aberdeen-music

Exile Studios CD

Ollie

free publicity, take it while you can.

yea i don't think anyone from dedalus would mind given that it's a defunct band and if kartta are on it i'm sure they won't mind either but we should have been asked particularly if it's being sold rather than given away. though i don't imagine at 2 a pop it's going to be making a fortune.

Guest idol_wild

Mark initially asked Kartta if he could use his recording and mix of Henri Got Cancer. But we wouldn't re-record one of the guitar parts so he took a hissy fit and used Dedalus instead.

That'll be his form of permission, I guess.

Mark initially asked Kartta if he could use his recording and mix of Henri Got Cancer. But we wouldn't re-record one of the guitar parts so he took a hissy fit and used Dedalus instead.

That'll be his form of permission, I guess.

heh, i'm not sure what song he's used of dedalus either as it's just called new one on the cd cover and i couldn't be arsed buying one to find out. i'll maybe pop into one up tomorrow and have a listen.

Technically, recordings are like photographs. They're owned by the guy who made them.

However, if you use a recording on a commercial CD you're obliged to pay royalties to the artists playing on it and to the holder of the intellectual property rights, eg the songwriter. It doesn't matter if the band still exists or not.

Even if the CD is free you should still seek permission of the song's owner to put it out. It may be for instance that they hate that particular recording and don't want it in the public domain.

indeed, the real trick is proving copyright.

Not really.

From the MCPS/PRS website:

How do you protect your music as a songwriter?

Currently, no official form of registration is available. In the UK, all original music is protected by copyright from the time it is recorded/written down in some format. It is important to be able to prove that you own the copyright of a particular recording. To do this we suggest the following:

* Send a copy of the recording to yourself by 'Special Delivery'. Clearly mark the envelope so you know what music it holds but keep it sealed.

and/or

* Store a copy with your solicitor or bank manager. Remember to keep a receipt and be aware that this method is likely to cost you some money.