aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Agreed, Pressley would have been a good signing when he left Hearts but 2 years on he's 34 years old, I'd rather not bother.

I reckon he'd be a tremendous signing. We need a good, experienced centre-back rather desperately, and he's better than Scott Wilson!

Failing that, maybe test Dundee Utd's resolve with a cheeky bid for Darren Dods? Looks like Garry Kenneth and Lee Wilkie are the favoured pairing there these days.

Love from Christy

I reckon he'd be a tremendous signing. We need a good, experienced centre-back rather desperately, and he's better than Scott Wilson!

But Pressley's shit! He was slow and often caught out at Hearts, never mind now he's hardly played for 3 years.

Cuellar will probably be bought by a Premiership team, last i heard Newcastle were going to offer 8 million for him. Weir's been told he's not going to be first choice in defence next season, so if they both go we're gonna need a pair of defenders.

Boyd also 'considering his future' at Ibrox, and with Smith looking to offer Cousin and cash in exchange for Steve Davis, we'll need a new striker or two, and with all the talk it's looking ever more likely that Kenny Miller could be one of them. Hrm.

That said, I was on the BBC Gossip page and Real Madrid are 'allegedly' offering crazy amounts to Man Utd. for Ronaldo. Something in the realm of +35 million PLUS Ramos and Robinho. Crazy.

But Pressley's shit! He was slow and often caught out at Hearts, never mind now he's hardly played for 3 years.

Que? He was a big part of both the Celtic and Hearts teams, as well as the national side, the season before last.

Sometimes you have to take the crunchy with the smooth, as Billy Bragg might say. His lack of pace is more than compensated for by his excellent leadership and reading of the game - just take a look at David Weir for example

He was, by a country mile, the best defender in an excellent Hearts team. At the risk of turning into an Elvis apologist (I'm not, I just think he'd be a good signing), I think any SPL or Championship team bar Rangers and Celtic would be absolutely delighted to have him in their side. The one thing the Dons are lacking is a real leader and communicator, and he fits the bill. The only stumbling block will be wages....I reckon he'll end up somewhere like Plymouth, where it looks like Maybury is headed too.

Love from Christy

i think he's past it and certainly not what we should be going for. if its a toss-up between wilson and pressley though its elvis anyday.

however, if i was JC I'd stick Seve at the back. he's played well there last 3 games as he's forced to keep things relatively simple and we've seem him return to something resembling the player he was when he first signed. him and Diamond sound a pretty solid and reliable pairing. I'd also be happy with Considine as back-up. He had a bad season but, like Anderson and Diamond (who both had terrible seasons immediately after their breakthrough season) will bounce back. He's been my man of the match in enough games to suggest he can make it, just consistency letting him down. Mair's best position is CB as well and he's another who i rate despite a bad season.

the real priority should be LB and RB. Mulgrew and securing Maybury would be brilliant signings though.

Well if Severin in midfield means him being wasted as the more defensive of two then I wouldn't mind him moving to the back. Largely 'cause we'd then most likely get to see Touzani in midfield regularly which I maintain would do absolute wonders for our defending.

Well if Severin in midfield means him being wasted as the more defensive of two then I wouldn't mind him moving to the back. Largely 'cause we'd then most likely get to see Touzani in midfield regularly which I maintain would do absolute wonders for our defending.

indeed, in my mind it solves 3 problems with 1 stone.

1) shores up our defence

2) gets Severin out of the middle where he has been diabolical bar a handful of games for 2 seasons now

3) allows one of our best players in my eyes to step in, Touzani.

Apparantly United might be getting Gow on loan from Rangers. I think that would be great for both clubs. We've been lacking a bit of creativity since Robson got shown the money.

I thought Rangers were looking to offload him permanently? Aberdeen were linked with him but I seem to remember he was scared to come north of Stirling.

I kinda thought JC would've had a wee punt on Paul Gallacher from Dunfermline, who is absolutely wasted in Div 1.

Aye, he's well too good to be playing for us, but he's just signed a new contract with us, I can't believe no SPL club moved in for him. If we're to have any sort of decent season, he'll play a huge part. Playyyyer.

That's Gretna gone.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Gretna | Gretna relinquish league status

Bye bye. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. So there's a space going in Div 3, apparently Cove Rangers fancy it.

BBC SPORT | Football | Scottish League | Cove SFL bid rests on new stadium

I'd like Fraserburgh to get in just so we can fuck Peterheed again, but we won't apply unfortunately, since our stadium is a shit hole and I can't see Jim Adams financing a new one. Though we do get the largest support in the Highland League by quite some way. When Peterheed were in the HL and travelled to the Bellsea for the local derby we used to get attendances of 4000, on par with Division 1.

"The game most fondly remembered by Broch fans was the 10-0 victory away to Peterhead in the Highland League Cup on August 14th 1974. Many an argument between the rival supporters has been ended with two simple words "ten nil".

Guest Jake Wifebeater
That's Gretna gone.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Gretna | Gretna relinquish league status

Bye bye. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. So there's a space going in Div 3, apparently Cove Rangers fancy it.

I'd like Fraserburgh to get in just so we can fuck Peterheed again, the rival supporters has been ended with two simple words "ten nil".

Burntisland Shipyard for me, please. Funniest fans I ever encountered, it was at a Fife Cup semi in 01/02. We horsed them 5-1 (they scored first!) and it was pretty much shootie-in for the DA. Whenever a shot whizzed past the post there was the obligatory "Ooh!" from the Pars faithful, then ten seconds later a group of 3 or 4 Burntisland supporters would shout "OH!" at the tops of their voices. It was fucking brilliant and I got a teamsheet to boot, in the absence of a match programme.

Ooh...that was close.......................................................................................OH!

:up:

Burntisland Shipyard for me, please. Funniest fans I ever encountered, it was at a Fife Cup semi in 01/02. We horsed them 5-1 (they scored first!) and it was pretty much shootie-in for the DA. Whenever a shot whizzed past the post there was the obligatory "Ooh!" from the Pars faithful, then ten seconds later a group of 3 or 4 Burntisland supporters would shout "OH!" at the tops of their voices. It was fucking brilliant and I got a teamsheet to boot, in the absence of a match programme.

Ooh...that was close.......................................................................................OH!

:up:

Nae bad! It's great how all the smaller clubs have their own silly little traditions. Going back to Fraserburgh (not that I'm a die hard fan btw, I attended solid for a few seasons but haven't been in about 5 years), when somebody blasts a shot over the bar the whole ground yells "PEEEEEE-TAAAAAR-HEEEEEED" really slowly, as in you fucked that shot up so bad that ball might be landing in Peterhead soon.

Nae bad! It's great how all the smaller clubs have their own silly little traditions. Going back to Fraserburgh (not that I'm a die hard fan btw, I attended solid for a few seasons but haven't been in about 5 years), when somebody blasts a shot over the bar the whole ground yells "PEEEEEE-TAAAAAR-HEEEEEED" really slowly, as in you fucked that shot up so bad that ball might be landing in Peterhead soon.

hahaha that gets done in Aberdeen as well though? Still funny mind.