aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

I hope the board don't go for McGhee/Black, as has been said I can't see either of them taking the club forward. Aberdeen need a manager with abit more experience than those two. Alan Curbishley has been mentioned and I thinked he'd do a good job. Good football brain and people skills. Can't see it happening though. We also need someone who can motivate the players. I think the potential is there in the squad and a new manager has to realise this. There is deadwood to be cleared out and players like Foster should be sold to free up some cash.

A new manager will hopefully bring new signings. Who'd you guys like to see at the Dons for next season [in an ideal world]?

In an ideal world...

Ronaldo. :up:

Surely Davie Hannah's gonna be up for the Chelsea job, though? Why would he want to come north and mess around with our little club? He is to football fans what Martin Luther King was to African-Americans.

Why stop at football? There is a global economic crisis to be sorted out, and there is only one man up for the job.

DAVIE HANNAH

Guest Bob Double Jack

here's an idea, why not get someone in to take us from the feeble state we are in (4th in the league), stay there for 5 years, get "as far as they can take them" (ie. 3rd if you're lucky unless rangers and celtic move to england) and then sack them.

repeat cycle ad infinitum

when are dons fans going to realise that WE WONT WIN THE LEAGUE. EVER. unless we get some unlikely roman abrahamovich north east billionaire fisherman to invest in the club. ok, the football was shit, we lost stupid cup quarters and semis to poor teams, but we didn't finish bottom of the league. i think calderwood has been treated pretty shoddily for doing a good job with a very mediocre team.

and when is darren mackie going to get found out? he is fuckin pish.

here's an idea, why not get someone in to take us from the feeble state we are in (4th in the league), stay there for 5 years, get "as far as they can take them" (ie. 3rd if you're lucky unless rangers and celtic move to england) and then sack them.

when are dons fans going to realise that WE WONT WIN THE LEAGUE. EVER. unless we get some unlikely roman abrahamovich north east billionaire fisherman to invest in the club. ok, the football was shit, we lost stupid cup quarters and semis to poor teams, but we didn't finish bottom of the league. i think calderwood has been treated pretty shoddily for doing a good job with a very mediocre team.

ha, you can't have it both ways. jimmy is darren's biggest fan, if he'd stayed mackie would be in the team forever more.

not one person has said we should be winning the league.

when are dons fans going to realise that WE WONT WIN THE LEAGUE. EVER. unless we get some unlikely roman abrahamovich north east billionaire fisherman to invest in the club.

There are lots of people in Aberdeen with money that want to invest in Aberdeen, but not while Milne is in charge.

all these high profile footy gigs going, i should have a shout with all my years of football manager experience! i fancy the aberdeen job, with the aid of genie scout could have the dons winning the champions league within 5 years!

i think when the new game comes out i'll have a crack with newcastle in the championship!

well done to burnley, been quite some time since they've been in the top flight!

Quite the opposite, I think JC did a pretty mediocre job with a good team. He has had the basis of a really good team every season he's been here, if any of them knew what they were supposed to be doing or what position they were supposed to be playing in, or what the tactics were supposed to be they could have done even better,

Guest idol_wild
There are lots of people in Aberdeen with money that want to invest in Aberdeen, but not while Milne is in charge.

Yeah? Who are these people? Do you know them personally?

I haven't read a single report anywhere over the past ten years about a suitable party looking to invest but refraining "while Milne is in charge."

Milne is trying to steady the ship financially and slowly but surely try and make Aberdeen a profit making club again, whilst maintaining on the park stability. The latter has been achieved (though I can only see a struggle next season).

The main reason the club is in a relatively poor financial state is because the deluded majority of fans demanded that the club spend large transfer fees and offer large wage packages to players so it can compete with the Old Firm in the early 1990s. That backfired massively. It was always likely too, aswell. Aberdeen are a fucking tiny club compared to the gruesome twosome, so it was never going to be able to justify spending such amounts.

Also, sadly, building the Richard Donald Stand was one of the worst decisions Aberdeen Football Club have ever made. The club is lucky Milne wiped the majority of the debt for that, otherwise the financial troubles would be even greater.

Aberdeen fans always look for a fucking scapegoat. That is evident if you go to a game and hear some of the bile directed at their own players and management team. Pittodrie has become a horrible place to watch and try to enjoy football matches.

Quite the opposite, I think JC did a pretty mediocre job with a good team. He has had the basis of a really good team every season he's been here, if any of them knew what they were supposed to be doing or what position they were supposed to be playing in, or what the tactics were supposed to be they could have done even better,

Mediocre??? What do you actually expect in a season from the dons?

A6C_Hannah.jpg

HANNAH FOR THE DONS! That would be a good appointment and would almost certainly sort out the inconsistencies and toughen yer lads up. He was well liked at Montrose by the players/fans et al and got a great send off in his last game when we were defeated by Cowdenbeath at home in Dec.

Colin Calderwood has also been released by newcastle

Yeah? Who are these people? Do you know them personally?

I haven't read a single report anywhere over the past ten years about a suitable party looking to invest but refraining "while Milne is in charge."

Milne is trying to steady the ship financially and slowly but surely try and make Aberdeen a profit making club again, whilst maintaining on the park stability. The latter has been achieved (though I can only see a struggle next season).

The main reason the club is in a relatively poor financial state is because the deluded majority of fans demanded that the club spend large transfer fees and offer large wage packages to players so it can compete with the Old Firm in the early 1990s. That backfired massively. It was always likely too, aswell. Aberdeen are a fucking tiny club compared to the gruesome twosome, so it was never going to be able to justify spending such amounts.

Also, sadly, building the Richard Donald Stand was one of the worst decisions Aberdeen Football Club have ever made. The club is lucky Milne wiped the majority of the debt for that, otherwise the financial troubles would be even greater.

Aberdeen fans always look for a fucking scapegoat. That is evident if you go to a game and hear some of the bile directed at their own players and management team. Pittodrie has become a horrible place to watch and try to enjoy football matches.

Again, exactly. At least there are a few realistic dons fans left in this fucking city

Your right about the Dick Donald stand as well, thank god milne got onto the board otherwise we may not have a club left to talk about.

managed to avoid reading this thread and all sport websites all weekend to avoid knowing the prem scores as I had MOTD recorded. I come back and Calderwood's gone. Gutted!

Is it too early for predictions for next season? who's gonna win what? who's going where?

Strachan will stay out of football but will be constantly linked to premier league positions as they become vacant over the season.

Sunderland will get a foreign manager with unorthodox methods which will lead them into mid table playing attractive football.

Hull will go down, as will stoke.

Burnley will have an early season surge then tail off but will have done enough to secure safety.

Birmingham and Wolves will stay up, both are good enough sides/big enough clubs.

Tottenham will be a force with defoe and keane clicking up front.

Bentley will move to another club in the prem and do really well prompting discussion as to why he didnt fit in at spurs.

Lawrenson will have a shit tache and a stupid moany face all season.

Arsenal will win a trophy, perhaps champs league, what with Arshevin available.

Mediocre??? What do you actually expect in a season from the dons?

I think we've debated this back and forth at length on many occasions, and I can't really be bothered getting into the same argument again. But, yes Jimmy league positions were always good, but it masked the fact that A) the team played like a bunch of clueless muppets with no leadership or direction, B) the same donkeys that everybody in the stand could see were useless (ie Mackie) played week in week out, C) his tactics were rotten and he couldn't change them if were getting beat, and D) we got turfed out of the the cups to lower league teams 3 times.

To an outsider looking in they might say "how can you justify getting rid of a manager when he's got you into the top 6 five years running", to which I refer them to the four points above, sitting through some of the dross that was served up at Pittodrie over the past couple of seasons was excrutiating, OK we can't expect entertainment in every match but many times the team looked like they just didn't know what they were doing, and just didn't care.

As has been said a million times over the last few days, Jimmy did a good job of turning us around but the team and the club is going stale and it's time for someone to shake things up a bit.

I cannot understand for the life of me why people are happy that Calderwood's gone. The team was consistent under him, and we had a realistic chance of getting into Europe. The cup results were iffy, but I always thought that Calderwood preferred to do consistently well in the league rather than worrying about the cups. For that reason, a club Aberdeen's size can hardly complain about consistently finishing in the top 6.

Calderwood's win record was also better than Paterson, Skovdahl, Alex Miller and Aitken, and only marginally worse than Willie Miller's. It's not a bad record when you consider how little money he's had to spend with Aberdeen.

I fear that next season, we'll end up in a relegation scrap :(

It wasn't nearly as bad as all the money pished away on shite players.

The Dick Donald cost about 4.5 million if I remember correctly. We got over 2 million from a lottery grant or something along those lines.

We spent a lot more money than that on players, some of them absolutely terrible....

Paul Bernard - 1 million

Brian O'Neil - 800K

Tzanko Tzevatanov - 600k

Ilian Kiriakov - 400k

Robbie Winters - Billy Dodds + 700k

Billy Dodds - 800k

John Inglis - 400k

etc etc etc..........

You never answered, i never asked what you thought was wrong, i asked what do you realistically expect from aberdeen in a season?

I expect a top 6 finish, a decent cup run, the team to play good football the right way, and the manager to be tactically astute. I don't think that's asking too much.

finished 4th this season, top 6 every year jimmy has been at the club, three semi finals in two seasons...

Jimmy also managed to get us into the group stages of Europe with these useless players, whilst Makie and Foster were playing and got us through to the knockout stages, not bad for someone who is tactially inept id say...

Whats more important, getting into europe or playing good football?

Whats more important, getting into europe or playing good football?

Obviously getting into Europe, but it's not a clear cut case of one versus the other, it should be a mix of success AND good football. Would you be happy with us if we were playing a long ball game with 9 guys behind the ball in every game like Rangers did in their UEFA cup run, and qualified for Europe?

I can't deny Jimmy's results speak for themselves but it was the way he managed the team that just plain fucked me off, the players just seemed to lack hunger and desire, when they lost a game they just looked like they couldn't give two fucks. In fact, when they were winning a game they just looked like they couldn't give two fucks.