aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Do you feel more depressed or less depressed than post-QOTS semi final defeat?

Oh FAR less disappointed than the QOTS game. That game actually meant something. I also didn't have a 3 hour drive after the game on Sat.

This was just pish. I knew we were going to lose after the first 5mins on Saturday.

We have no width.

No-one who can cross.

A terrible keeper.

Ricky Foster.

No striker who can score.

An apparent lack of midfield.

I could go on for days!

Thankfully i'm off on holiday soon and will miss some games. :up:

Your manager is the problem - he's a big fat waste of orange peely skin.

10 mins into the game on Saturday, Brewster's instructing and encouring his players, whilst Tango's flapping about like Magnus Pike, fat fucking face beetroot with rage.

As former player at Junior level - and any player will tell you this - there's nothing that'll destroy your moral and confidence than the bench hurling abuse at you before you've even got started. Fine, if you've been making the same mistakes over and over again - in which case the manager should give you the hook. Players need constant support during matches - it's a pressure game. It was tough enough at my level, so it must be almost unbearable at times when your livelihood is at stake.

I think the Dons problem lay in the midfield. I was amazed at how many times Black, Duncan and McBain broke up play; throughout the entire 90 minutes. Cowie and Imrie were both dangerous every time they got the ball, especially Imrie who has been a fantastic signing. For the Dons however, McDonald (did he even touch the ball!?), Kerr and Smith didn't look to press or challenge at all.

Also at no point did it look like any of our players were getting tired, demonstrated perfectly by our 33 year old midfielder sprinting almost the full length of the pitch before slotting home the second.

Brewster is slowly bringing me round. If we can keep Cowie, Black, Fraser and Munro who are all out of contract in the summer (and all of which have been quoted as saying they want an extended contract), we could do very well indeed :love:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I merely state it every now and again in an attempt to convince myself that I can no longer give a shit about Aberdeen Football Club.

Obviously I have failed so far.

For better or worse, once you've made the decision, that's it!

Sometimes :up:, sometimes not :up:

Try being a Pars fan, it's not pleasant...

Do you feel more depressed or less depressed than post-QOTS semi final defeat?

Christ, calm it min.

McDonald (did he even touch the ball!?)

This flies in the face of a lot of the shite that gets spouted, but I think Gary McDonald's taking an undue amount of stick because of constant comparisons to Nicholson - NOT because Nicholson was a brilliant player for us, but because he was and still is vastly overrated by a large number of fans. Nicholson was just as prone as McDonald (who has played ONE competitive game) to being totally absent throughout games, apart from his occasional poorly timed, unreachable runs, which people seemed to love, and penalties. This, along with de Visscher's similarly conspicuous absence, left Severin trying to hold the midfield together on his own, which IMO was a big part of the reason Seve got such a ridiculous amount of criticism.

NOT because Nicholson was a brilliant player for us, but because he was and still is vastly overrated by a large number of fans. Nicholson was just as prone as McDonald (who has played ONE competitive game) to being totally absent throughout games, apart from his occasional poorly timed, unreachable runs, which people seemed to love, and penalties. This, along with de Visscher's similarly conspicuous absence, left Severin trying to hold the midfield together on his own, which IMO was a big part of the reason Seve got such a ridiculous amount of criticism.

As neutral (for all but 3 games a season anyway!) who visited Pittodrie a few times last season, I'm in total agreement with you. Nicholson was the classic "luxury" player - some flashy runs, weighed in with the occasional goal, then was posted missing when there was work to be done. de Visscher's a waste of a shirt - heart lazy. Severin has a thankless task at Aberdeen.

Co-operative Insurance Cup - second round draw:

St Mirren v Dumbarton

Livingston v St Johnstone

Dundee v Partick Thistle

Ayr United v Aberdeen

Hibernian v Morton

Arbroath v Inverness

Hamilton Accies v Clyde

Cowdenbeath v Dundee United

Hearts v Airdrie Utd

Raith Rovers v Falkirk

Dunfermline v Alloa Athletic

Brechin City v Kilmarnock

Ties to be played on 26 & 27 August.

Arbroath v Inverness

Happy enough with that. Arbroath have started the season well, but we should have enough strength in depth to put a couple of goals past them. Chance for Esson, Kerr, Duff, Wood, Vigurs, Sutherland, Proctor, McAllister, Zebi-Zadi et al to get a full competitive 90 mins under their belt.

It would be a perfect August if we have 9 points out of 9 by this game, beating Hamilton and Hibs at home respectively.

It's not the kinda thing we're proud about, but Shower is indeed a fake Jag.

Anyway, in other news:

Dunfermline 2-1 The First Division Team Who Lasted Longer In Europe Than The Huns

Nice wee win, a double from Andy Kirk, who's already looking like a damn good bit of business.

And just to make life even better:

Rangers 1-0 Them

It's back, alright.

:up:

Kirk even managed to score goals of semi-decent quality, which is something we haven't seen since the glorious Brew-Craw partership. Him and Bayne look like they could be just the ticket for the 1st Division. Steven Bell should be coming back from injury soon, which will be an extra wee boost. I just hope we can chalk up a few more points, it'd nice to still be in the running come Christmas this time round.