aberdeen-music

New Kartta On Myspace

Guest idol_wild

It's quite good. Well. It's a bit strange. Type of song it takes a good few listens to get into imo so ill report back in a couple of days once i have a bit more time to listen to it.

I quite like the general atmosphere and "feel" of the song, though there isnt really any great hook to reel the listener in (though perhaps thats not your perogative, I dont know)

Sounds quite nicely recorded.

The first half is good, but don't think it's as good as some of your other stuff.

It's the weakest song on your myspace at the moment. The long, indulgent ending is really boring.

Listening to it for a second time I just can't understand having an instrumental outro that's longer than the actual song.

Henri Got Cancer just started. Which is unfortunate as it just highlights what the band are capable of compared to the new one.

Sorry, this is coming across quite negative. I guess I just prefer your songs that are a bit more focused. This one should probably be filed under "works better live".

Hmm, it's really busy for the start of the song - it sounds like one of the guitars is playing Decepticon by Le Tigre at one point. Not the most immediate of the songs you've had on myspace. It could be a grower though. Maybe too much going on, I dunno...

I like the outro actually, probably my favourite part of the song.

Personally find the beginning a pretty lazy attempt to create a 'soundscape': two guitars, one blatantly overpowering the other, poor guitar-tone, loads of unnecessary clinking and squealing, in my opinion. New riff comes in at around 3 mins and again, just seems a bit lazy and un-thoughtprovoking - lots of squealing again, cheesy chord progression. A lot of bluster about not very much.

'Henri' starts off a lot brighter and has one or two moments, though I'm just not keen on basic melodies (ding-aling-aling-aling) and crunchy, treble-y guitars.

Sorry.

During the verses, the bass is playing a melody, the guitar is playing a different melody, and the vocals a different melody again. It dosn't work. Theres nothing for the guitar or vocals to hang onto. Pretty standard shoegazy type song with a couple of guitars going for gothic euphoria. Heard it 1000 times before, but a lot more interestingly. Sorry.

During the verses, the bass is playing a melody, the guitar is playing a different melody, and the vocals a different melody again.

Yeah, that's known as counterpoint.

I personally think it sounds great. Rob's done a fantastic job of mixing it and I think all the different elements of the song slot together nicely. I can understand why some people don't dig the ending, but for me the transition is smooth and the final chord progression very emotive. It's also good to hear songs that don't follow a predictable structure.

Nice work, guys! :up:

I don't actually know how to feel about that track to be honest. The recording itself is fine. There are some nice parts in there. It just sits funny, it jars itself.

I much prefer Henri.. to that. It has a much better flow to it and the overall composition is better to my ears.

I can understand why some people don't dig the ending, but for me the transition is smooth and the final chord progression very emotive. It's also good to hear songs that don't follow a predictable structure.

I like the ending best and I'm all up for songs that don't follow verse/chorus/verse but something about the song doesn't work. I'm not sure if it's the mix as myspace compresses the fuck out of songs and removes all subtlety. There just seems to be too much going on and it distracts my ears. I'm sure I've heard the song live and enjoyed it too. ?(

Guest idol_wild

Thanks for all the comments so far, people. All response is thoroughly welcome. :)

I've made the track downloadable. Having listened to it via the myspace player I think it's only fair to allow the song to be listened to properly - via headphones or a good sound system.

Thank you again, people.

Most of my feelings towards this song have already been said by other people. There are parts i like, mainly the outro section and parts that i'm not into. Some of it is far too cliche post-rock shoegaze-esk for me.

Had a few listens to it now and it's still not sitting quite right with me.

Guest idol_wild
make the fucking drums louder for gods sake. I didn't record them for them to take a back seat. :)

Seriously, make the drums louder, they need to be more pounding.

I did suggest this to Rob actually, but I thought I was nit-picking. :princess:

I did suggest this to Rob actually, but I thought I was nit-picking. :princess:

the thing is that you've got to nitpick. i think that's a mistake we've made a lot in the past with settling for things because we didn't want to sound nitpicky or offend someone. obviously you can't all agree but you've got speak up if think something sounds wrong.

Guest bluesxman

After having a fair few listens, its a song in 3 distinct parts really.

I like the ending personally, its ace, nice atmosphere to it. I also quite like the beginning. The problem for me is the middle section, i.e. the bit with vocals, doesnt quite fit the other 2 sections. The intro section jumps into a more jagged, slashy guitar riff that jars with the style of the intro. The vocal doesnt have a natural flow with the music, it kinda sits on top a bit isolated from everything else.

The jarring effect happens to a lesser extent with the progression into the end section - the fill in guitar line works but it feels kinda tenuous, almost as if the song needed a way to go from one section to another so all stops, the previously unheard guitar line appears and then when the ending kicks off the riff disappears again.

To sum up my thoughts, the start and end go quite well together, the middle section doesnt quite sit right.

Theres good stuff in there but for me just needs a bit of teasing and tweaking.