aberdeen-music

Rudimentary Peni - No More Pain

I saw them a few times back in the early 80s. I used to live in Dunfermline with the band the Alternative. Some awesome gigs around that time. Best show was Conflict and the Subhumans at a squat in London before Stop the City. 1984, I think.

No way man. Cool. Without doubt one of the most innovative bands of the period and who still excite to this day.

Ah Alternative. Was lucky enough to catch 'em Aug. 1986 at the Nagasaki Day fest. with Sleeping Dogs, Oi Polloi, and more. Ran in to Rodney Relax Nov. last year who like me was making his way to the Feeding Of The 5000 show London.

No way! I think Linda died a while ago, chips died as well. There were quite a few members came and went. Rodney once gave me the only copy of a mix of the album, it had a big huge disco drum sound and really clean guitars. Rodney was disgusted with it! Last thing I heard of Rodney was that he was living in Edinburgh, doing new age-ey music with another dude.

I had some brilliant times back then. We used to go to Chumbawambas house all the time and play hide and seek, they lived in a huge house, the electricity was ran in from the streetlights. Can remember queing in the kitchen for my bowl of lentils!

No way! I think Linda died a while ago, chips died as well. There were quite a few members came and went. Rodney once gave me the only copy of a mix of the album, it had a big huge disco drum sound and really clean guitars. Rodney was disgusted with it! Last thing I heard of Rodney was that he was living in Edinburgh, doing new age-ey music with another dude.

I had some brilliant times back then. We used to go to Chumbawambas house all the time and play hide and seek, they lived in a huge house, the electricity was ran in from the streetlights. Can remember queing in the kitchen for my bowl of lentils!

Caught Chips with Slaughterhouse Psychos Aug. '88. Would interview the band too.

Hoping someone will see fit to reissue full length If They Treat You Like Shit - Act Like Manure.

And if folks are so inclined, then they can check out Alternative here: MySpace.com - ALTERNATIVE - 40 - Male - Offical Site, UK - www.myspace.com/alter80

And talking of Scottish anarcho punks of yesteryear, look out for discog CD Axis Of Ascendancy from the mighty A.O.A. released June 21st. For more information visit MySpace.com - A.O.A. (ALL OUT ATTACK) - LOANHEAD/EDINBURGH, Scotland - Punk / Thrash / Experimental - www.myspace.com/alloutaudio

Have you kept in touch with many folks from this period? Perhaps from Aberdeen?

Caught Chips with Slaughterhouse Psychos Aug. '88. Would interview the band too.

Hoping someone will see fit to reissue full length If They Treat You Like Shit - Act Like Manure.

And if folks are so inclined, then they can check out Alternative here: MySpace.com - ALTERNATIVE - 40 - Male - Offical Site, UK - www.myspace.com/alter80

And talking of Scottish anarcho punks of yesteryear, look out for discog CD Axis Of Ascendancy from the mighty A.O.A. released June 21st. For more information visit MySpace.com - A.O.A. (ALL OUT ATTACK) - LOANHEAD/EDINBURGH, Scotland - Punk / Thrash / Experimental - www.myspace.com/alloutaudio

Have you kept in touch with many folks from this period? Perhaps from Aberdeen?

Ive only lived in Aberdeen for 10 years or so. I lived in Kirkcaldy, then Dunfermline, then all over the place before coming here. The act like shit album was the one RR gave me. I still sometimes talk to Neil from the band, but that about it. I met a girl at the Moorings last week called Melina, who new the station in Gateshead and Sned and them lot though.

Ive only lived in Aberdeen for 10 years or so. I lived in Kirkcaldy, then Dunfermline, then all over the place before coming here. The act like shit album was the one RR gave me. I still sometimes talk to Neil from the band, but that about it. I met a girl at the Moorings last week called Melina, who new the station in Gateshead and Sned and them lot though.

Ah I used to run in to her at gigs all the time.

Alternative played two shows in Aberdeen as I recall - with Flux Of Pink Indians, The System, and Andy T + one more. Unfortunately I couldn't make either.

Ive sent Rodney a message, need to get the album back oot!

Most definitely, particularly in view of the recent surge in interest in eighties anarcho-punk made I think possible by the publication of Ian Glasper's The Day The Country Died and the Anarcho Punk CD series. Folks can check out these here: The Day The Country Died - A History of anarcho Punk book by Ian Glasper...

and here: MySpace.com - ANARCHO PUNK CD SERIES - UK, UK - Punk / Punk / Punk - www.myspace.com/anarchopunkcdseries

Look what I found! Been looking for this for the last 20 years! - Mad Blasts Of Chaos: Alternative - If They Treat You Like Shit Act Like Manure LP 1984

The intro of another subversive peace song was recorded live at the Station in Gateshead, Im on it, shouting 'whos sussed!' before the tune kicks in!

Hey cool. Not heard this album in perhaps 22 years. Brilliant.

I made contact on the Alternative's myspace page. I thought it was Rodney running it but its not, its Iain who was in Influx. Heres a bit of the reply - (hes talking about the Alternative's album) -

Hi Mark, Sorry it's not Rodney who runs the site but myself Iain Influx - Ex guitarist with the band in 85-86. Speak with Rodney a lot and given him a load of old demo's and stuff that he has mis laid over the years.

Was up at Linds funeral where I handed him stuff from Overground records who has re mastered the L.P and single for a re-release last year. However Southern records got involved with rights to the artwork from the single saying it was G's artwork from Crass. Not how Jaa see's this and was not to pleased when I showed him the letters claiming this. Unfortunatly since John Loader passed away a new girl (Helen shodenbrooke)has taken over the running of all the crass and Corpus christi stuff and recons they own the rights to the music releases.

In 2006 myself and Rice wrote for a book called the day the country died and Rodney done the DVD interview for the DVD by the same name.

He also recommended this site which has TONS of stuff to download too! - NATION ON FIRE: ONSLAUGHT HARD CORE PUNK DEMOS 1983 TO 1984

I made contact on the Alternative's myspace page. I thought it was Rodney running it but its not, its Iain who was in Influx. Heres a bit of the reply - (hes talking about the Alternative's album) -

Hi Mark, Sorry it's not Rodney who runs the site but myself Iain Influx - Ex guitarist with the band in 85-86. Speak with Rodney a lot and given him a load of old demo's and stuff that he has mis laid over the years.

Was up at Linds funeral where I handed him stuff from Overground records who has re mastered the L.P and single for a re-release last year. However Southern records got involved with rights to the artwork from the single saying it was G's artwork from Crass. Not how Jaa see's this and was not to pleased when I showed him the letters claiming this. Unfortunatly since John Loader passed away a new girl (Helen shodenbrooke)has taken over the running of all the crass and Corpus christi stuff and recons they own the rights to the music releases.

In 2006 myself and Rice wrote for a book called the day the country died and Rodney done the DVD interview for the DVD by the same name.

He also recommended this site which has TONS of stuff to download too! - NATION ON FIRE: ONSLAUGHT HARD CORE PUNK DEMOS 1983 TO 1984

Hey thanks for posting that. Awesome news regarding the reissue of both If They Treat You Like Shit... and In Nomine Patri. Overground Recs has released many fine anarcho collections of late - from The System, Icon A.D., The Mob, The Disrupters, The Cravats, and much more recently Legion Of Parasites. Yes great news indeed. For more information about these releases visit www.overgroundrecords.co.uk

Have ya read The Day The Country Died or seen Toxic Waste man Roy Wallace's movie of the same name? The book is a must read, though gotta say that I found the DVD somewhat disappointing.

Just snuck a peak at Nation On Fire, and shit ya got Rubella Ballet's Peel session from'83, The Mob's last show '83, The Snipers, Part 1, and much much more.

Hey thanks for posting that. Awesome news regarding the reissue of both If They Treat You Like Shit... and In Nomine Patri. Overground Recs has released many fine anarcho collections of late - from The System, Icon A.D., The Mob, The Disrupters, The Cravats, and much more recently Legion Of Parasites. Yes great news indeed. For more information about these releases visit www.overgroundrecords.co.uk

Have ya read The Day The Country Died or seen Toxic Waste man Roy Wallace's movie of the same name? The book is a must read, though gotta say that I found the DVD somewhat disappointing.

Just snuck a peak at Nation On Fire, and shit ya got Rubella Ballet's Peel session from'83, The Mob's last show '83, The Snipers, Part 1, and much much more.

Hey there. I think what Iain was saying was that the album WAS NOT going to be re-released!

Ive read the day the country died, Ive not seen the dvd though, will need to check that out. Also get onto Nation on fire for the rubella ballet peel session!

I wouldn't waste your time with the DVD. Besides Dick Lucas' amusing intro it really lacks any substance and if certainly wouldn't turn anyone onto anarcho punk.

Interestingly, Amebix also appear to have had many problems over rights with Southern Records, and seem to have rectified this now in light of the death of John Loder. I just wonder how quick it was before they jumped on his grave though...:down:

I wouldn't waste your time with the DVD. Besides Dick Lucas' amusing intro it really lacks any substance and if certainly wouldn't turn anyone onto anarcho punk.

Interestingly, Amebix also appear to have had many problems over rights with Southern Records, and seem to have rectified this now in light of the death of John Loder. I just wonder how quick it was before they jumped on his grave though...:down:

So much for the punk ideals eh?!

Hey there. I think what Iain was saying was that the album WAS NOT going to be re-released!

Ive read the day the country died, Ive not seen the dvd though, will need to check that out. Also get onto Nation on fire for the rubella ballet peel session!

Disappointing.

The DVD I guess would satisfy anarcho completists only. Really it was an opportunity missed, and could have been so much better. But hey, don't let this put you off. Is still worthy of a look, despite its many shortcomings, and does feature several interesting interview clips with Rodney Relax, Boff, Penny Rimbaud, Gerard Evans, and more.

Also get onto Nation on fire for the rubella ballet peel session!

One of your favourites? Totally unique. Caught 'em Nov. last year at the Feeding Of The 5000 aftershow and party with Anima Mundi and Police Bastard, and will see 'em again Dec. 13th at Islington Academy with Flux Of Pink Indians and Subhumans.

Dunno if you've come across this RB vid online, but if not then do check it out: YouTube - False Promises Quite wonderful. Folks can also check 'em out on MySpace here: http://www.myspace.com/rubellaballet

One of your favourites? Totally unique. Caught 'em Nov. last year at the Feeding Of The 5000 aftershow and party with Anima Mundi and Police Bastard, and will see 'em again Dec. 13th at Islington Academy with Flux Of Pink Indians and Subhumans.

Dunno if you've come across this RB vid online, but if not then do check it out: YouTube - False Promises Quite wonderful. Folks can also check 'em out on MySpace here: MySpace.com - Rubella Ballet - London, UK - www.myspace.com/rubellaballet

I checked out the you tube thing and found tons more vids by Rubella Ballet, Flux of Pink Indians etc. Good to see so much stuff like that on there! Been listening to side 1 of Conflict's increase the pressure recently, are you familiar wth that?

I checked out the you tube thing and found tons more vids by Rubella Ballet, Flux of Pink Indians etc. Good to see so much stuff like that on there! Been listening to side 1 of Conflict's increase the pressure recently, are you familiar wth that?

Hell yeah. Fine album too, though if ya wanna check out Colin and and the guys at their very best then ya gotta pick up a copy of full length The Ungovernable Force. The band's still a firm favourite of mine, and despite their many detractors, can still knock 'em dead. Folks can check out more Conflict here: MySpace.com - CONFLICT - London - Punk / Rock / Punk - www.myspace.com/conflictofficial

Caught 'em with a variety of outstanding acts - DIRT, Citizen Fish, Kochise, Fear Of Fear, and Schwarzenegger at two shows '94, with Subhumans, Icons Of Filth, Lost Cherrees, Headjam, and Anti-Flag '03, Lost Cherrees '05, and The Restarts + Steve Ignorant and guests '07.