aberdeen-music

Exile Studios CD

Ollie

Guest idol_wild
if he is the producer then he has all the right in the world to tell you to redo a bit if he thinks its not up to sratch, i would have thought folk would have been happy for someone to be that picky rather than just mix it up and forget about it.

The thing is, he was happy with it post-recording, and mixed it, and gave us the file and everything. We made suggestions for him to tweak; he never tweaked them. We were given what we got, no compromise, basically. We paid a fucking lot of money for two songs, too.

But as soon as he realised he wanted the track to be on his own CD to advertise his own studio, he knew the final version of the track would look bad on him. So he pestered one of us to go all the way back out to his studio to re-record a twenty second guitar part. This is about two months after we paid him, by the way.

No fucking chance.

And given that he sent us about five different mixes of the song, he must have noticed the fuzzy guitar part that he was referring to beforehand.

So he took a hissy fit and used a Dedalus song instead.

Which is fine, because he did a fucking crap job on Henri Got Cancer anyway.

He should stick to bands with 1/2 guitars, bass, drums, vocal only. That's what he knows.

The thing is, he was happy with it post-recording, and mixed it, and gave us the file and everything. We made suggestions for him to tweak; he never tweaked them. We were given what we got, no compromise, basically. We paid a fucking lot of money for two songs, too.

But as soon as he realised he wanted the track to be on his own CD to advertise his own studio, he knew the final version of the track would look bad on him. So he pestered one of us to go all the way back out to his studio to re-record a twenty second guitar part. This is about two months after we paid him, by the way.

No fucking chance.

And given that he sent us about five different mixes of the song, he must have noticed the fuzzy guitar part that he was referring to beforehand.

He should stick to bands with 1/2 guitars, bass, drums, vocal only. That's what he knows.

that's a bit harsh. i thought he did a pretty good job on henri and we can take as much of the blame as mark for not being forceful enough about the parts we weren't keen on. in fact i quite like that recording of henri. she bought a car wasn't up to scratch though.

Well my recording sessions with him will be fun. Heading up there with guitars, strings, brass and percussion.

Will be interesting to see how it all works out.

On the CD though, was it not planned to be released as a free download on here? I'd read that on his myspace?

No fucking chance.

I'm not sticking up for mark completely all i know is we had a great time recording with him and found no problems whatsoever with how he worked. Especially when he told me off for coming in stoned and not being able to sing, (not that it seemed to make much difference anyway in the end ;P ) i thought that was much better than someone not taking that much interest. Just to throw it out there, we actually heard from mark the other week to tell us he had done some new mixes of some stayover songs......two years too late but still it'll be ace to hear.

we actually heard from mark the other week to tell us he had done some new mixes of some stayover songs......two years too late but still it'll be ace to hear.

Why would he do new mixes of 2 year old tracks he doesn't own and has already been paid for processing? SO many people seem to think this guy is a prick, and putting out a CD with tracks by artists who paid HIM to record and mix them is just bare cheeky.

Notice Mark has posted elsewhere...

On a legal angle any recordings made and paid for in a recording studio belong to that studio and that studio can do what they like with them... It's this that has cause many problems over the years with bigger bands having some releases they didn't sanction...

Notice Mark has posted elsewhere...

On a legal angle any recordings made and paid for in a recording studio belong to that studio and that studio can do what they like with them... It's this that has cause many problems over the years with bigger bands having some releases they didn't sanction...

Studios that respect the people who have recorded there tend not to do such things without permission!

This CD sends out a bad message imo, this is exile recording studios... I will do what the fuck I want with your recordings! :down:

Anyway, you can get as good a result as exile recordings or better by recording 'at home' via the many means available to people now. 8-)

Studios that respect the people who have recorded there tend not to do such things without permission!

This CD sends out a bad message imo, this is exile recording studios... I will do what the fuck I want with your recordings! :down:

Anyway, you can get as good a result as exile recordings or better by recording 'at home' via the many means available to people now. 8-)

i should point out that mark asked steven of dedalus if he could use the recording so permission was indeed sought but i was not aware of this.

i also think mark's pretty good at his job and have been pretty happy with most of the results we've gotten at exile and the process in general, i think this thread is getting a little out of hand and feel a little responsible for starting it off on the negative slant with my initial post. perhaps people should check out the cd and judge mark on the quality of the recordings themselves.

I have asked ALL the bands for permission to use the tracks on the compilation. Why do folk post comments when they know little or nothing about the real situation?

I ran Lithium Records for over 5 years, and lost around 40K in the process. All the bands that I worked with made money from the PRS and exposure through my label, I never took a penny from them.

Ive produced hundreds of bands. If I had a bad day or didnt get on with a band, so what?? For every bad experience a band has had in the studio there are 100 bands who have a good one.

Im sick to the teeth of people that do not know me personally making comments about me and the studio. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, sure, but the majority of these negative comments are by vultures who await any opportunity to stick the knife in. Its the same people who have do nothing with their lives, and sit at home behind their PCs with chips on their shoulders sticking the boot in.

Are you in a band? Has anything youve recorded at home had daytime national airplay? Airplay in over 350 radio stations in the states? Have you worked in recording studios like CAVA (Glasgow), Sawmills (Cornwall), the the Fortress(London)?

Id like to know, becasue you seem to be an expert on music production and recording.

Also, can you enlighten everyone to where you got this information regards the compilation CD from?

I have asked ALL the bands for permission to use the tracks on the compilation. Why do folk post comments when they know little or nothing about the real situation?

Well, my apologies on that one then! People above seemed surprised that you had their track on it, that's all.

I don't claim expertise on anything and whether I have blah blah airplay doesn't matter, the fact is you can get equally good results recording yourself in comparison to recording at a place like exile.

Well, my apologies on that one then! People above seemed surprised that you had their track on it, that's all.

I don't claim expertise on anything and whether I have blah blah airplay doesn't matter, the fact is you can get equally good results recording yourself in comparison to recording at a place like exile.

Can you tell me what bands on the compilation have posted on this thread please.

The fact of the matter is that your comments are unjust and unfair.

Can you tell me what bands on the compilation have posted on this thread please.

The fact of the matter is that your comments are unjust and unfair.

That should have read - can you tell me what bands on the compilation have posted on this thread and said I never asked them to be on the compilation.

Reply please.

you asked for our permission to use our recordings,

and we were honoured to be asked.

i don't think we would have got the same results in any other local studio. mark got the best out of everyone in the band. we would have been happy with the first take but he managed to get more out us.

Me finks this has blown out of all proportion...

Is it just the fact that some defunct bands are on the cd that gives the impression that permission wasn't asked? if I had a studio and wanted to promote said studio and knowing that I likely had the blessing of most if not all the bands then I would consider doing what Exile has done.

When I mentioned that a studio can do what they want with the recordings without due consideration for the artists I didn't mean to suggest that exile had...

Aberdeen-Music is funny place...

cheer up abbidy, it's all good...:up:

I'm not really keen on posting on here but I'l break my rule for this one...

First of all hi to Mark hope things are well. When I first heard of this CD a month or so ago I was disapointed that the track by my old band were included. I understand you probably asked the singer of the band but we are obviously not in contact anymore and she does not represent me. I would have rather the track was not included on the album and would have appreciated being asked. I'm trying to get my current bands new tracks finished before they are released in September but as well as that it is an era I would rather forget so its a bit irritating that this band have came back to haunt me now!

I won't get too upset about it or lose any sleep mind as I'm sure its not going to take over the world or anything! It all seems a little pointless 4 years after the event.

Apart from that best wishes anyway.