aberdeen-music

CLOCKCLEANER (Load Recs) @ THE BLACK TOOTH ROCK LOUNGE, SNAFU MON 7TH JULY

Dizzy Storm

CLOCKCLEANER are a punk band from Philadelphia, named after a particular "Hot Bag" of heroin that was distributed in Philadelphia in the 1980's. The band consists of John Sharkey III on vocals/Guitar, Karen Horner on Bass, and Richie Charles Jr on drums. The trio has drawn comparisons to The Birthday Party, Big Black, Bauhaus, Flipper and even Whitehouse.

Formed in summer of 2003, Clockcleaner released an LP called The Hassler on the now defunct Philadelphia label Manic Ride Records. The album echoed early 90s noise rock, with high pitch guitar sonics and a thumping bass sound. After touring for the EP original bassist R. Slegel left the band, and was replaced in the studio by John Sharkey. In Early 2006 they released a 7" on Baltimores Noise/Avant label Hit-Dat Records, soon to follow was their second LP, released on another Baltimore label, Reptilian Records. The album was called Nevermind (a sarcastic ode to Nirvanas 1991 release). The record was allegedly recorded while Sharkey was under a state of bi-lateral amnesia from a car accident in summer of 2005. John Sharkey has insisted that the title was a joke to piss people off (He has even gone as far to call Nirvana "dogshit" in a Dusted Magazine interview in 2007).

"People think that record is like the Bible," says Sharkey via phone from his North Philadelphia home. "Fuck that record. It's completely piss-poor. It did not stand the test of time. I can understand the mania that it caused, and I mean, it's good because hair metal sucked, but it almost caused another fuckin' trend that I have no concept of at all alternative or modern rock. So, Nirvana were dogshit, and I thought it was funny to name our record Nevermind. I kind of wanted people to react like, 'What balls! Who the fuck are these assholes?'"

"Nevermind" was a departure from their punk sound. Nevermind had more in common with many of the mid to late 90s Siltbreeze Records (philidelphia) bands such as Harry Pussy and The Dead C. After the album was recorded Karen Horner became the permanent bassist. Her first show with Clockcleaner was opening for The Melvins. The album did well with many critics and in late 2006 the group signed to Load Records, and the new record Babylon Rules is available now . This record will confuse LOAD Records consumers however as its not a noise record, it is a record in the HARD ROCK mould!

MySpace.com - CLOCKCLEANER - Big America, US - Visual / Gothic / Comedy - www.myspace.com/clockcleaner

Clockcleaner website

---LOAD Records----

MON 7TH JULY

@ THE BLACK TOOTH ROCK LOUNGE

SNAFU

SUPPORTS TBC

• 2 weeks later...

Yup

"Due to the fact neither the band, the promoter nor out label can fund our flights to the United Kingdom we are forced to cancel the dates booked from July2nd-14th 2008. We apologize to the avid fans that have been waiting to see us in person. It will be rescheduled in the near future. Keep your powdered wigs on."

Would have liked to come to this, seems to be a fairly controversial bunch like