aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Nae bad! It's great how all the smaller clubs have their own silly little traditions. Going back to Fraserburgh (not that I'm a die hard fan btw, I attended solid for a few seasons but haven't been in about 5 years), when somebody blasts a shot over the bar the whole ground yells "PEEEEEE-TAAAAAR-HEEEEEED" really slowly, as in you fucked that shot up so bad that ball might be landing in Peterhead soon.

Our school football coach used to shout that all the time. Sometimes, he'd shout it before you took a shot, in which case it would ALWAYS end up in the field behind the goals. Mind games, I tells ya.

Thistle's pre-season looks like:

05/07/2008 Blyth Spartans

10/07/2008 Ayr United

10/07/2008 Stranraer

12/07/2008 Brechin City

15/07/2008 Stirling Albion

19/07/2008 Carlisle

21/07/2008 Burnley

Not bad. Seriously large Brechin/Montrose pub crawl on the 12th I reckon. In!

:up:

highland league

What? That died when we left :p

In all seriousness, I'm a big fan of the pyramid system and would love to see more teams from the north in the league. Even the puddlestinkers, if only so we could pump them 8-1 at bellslea like we did last time we met...

What? That died when we left :p

In all seriousness, I'm a big fan of the pyramid system and would love to see more teams from the north in the league. Even the puddlestinkers, if only so we could pump them 8-1 at bellslea like we did last time we met...

how does the pyramid system work then? are they proposing a playoff from all the leagues to decide who gets promoted to the sfl and how will they fit the relegated team back into the lower league structure? or is it simply a case of replacing the relegated team with another team from their area?

It is confusing as there is the Highland league, the East of Scotland league and all the other mickey mouse leagues all trying to get a team into the SFL. But it can't really work, you couldn't relegate East Fife into the Highland League for example. So then you would have to say they go back into their own region ad a team from that region goes up, but since there aren't many Highland teams in the leagues to get relegated (except useless Elgin City who shouldn't even be there in the first place) there's not much scope for Highland teams to go up. I would suggest that the winners of the Highland League, East of Scotland league, West of Scotland league etc. go into a playoff with the winning team going up, and the bottom team in Div 3 going into their own area. That would fuck up a lot of the fixtures for lower leagues though because there would be odd numbers of teams in their league. I dunno, but Caley, Ross County and "the scum" have proved it's possible for a HL team to thrive in the SFL (though the less said about Elgin City the better).

Broch had the chance to apply when Caley Thistle and Ross Country went up, and again when Peterheed ("the scum") and Elgin City went up but we declined the chance to apply because it would probably bankrupt us having to get a stadium in place, (since ours is basically a crumbling shed). Plus with a pyramid scheme there's a chance we could spend a fortune going up then get sent straight back down again.

doesn't seem very workable then does it this pyramid malarky? great idea in theory but the relegation thing kinda messes it up.

all the media seem to be focusing on spartans as they will have the stadium in place and are close to gretna's catchment. i don't think cove are in a good position until their stadium is ready.

doesn't seem very workable then does it this pyramid malarky? great idea in theory but the relegation thing kinda messes it up.

I'm sure there are ways to make it work, the English league operates a pyramid which seems to be reasonably effective:

English football league system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At the end of the day I reckon a 2 tier league system with a pyramid below it is much healthier than the stagnant system we've got now that only benefits the already rich clubs. A pyramid with promotion and relegation from all levels will let all the clubs find their natural place in the system and in the long run should be much healthier for Scottish football.

I'm sure there are ways to make it work, the English league operates a pyramid which seems to be reasonably effective:

English football league system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At the end of the day I reckon a 2 tier league system with a pyramid below it is much healthier than the stagnant system we've got now that only benefits the already rich clubs. A pyramid with promotion and relegation from all levels will let all the clubs find their natural place in the system and in the long run should be much healthier for Scottish football.

while it might be reasonably effective it's certainly very complicated. they shuffle the teams between the leagues until the numbers are even. not sure that's a perfect system either really. ach weel.

There's probably no perfect system but I reckon a pyramid has to be better than the shite we've got just now where a team can finish bottom of Div 3 year after year and there's no way to replace them with someone more worthy.

i have it on pretty good authority that either spartans or annan will be joining the league. I hope its spartans.

That's some pretty good authority, considering neither team have actually applied yet. So if it's already been pre-decided it makes a bit of a mockery of the whole system. I'm sure the other clubs who are applying will be most chuffed to learn that.

There's probably no perfect system but I reckon a pyramid has to be better than the shite we've got just now where a team can finish bottom of Div 3 year after year and there's no way to replace them with someone more worthy.

True dat. Was it East Stirling that finished the league once with like 5 points or something? Criminal.

That's some pretty good authority, considering neither team have actually applied yet. So if it's already been pre-decided it makes a bit of a mockery of the whole system. I'm sure the other clubs who are applying will be most chuffed to learn that.

when was the system anything but a mockery?

in addition to the information I have receieved (from the board of a 3rd division club - not montrose), I think its pretty obvious that one of those two teams will enter the league, given that both have the infrastructure, appropriate locations and frequent representation in the professional cup competitions

p.s. east stirling didnt finish botom this year and have showed significant improvement over the last few years

given that both have the infrastructure, appropriate locations and frequent representation in the professional cup competitions

I don't think location should come into it (heard somewhere else mention cove won't get a look in because it's too far to travel). It's a national league after all, if they're not prepared to travel they shouldn't be at that level.

Mind you, the infrastructure argument is valid and by all accounts I've heard Cove's ground is barely fit for anything let alone 3rd Division football.

I don't think location should come into it (heard somewhere else mention cove won't get a look in because it's too far to travel). It's a national league after all, if they're not prepared to travel they shouldn't be at that level.

Mind you, the infrastructure argument is valid and by all accounts I've heard Cove's ground is barely fit for anything let alone 3rd Division football.

I've been up to Allan Park, (though a couple of years ago admittedly) and I didn't think it was that bad. It's not as nice as Huntly or Keith's stadiums but it's not a total dive. Still better than Fraserburgh's.

Allan Park isn't too bad. I'd much rather the place went to Annan Athletic though. Annan are actually not a bad team, my old team (Dumfries High Former Pupils-now just called Dumfries FC) got absolutely nailed by them in a cup once. That was the same year we got raped 11-1 by Rangers reserves (I nailed Bob Malcolm in that game so it wasn't all bad) :(

I dont think it is the key indicator, however, Im sure it does play a part.

We already have trips to Berwick & Elgin which are regarded as long away days and create real financial issues for clubs (and fans!) if games are called off due to weather. Midweek reschedules mean less gates, less atmosphere, less money for clubs, depleted squads for matches, fixture pileups etc *edit* Whilst Annan is seen as a long trip for us, it is regarded as quite close for most of the league. It is also quite easy to get to. Edinburgh also doesnt have any representation in the lower leagues other than the big three (if you can include Livi).

It's a sad state of affairs that it may be an issue, but at this level, gate reciepts are the lifeline of clubs.

Last years top scorer in the 3rd Division John "Yer only scared of the" Baird has signed a new contract at Montrose. This is fucking immense news given that first division clubs have been all over him recently. YAS!

His new strike partner is likely to be the legendary hatchetman Joe Savage.

Happy fucking days.

expect another couple of pieces of news over the next few days. for the first time in years I think we have a real chance of winning the league