aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Guest treader.
Very few companies are taking on new staff right now.

have you actually read the jobs sections recently!?

there are actually companies, like...looking for staff. i know, i know. i couldnt believe it either, given this TRAUMATIC FINANCIAL CLIMATE.

so...FOOTBALL, EH?!

You cared enough to mention it in the first place.

It isn't actually "easy" to get off your arse and get a new job in the current financial climate. Very few companies are taking on new staff right now.

I am struggling to get a job through the following reasons:

a. I have no experience relating to my degree meaning that any job i could take would result in a massive drop in wages which is not economically viable for me and all the others are outwith my level of experience.

b. I am over qualified for a lot of other jobs these days and in a lot of circumstances i've been told i'm not suitable for a position because there were doubts that i would use the job as a stepping stone to another very quickly making me non-viable to a lot of companies, despite my protestations otherwise.

c. I can't afford to go back to University or College to re-train. Unfortunately the government don't deem it necessary to actually help people who want to work.

I've tried many avenues and applied for a lot of things over the past 6 months. So much so that i am now suffering quite badly from depression (not joke depression or how you feel when Montrose lose either) and low self-esteem. Believe me when i say that it's actually enough for me to get up these days.

There is no help for single, white men under 30 or if there is i'm not seeing it. Prices keep going up, wages (certainly in my case) don't. I honestly don't know where my next meal is coming from sometimes.

It's interesting that you seem to think that i'm not doing anything about it seen as though you've never asked.

So i'm afraid there's no witty retort, just abject apathy towards something i'm overly fed up with and the cards out on the table for all to see. Feel free to delete me on myspace if you don't want to read my bulletins either, i'm not particularly bothered.

It's not all fun and games out there for everyone. Some people don't get all the luck.

Summary please.

In all seriousness - if you're annoyed with your job, why don't you join an agency and try and get temp work? I did that, and from that now have an awesome job that I'm very happy with, and using what I learned at university.

Secondly, I worked at McDonald's for a couple of years and while I couldn't afford to buy many luxuries I still managed to pay my rent, silly debt that I'd acquired (lots of), and eat (not just because of the 'food' on offer at my workplace).

Now surely McDonald's doesn't pay as much as your work at Bruce Miller's. If it does pay more then there's no way you can tell me that you're unable to get a job there because they actually employ anyone.

Thirdly - ever thought about getting a second job if you're struggling for cash? Particularly over the Christmas period (bar work a couple of nights a week for example).

_44216380_ab_utd1.jpg

In all seriousness - if you're annoyed with your job, why don't you join an agency and try and get temp work? I did that, and from that now have an awesome job that I'm very happy with, and using what I learned at university.

Secondly, I worked at McDonald's for a couple of years and while I couldn't afford to buy many luxuries I still managed to pay my rent, silly debt that I'd acquired (lots of), and eat (not just because of the 'food' on offer at my workplace).

Now surely McDonald's doesn't pay as much as your work at Bruce Miller's. If it does pay more then there's no way you can tell me that you're unable to get a job there because they actually employ anyone.

Thirdly - ever thought about getting a second job if you're struggling for cash? Particularly over the Christmas period (bar work a couple of nights a week for example).

_44216380_ab_utd1.jpg

Unfortunately Temping isn't reliable enough. I know a lot of people get kept on from their temping jobs but there's always a risk that won't happen. At least while my current job doesn't always cover things it is a regular source of income.

McDonalds doesn't pay anywhere near what i get paid.

A second job is an option that i may take. Christmas/New Year/January Sales are actually ok for me. It's the middle of the year doldrums that are the problem in the Electronics market. I do have breathing space just now, it's just soul destroying.

Anyways. Cheers but can we talk about Football again. Hearing how all you guys just need to fart to get a job is making me feel worse ;)

Phil, can I suggest that given your "I have no money" status...maybe buying a PS3 not so long ago wasnt a very good idea.

I've had a PS3 for over a year. I have only had that particular status in the last 6 months. I don't spend any money other than on food these days. If you want i can go through my finances with you privately if you're that interested. If not, stop being such a dick. :up:

Have you re-read your posts on this thread over, say, the past 12 hours?

All provoked my good man. And they all stem from people caring too much about me not recognising Darren Mackie. Strange huh? Maybe people just shouldn't be allowed to defend themselves.

Anyway, we did try and move on but people like Adam, Treader and you keep bringing it up.

Football, it ain't cricket. :up: