aberdeen-music

BBC's Article on "emo's" in response to a planned "emo" march on the Daily Mail HQ

pastperfect

Haha, I've seen this one before, some of it is utterly horrific.

The Amy girl is deeply cringe inducing but she's quite sweet in a way I suppose, it's nice to see someone young and excited about music, she just presents it in an awful way. I'm glad they used someone awkward and nerdy though instead of some pretty popular girl or boy turned 'indie'. The girl who claims to be a 'scene kid' is much worse, she looks like a total dick, I could probably manage a 15 minute cup of tea with Amy, but I'd smack the other one round the skull with a mug instantly.

that one is a piss take is it not? i'm unsure.

I'm just looking forward to who the media pick on next!

This article isn't picking on anyone. Rather, it is a fairly informal analysis of what being 'emo' means, offering several different points of view.

I don't think whole subcultures should have "stereotyped" characteristics tagged onto them unless it is in fact of the culture

That is a fairly ancient complaint existing in far more pressing territories than that of an adolescent fad which has recently received unnecessary media attention. Not many people on the outside actually care about sub-cultures of such negligible value, and most are content to remain ignorant as to subtleties 'only understood' on the inside. Nevertheless, the inside is nearly always as skewed in its self-conception as the people peering in are quick to make judgements. Thus, 'Truth' is an abstraction which I'm inclined to believe exists somewhere between both standpoints. Hell, you said it yourself:

We should really be trying to get a group consensus of what it really takes to be classed as an "emo"

That said, the article was reasonably balanced and informal, certainly not worth a discussion as anyone with an IQ above 7 will come to exactly the same conclusion as yourself:

So to conclude.... I don't believe "emo" is not a suicide cult. It is just another group of people stereotyped and sensationalized by the media. What group hasn't been...

Oh, and you might like to read what you type in future:

The emo subculture like most subcultures its roots are based in the "emo" subgenre of rock music

' date=' post: 475191"']that one is a piss take is it not? i'm unsure.

I don't think the BBC teen culture web site is capable of that level of irony. If it is a piss take, then that girl is the best human being on the fucking planet.

are people gonna start talking about green fanta aka emo juice again? this went on when I was 15 years old.

Hahahaha! I wish more people on these boards remembered that particular period in history.