aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Yeah, I felt the same when I read Jefferies was linked with it...

Oh, you meant the other thing. Yeah, hard luck mate. But look on the bright side, at least you'll get rid of all your good players and keep the likes of Stroller...

Stevie Taylor's said he's sticking with us. Great news, in my opinion. Not exactly the finest player in the world but if we had more players with this lad's attitude we'd be nowhere near the Championship right now.

It's still sinking in. The moment I found out was one of the most gutting suckerpunches ever. I thought I'd make peace with the fact that we'd probably be playing in the Championship next year, but you really can't prepare for it. Ashley needs to step his game up or fuck off out the door. He needs to bring in the right man for the job (I'd like to see us try and pinch Owen Coyle if Shearer doesn't stay) because JFK isn't up to it. We need to shift some of the useless, overpaid cunts from our payroll, hold on to players like Guthrie and Tayls, and consoldiate the squad with some sensible signings. Next season we're going to be the "team to beat"; we're easily the biggest club in that league in terms of stature and everyone's gonna raise their game against us, so it's vital that we get players in who have the right attitude.

I'm absolutely devastated but at the end of the day I'll still be a Newcastle United supporter. I'll still make the 9-hour return trip to St. James' Park, and I'll still be cheering the lads on whether it's from my living room or the Gallowgate end.

Onwards and upwards, no looking back.

think it's time one of Fergies team gets the baton

however if Mcghee takes it Milne has to stick his hand into his pooch

with a five year plan/spend

Won't happen in a million years. If the Dons weren't spending big before the recession, they're hardly going to start now.

I really hope they don't go for McGhee, as much for McGhee's sake as anything. There's nothing worse than seeing one of the club's great players being, inevitably, shat upon by their own fans.

Guest idol_wild
offramp and I were discussing this earlier....other names we were bandying about were darren ferguson (not my choice!), lee richardson, neale cooper and john collins.

Darren Ferguson has been catching many an eye of late - not just because of two successive promotions, but also some of his innovative methods and approaches to the game.

But there's no way he'll leave Peterborough - a club that, in my opinion, will be in the Premiership within four years.

These days, Aberdeen are a nothing club with very little to look forward to in the future (not their fault - top flight Scottish football is just totally fucked generally). I think Jim Jeffires is probably a good shout for the job, purely because he has a pretty good track record with working at clubs with a shoe-string budget. This suits Aberdeen's requirements. Plus, he'll be relatively inexpensive to employ.

Is anyone else watching MOTD, and am I hearing things or did John Motson really call Anichebe "Anchovy"? I'd be taking an Insomnia-style rant at that and refusing to let MOTD show me ever again if he'd done that to me.

(Possibly because my name is nothing like "Anchovy")

Guest idol_wild

Oh, and while I'm online and thinking about the weekend's football - big condolances to you RossP. I think I'm right in saying that when Caley Thistle first reached the SPL, they were most people's "second club". Of course, that changed when they started to piss all over their "first club", but that was the beauty of ICT. I thought they contributed a lot to the SPL and I'd very much like to see them bounce back immediately. I feel it's important that the Highlands is represented in the top flight, and the fact that I was born in Inverness has nothing to do with me typing this. ;)

As a club, I'm slowly feeling more of a kinship with how ICT go about things and some of the players they employ. I think it's fair to say that I'm more likely to attend an ICT game next season than Aberdeen. They merit my money and attendance considerably more than Aberdeen do.

Oh, and Ayr winning in the playoffs.

Not only winning, but coming back from being two-nil down at half time, at home, in the first leg. More fucking comebacks than Sinatra. Absolutely delighted.

Have to say I do feel for Newcastle today and Duff in particular, it just doesn't seem right not having them in the Premiership.

On a lighter note, let's all feast our eyes on the boy wonder Ryan Stevenson, stroke the screen gently and thank him for putting Ayr in the first division.

Ryan_280x390_557085a.jpg

I'm a bit worried as to what will happen now. Sacking JC was a risk in my opinion. He did well to stabalize the club, but we need to have more ambition than just a top six finish and maybe Europe. We would have only settled for the same next season; a top six finish and into Europe. We needed to take this risk.

Jefferies would be a poor move. He did pretty much at other clubs as JC did for us. We do need something fresh, but this move could only set us back to stage one.

Everyone seems to resort to the Gothenburg guys, but as said before I think that would be a rash judgement and there is nothing worse than a fan favourite turning into a failure.

I hope it's onwards and upwards. :up:

Jim Jeffries can GTF. John Collins would be OK. I'm not 100% convinced on McGhee but his budget at Motherwell has been buttons compared to ours.

True but then again Aberdeen haven't spent megabucks.

The only players I can think of that JC has spent money on in five seasons are Wright (100k), Mulgrew (150k) and Lovell (250k).