aberdeen-music

BBC's Article on "emo's" in response to a planned "emo" march on the Daily Mail HQ

pastperfect

Three points.

1) Does anyone else find the use of emo as a noun the most cringeworthy thing ever?

2) Why do they always ask people who have literaly no knowledge of a subculture to explain it and thus embarass everyone involved?

3) Emo is just following the Ska principle of Three Waves. We're on the third wave of Emo, it's reached it's most cartoonised level. It'll be dead in a year.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Three points.

1) Does anyone else find the use of emo as a noun the most cringeworthy thing ever?

2) Why do they always ask people who have literaly no knowledge of a subculture to explain it and thus embarass everyone involved?

3) Emo is just following the Ska principle of Three Waves. We're on the third wave of Emo, it's reached it's most cartoonised level. It'll be dead in a year.

Yes yes yes

Yeah, that's awful.

I'm not sure what we are supposed to be discussing here? The article, or the subculture? Personally, I can't bear to read that article, and wouldn't be surprised to find many others on here in the same position..

What are your opinions on the matter, pastperfect?

Drab Drab Drab...

At the end of the day, it's quite empowering for a lot of kids," concludes NME news editor Paul Stokes. "It's about saying, 'We're outsiders, but we're all teaming up'
For the majority of fans, emo music acts like a release valve, driving away all the negative energy and emotion inside them."
People say emo is all about depression and suicide," he says. "But I'm a happy person. I've got a girlfriend and a good job. I just like the music and the fashion.

Honestly I practically fell off my chair through boredom whilst reading that. Now I'm going to have to eat another cream egg to make it better.

I'm not sure what we are supposed to be discussing here? The article, or the subculture? Personally, I can't bear to read that article, and wouldn't be surprised to find many others on here in the same position..

What are your opinions on the matter, pastperfect?

The article like I said... Which is about the subculture, so I suppose we are discussing both?

Why can't you bear to read the article? It shouldn't involve much pain.

My opinions?

The emo subculture like most subcultures its roots are based in the "emo" subgenre of rock music, then comes the characteristic fashion style and finally the dynamics and interaction of the culture base.

Nothing inherently wrong with that... We have "goths", "metal-heads", "punks" and so on and so forth that follow the same formula. One is not any better than the other.

I don't think whole subcultures should have "stereotyped" characteristics tagged onto them unless it is in fact of the culture. I say this because "emos" are stereotyped as self-hamers/suicide attempters, when in fact its isn't a required charecteristic to being an "emo". Which is in regard to the article that you didn't bother reading, I don't doubt there are "emos" out there who self harm/ attempt suicide, as I am certain there are people from all subcultures who have these behaviors.

We should really be trying to get a group consensus of what it really takes to be classed as an "emo"?

Are there any "emo's" on these boards that are willing to let us know what their characteristics are? If we have a few we could look for similarities!

So to conclude.... I don't believe "emo" is not a suicide cult. It is just another group of people stereotyped and sensationalized by the media. What group hasn't been... Punk?... Goth?... Chav?...Metal-head?... ect.

I'm just looking forward to who the media pick on next!

Bring back the uzi toting, leather coated goths who are going to kill all their peers and all middle class schools. Or the Satan worshiping, animal killing metal heads who burn down churches!

( I apologise for any mis-spellings or grammatical errors.)

Discuss... :popcorn:

i was disappointed to find that this thread wasn't a discussion about -

BBC Switch | Are you one of Them?

i haven't watched them all but amy at the bottom is particularly cringeworthy

Haha, I've seen this one before, some of it is utterly horrific.

The Amy girl is deeply cringe inducing but she's quite sweet in a way I suppose, it's nice to see someone young and excited about music, she just presents it in an awful way. I'm glad they used someone awkward and nerdy though instead of some pretty popular girl or boy turned 'indie'. The girl who claims to be a 'scene kid' is much worse, she looks like a total dick, I could probably manage a 15 minute cup of tea with Amy, but I'd smack the other one round the skull with a mug instantly.

Guest Neutral

Perfect time for those budding entrepeneurs to open a stall selling pre-made nooses

Poundland sells a big clump of rope, i'd estimate enough for about 20 nooses:up:

Guest Tam o' Shantie

does anybody using the word 'emo' as a noun, that is to say that someone is 'an emo' realise that this was an injoke on aberdeen-music.com in 2001 or something? how did this catch on to mainstream media and become so accepted that even the 3rd wave subscribers to this tired cliched phenomenon don't even realise it?

That's true, or that they are stereotyped as having the "cool-kid bi-sexuallity" syndrome?

They are just common teenage fashion victims, they have no personality yet so they grasp at anything that gives them a sense of identity in lieu of developing one of their own. This is surely something which has happened in every generation for 50+ years now, people ought to be used to the fact that kids are retards by now.

does anybody using the word 'emo' as a noun, that is to say that someone is 'an emo' realise that this was an injoke on aberdeen-music.com in 2001 or something? how did this catch on to mainstream media and become so accepted that even the 3rd wave subscribers to this tired cliched phenomenon don't even realise it?

Stop getting so worked up about it, it's an ever eveolving language.