aberdeen-music

Exile Studio CD reply from Exile Studio

Mark Nicol

Ive read all the comments on the CD and the studio, and here is some information for you -

I asked Stephen if I could use the Deadalus track and he said yes. I didnt use Henri because it was on the Granite City Records compilation. For everones information, I asked all the bands, and everone was more than happy to let me us the track on the compilation. Especially Chris from Paterns in Pavements. Whoever said he asked him and he said no, is a liar.

Secondly - regards Henri, I have various mixes of it. If I remember, in total, you paid around 190 for 3 nights recording, and at least 5 or 6 days mixing. Thats not bad in my book.

I take great pride in everything I record, and have NEVER considered anything I have recored to be finished, and am always looking to improve it. Kaarta - ALL the changes I was asked to make on Henri were done, and I had a conversation with someonein the band about how I agreed with the points and was working on them. Your mood towards me and the studio has fairly changed since you wernt going to be on the compilation. I now regret spending my time and effort working on the mixes (that youve never heard, and probably never will).

The reason I dont post messages on here (with no disrespect to the owners) is because on the whole, the threads I read, tend to be insipid, negative, and destructive.

I always have the upmost respect for bands who come into the studio, my track record regards radio airplay speask for itself.

Its soul destroying busting your ass for a band in the studio, then see them turn around and call you a piece of shit. You wouldnt say it to my face though, would you?

Anyone has any problem all they need to do is call me and I'll sort it, what most of you dont understand is that Im passionate about it, always try and do my best, and always try and improve.

Theres some awesome tracks on the compilation. Read the footnote on the back. Some of the bands have spilt up, sure. Its not a showcase or benefit CD. Its an album of great songs, and of course its to promote the studio. When a band releases a CD, is it not to promote the band?

Many thanks for reading, check out the album.

Guest idol_wild

Your mood towards me and the studio has fairly changed since you wernt going to be on the compilation.

Not especially - it hasn't really changed: I think you've got a great wee set-up out there and I wish every success for you, but, on a personal note, I was never satisfied with the product Kartta got. And I've never denied that. The other guys seem to be satisfied - so don't take an anti-Kartta stance. Just take a stance against me if that's how you wish to operate.

And Kartta not being on the compilation doesn't bother me in the slightest - it was the fact that you pleaded with us to re-record a twenty second guitar part which you must have recognised as being too fuzzy beforehand, yet waited until just before the release of the CD to ask us to re-record it, because you knew it'd reflect badly upon you if somebody noticed the same fuzzy guitar part on the CD. Yet you were happy to hand over that product to us.

Oh, and nobody called you a piece of shit. I have nothing personal against you in the slightest. All I did was state my opinion. Thanks for the PM though.

Genuinely and sincerely - good luck with the CD and I hope it allows your studio to grow.

It's easy to get caught between a rock and a hard place when releasing compillations. Artists can often give verbal permission then recant after release.

When I released our Ghost In The North compillation I sent out release forms to everyone who wanted to be on it-no signature- no inclusion. They were all back signed within a fortnight, including one that came all the way from Cyprus.

On a supportive note, I've never heard a bad word said about exile and every track I've heard from there has been great, most recently some tracks from Avoid The Morning.

And no rip off pricing either.

The truth of the matter is that I wanted to put Henri on the CD, but the mix sounded weak compared to the other tracks, thats why I was remixing it. The band told me they were all happy with the original mix. The guitar part wasnt too fuzzy, the pedal that you used didnt work properly, so I had it mxed way down in the original mixes, and wanted to bring that part up.

I dont appreciate the fact that you (the band) said you were totally happy with everything, then you (Phil), publicly make a statement like you made on the other thread. The truth of the matter is your attitude towards me and the studio changed when I sent you a message saying I wasnt including Henri on the compilation.

Guest idol_wild

The truth of the matter is that I wanted to put Henri on the CD, but the mix sounded weak compared to the other tracks, thats why I was remixing it. The band told me they were all happy with the original mix. The guitar part wasnt too fuzzy, the pedal that you used didnt work properly, so I had it mxed way down in the original mixes, and wanted to bring that part up.

I dont appreciate the fact that you (the band) said you were totally happy with everything, then you (Phil), publicly make a statement like you made on the other thread. The truth of the matter is your attitude towards me and the studio changed when I sent you a message saying I wasnt including Henri on the compilation.

I am allowed to publicly say whatever I want about the quality of your work. That is my right as a customer and a human being. My individual and personal opinion has nothing to do with Kartta. I was the only one in the band who wasn't happy with your overall product, therefore I was in the minority. So as a band, yes, Kartta was within their rights to say they were happy with the final product; the majority were. And as an individual, I am within my rights to express my opinion. If you don't appreciate that, then get over it. Seriously. You've made such an issue out of this.

And my attitude towards you hasn't changed. If you are in such a confident position to feel that Kartta were genuinely bothered about not being included on a compilation CD you produced to highlight your own work and, essentially seek to get you more business, then that is all good for you. I'm not speaking for the other guys here, but I was not bothered one small iota about Kartta not being included on the CD. I feel it would be of absolute no benefit to Kartta whatsoever.

But if you feel my attitude towards you has changed, then it is down to the way you went about your business. You gave us the final product with the duff guitar part included, then you wanted it changed as soon as you were seeking to use the song. You said yourself the mix was weak compared to other tracks. So you knew it yourself.

You've blown this out of all proportion - you'll need thicker skin if you want your studio to grow and develop. Not everyone is going to think everything you do is great.

You've made a small hill out of a molehill here.

All I'veheard is positive stuff about Exile. Seems like a great setup.

Hope to work there at some point.

Funny, all I've heard is complaints. It's not much of a compliment, but at least his recordings aren't as shit as what comes out of captain toms.

I ran Lithium Records for over 5 years promoting my bands and lost over 40k. All my bands made money' date=' and I lost it

Not that I need to explain anything to you. If you have any more fucking comments to make publicly about me ro my studio, phone me first.[/quote']

If you lost 40k that is a failure and nothing to be proud of atall. Also, I do not appreciate your threatening PM's, thanks.

If you lost 40k that is a failure and nothing to be proud of atall. Also, I do not appreciate your threatening PM's, thanks.

Heres a word from our hero Stripey which I recieved in a PM -

Hahahahaha, I love it. Of course it is well known by people on here that I have no respect for the drooling troglodytes that inhabit Aberdeen, letalone the simpletons in shitty pointless hobby bands that probably make up most of your client base. I make that clear all the time, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

So anyway, don't have a go at me for stating the *fact* that over the years I've heard nothing but complaints from people who've used your services. That's a reputation you've created for yourself, and it's your PR problem. I don't blame you for being bitter though, trying to scrape a living recording these fuckwits toy bands.

Heres a word from our hero Stripey which I recieved in a PM -

Hahahahaha, I love it. Of course it is well known by people on here that I have no respect for the drooling troglodytes that inhabit Aberdeen, letalone the simpletons in shitty pointless hobby bands that probably make up most of your client base. I make that clear all the time, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

So anyway, don't have a go at me for stating the *fact* that over the years I've heard nothing but complaints from people who've used your services. That's a reputation you've created for yourself, and it's your PR problem. I don't blame you for being bitter though, trying to scrape a living recording these fuckwits toy bands.

Wow, like nobody on here has heard me express these sentiments before....

lol. Why do you even bother? If you hate it all so much why are you here?

I've been asking the same question for a good few years now. Don't expect an answer from him.

Anyway, think this thread has ran it's course - especially when there is another thread discussing this elsewhere. So closing this one.