ultimately, though, we couldn't promote our way out of a wet, disintegrating, paper bag, and I think whichever bits of the 'industry' we came into contact with could tell that straight away.

Ah, the joy of the Hospitality/Backstage bogs, seriously, I would't go unless I could snaffle a pass now.

Unfortunately it was also the peak of the Fox, but we got a pretty full tent up against New Order and James Brown, and it was nice weather. Ultimately, though, we couldn't promote our way out of a wet, disintegrating, paper bag, and I think whichever bits of the 'industry' we came into contact with could tell that straight away.

The Fox were a brilliant bands, especially in the great traditional rock n roll sense. Can you imagine the Happy Mondays, Sex Pistols, Jimi Hendrix or whoever trying to promote themselves?

I can remember a few times in Drummonds seeing the the Fox, ram packed, everyone up on the tables going mentol, the whole place in a state of complete euphoria!

We had the reverse Midas Touch, and there were 7 of us(for the last couple of years), which, contrary to popular belief, was not lucky.

At least we had the joys of those scenes you speak of, it was ace.

Mondragon has never been a crowd/human pleasing project, but I am trying to persuade some people to have one more tilt at a band, but we'll see if anything comes of it. If not my own cave industry (not advanced enough to be a cottage) will keep on, keeping on.

As long as humanity persists we are all immortal.

The Fox were a brilliant bands, especially in the great traditional rock n roll sense. Can you imagine the Happy Mondays, Sex Pistols, Jimi Hendrix or whoever trying to promote themselves?

I can remember a few times in Drummonds seeing the the Fox, ram packed, everyone up on the tables going mentol, the whole place in a state of complete euphoria!

true dat.

many happy memories of seeing em and playing with them when in dedalus. one of those bands that shouldn't have worked but just did and one of the few bands from these parts that genuinely could've been huge had the right person seen em.

i've always said tbreak is a big fat waste of time if you think it's actually going to be a big break. if you think it'll be a fun gig and get you into t in the park for free then it's worthwhile. it's been heavily weighted towards the central belt bands for the last few years though since they did away with regional heats.

We had the reverse Midas Touch, and there were 7 of us(for the last couple of years), which, contrary to popular belief, was not lucky.

At least we had the joys of those scenes you speak of, it was ace.

Mondragon has never been a crowd/human pleasing project, but I am trying to persuade some people to have one more tilt at a band, but we'll see if anything comes of it. If not my own cave industry (not advanced enough to be a cottage) will keep on, keeping on.

As long as humanity persists we are all immortal.

What is this Mondragon you speak of??

Just my own, mainly electronic, 4 gigs in 10 years, thing that I keep chipping away with. Got a few things up, some with a bit of guitar.

MySpace.com - Mondragon - Glasgow, UK - Breakbeat / Dub / Blues - www.myspace.com/vivaelmondragon

'Nuff about me, On topic, I was hoping that our ex-drummer 'Killer' Campsie would get through with MTO, but they never made it. Didn't put in those hours at Mono!

Just my own, mainly electronic, 4 gigs in 10 years, thing that I keep chipping away with. Got a few things up, some with a bit of guitar.

MySpace.com - Mondragon - Glasgow, UK - Breakbeat / Dub / Blues - www.myspace.com/vivaelmondragon

'Nuff about me, On topic, I was hoping that our ex-drummer 'Killer' Campsie would get through with MTO, but they never made it. Didn't put in those hours at Mono!

That sounds good, like zebedee tripping on the moon. Awesome picture you have up there too. Very sexual dude.