aberdeen-music

the best local band

Biz

• 2 weeks later...

My vote would go to Copy Ha Ho as the best around just now. Saw them in London a few months ago and they were great.

Best ever? There was a period when I was at school in Moray when Aberdeen seemed to be the place where loads of exciting music as happening - Purple Munkie (I know strictly an Elgin/Forres band), Nero, Maple, Deadloss Superstar. Almost seems like a different time now - it was well before myspace, bebo, webs forums, etc.

Special mention to Hookers Green No.1 and Dedalus (though without me playing in them!) - they were both brilliant too.

N

My vote would go to Copy Ha Ho as the best around just now. Saw them in London a few months ago and they were great.

Best ever? There was a period when I was at school in Moray when Aberdeen seemed to be the place where loads of exciting music as happening - Purple Munkie (I know strictly an Elgin/Forres band), Nero, Maple, Deadloss Superstar. Almost seems like a different time now - it was well before myspace, bebo, webs forums, etc.

Special mention to Hookers Green No.1 and Dedalus (though without me playing in them!) - they were both brilliant too.

N

too kind!

maple - hi fi audio maintenance 2004

After seeing them on Thursday night, I think that Copy Haho are the best local band at the moment.

I seen them when I was at a random drunken barn dance a while back. They were all a bit pissed and took forever to set up/tune, but when they started playing I loved them.

Apart from that I've seen them at Tunnels and they were pretty good aswell.

They do however, sound a lot like Pavement.

Hmmm, maybe thats a good thing though...?

Meh.

purple munkie were fucking amazing.

They were probably the band that got me into local music to begin with, Queens Of is still an absolute belter of a song.

I remeber feeling absolutely let down by Fickle Public though...there was something not quite there with them, and I still don't know what it was to this day.

The X-Certs are and were my favourite Aberdeen band, but The Gloria Flaw and Dedalus weren't far off.

Kitchen Cynics for sheer storytelling (which is what all music should do, in my opinion...), and finally worthy mentions to The Upstarts and Stroszek.

And finally...Volvo Death Spell ;)

No problem sir! I guess I'm looking back a bit with rose tinted specs (doing that more and more these days!), but the tunes still definately stand up. That was a great really era of local talent - exciting for a young buck forming his first bands.

Very flattered to see people mentioning TGF and F/A. Another couple of eras (spanning Xcerts, We Become Less, Turning13, Allysha's Wish, Small Enclosed Area, Dedalus, Eric Euan, 10 Easy Wishes, Right Hand Left, Kartta), but some really great music then too!

• Upvote 1

No problem sir! I guess I'm looking back a bit with rose tinted specs (doing that more and more these days!), but the tunes still definately stand up. That was a great really era of local talent - exciting for a young buck forming his first bands.

Very flattered to see people mentioning TGF and F/A. Another couple of eras (spanning Xcerts, We Become Less, Turning13, Allysha's Wish, Small Enclosed Area, Dedalus, Eric Euan, 10 Easy Wishes, Right Hand Left, Kartta), but some really great music then too!

Ahh, you've just reminded me..

The Gloria Flaw, Small Enclosed Area and 10 Easy Wishes were always on my must-see-if-i-can list too. It's hard to pick a favourite really, simply because of seeing so many good gigs by the bands on my list.

• 2 weeks later...