aberdeen-music

Barack

Guest treader.

Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman Tuesday told CNN she was not planning to concede the Democratic presidential nomination to Barack Obama -- minutes after The Associated Press reported two senior campaign officials saying she was going to quit the race tonight.

oh well.......

oh well.......

hopefully that'll have changed by a bit later on today once the remaining superdelegates start publicly backing obama and pushing him towards 2118 delegates.

dunno why people are posting here saying a black person won't be president. all the polls so far have shown that obama has wide support across the racial spectrum and when asked those voting have consistently said race was not an issue.

if he doesn't get elected it's probably going to be because he's a little on the vague side with policies and mccain(who is generally pretty popular with conservative democrats as well as his own party) is seen as a strong leader.

should be an interesting race though.

hopefully that'll have changed by a bit later on today once the remaining superdelegates start publicly backing obama and pushing him towards 2118 delegates.

dunno why people are posting here saying a black person won't be president. all the polls so far have shown that obama has wide support across the racial spectrum and when asked those voting have consistently said race was not an issue.

if he doesn't get elected it's probably going to be because he's a little on the vague side with policies and mccain(who is generally pretty popular with conservative democrats as well as his own party) is seen as a strong leader.

should be an interesting race though.

Hear hear. Just waiting for somebody to pull out the vintage "BUT THE SOUTHERN STATES WON'T VOTE FOR HIM 'COS THEY ARE ALL RACISTS" line.

Guest Neutral

I think if I cared, for example if The USA was my country I could quite easily vote for him or one of the other fellows. I would have trouble voting for a woman because once a month the risk of a global nuclear war increases immensely.

I am not from the USA so I don't care, the UK I do care, Scotland I do care because I am not enthusiastic about the prospect of independence with good reason.

I think if I cared, for example if The USA was my country I could quite easily vote for him or one of the other fellows. I would have trouble voting for a woman because once a month the risk of a global nuclear war increases immensely.

I am not from the USA so I don't care, the UK I do care, Scotland I do care because I am not enthusiastic about the prospect of independence with good reason.

does that mean you'd be enthusiastic about indepdendence for a bad reason?

The Yanks do this every election. Parade out a black man and let Americans think that the system is fair. (Remember Jesse Jackson?)

They always get trumped at the end.

no they don't. this is the first time one of the main parties has put forward a black candidate as the presidential candidate. others have never made it past the primaries.

i don't think barack obama's colour will have anything to do with him losing if that happens.

I think it would be unwise to dismiss his heritage and background as significant factors, however. Perhaps the colour of his skin is less important today than it would have been if he was running twenty or thirty years ago, but there will still be some who will, rightly, question his attitude and position in relation to certain figures within the civil rights movement and aspects of race relations in the US. He's been very careful to distance himself from the expressions of support from people such as Louis Farrakhan, but he's going to have to convince the American people that he's running in order to fight the battles of the future, rather than as a cipher symbolising victories of the past.

I personally think the Democrats have made a catastrophic error, on a par with selecting McGovern to run against Nixon, or Mondale to fight Reagan. They have yet again chosen someone who is guilty of over-thinking their platform, promising a grand new dawn for the country, rather than someone who has the experience and wherewithall to tackle the problems they will be faced with once elected. McCain's going to walk the election in November, not just due to doubts over Obama's character and background, but simply because he is stronger in every policy area and he's more likely to achieve what he sets out to do. He'll be in a stronger position with Congress, which is likely to swing back to the Republicans come the election, he is a far more experienced administrator and legislator than Obama, and the distance he's put between himself and George W means that Americans can safely elect a Republican with an agenda of his own, rather than a continuation of what went before.

There must be some in the Democratic party despairing of the result today. A young liberal from a northern state leading a deeply divided party against a southern Republican with the full organisational and financial backing of his party. They have no chance. The one ray of sunshine for the Dems may be that McCain will be a one-term President, and Hillary could wipe the floor with whoever the GOP put up in 2012. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were them, however. They'll probably choose Howard Dean or (heh) Nancy Pelosi or (dear God, no!) Al Gore. The Republicans are laughing themselves sick.

well that's one viewpoint.

i think the greater barrier will be the fact that he's being represented by portions of the media as a muslim thus preying on the blind anti-muslim feeling from a large portion of the electorate.

while i agree that mccain has a better grasp of his own policies i don't think he's got any chance of just walking into the white house. obama is the most charismatic politician any party has had in this position for decades and given the state of the american economy i think they have a taste for someone who's promising real change. mccain will follow most of the same economic policy that bush has followed as well as a similar foreign policy. he's undoubtably the best of a bad bunch and will garner a huge amount of floating voters who want his experience but it'll be a tough fight and obama has a helluva chance to snatch the white house.

i also believe obama could be a great president. i think he's a bright man and will have a lot of support around him so that he doesn't fuck it up(which there's also every possibility of doing of course).

as i said before, it'll be an interesting race.