aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

I don't understand how that would be funny? It would be extremely refreshing if they do manage to sneak in to 4th, because otherwise, it's going to be the same top 4 as last season (and the past however many seasons), in an ever so slightly different order. Villa are such an admirable side, with loads of home grown talent and a great manager. They've worked hard and got some good results in some big games, and been very unlucky in others. It was disappointing seeing Villa field a reserve side in the UEFA, but O'Neill had strung together a great bit of form in the league which I guess he didn't want to spoil. I think they would have had a great chance of winning the UEFA with their strongest options on the field though.

I hope Villa pick up, starting tomorrow at Anfield. It'd be a great result if they could scrape it together, but Liverpool are untouchable right now., which I hate to admit because Steven Gerrard is such an annoying shit

I think it'd be funny because it was a terrible decision to field a weakened side in the UEFA cup, and one that is so far completely unjustified by their recent league form. They had a real shot at winning that cup with their strongest side, which would have got them into the Champions League anyway. It's a lack of ambition disguised as 'realism'.

In addition, I don't really care if it's the same top four as last season. I watch MOTD pretty much every week for the decent football on offer, and in the hope Man Utd lose because they're a team choc-full of insufferable arseholes. League positions in what is essentially a foreign league don't really bother me.

IOn a more general note, I hate when people talk about 'their' team be it ManUtd/Chelsea/Liverpool/whoever when they were born and raised in Aberdeen/Edinburgh/Glasgow/wherever and have no links to that club whatsoever other than them being a good team.Support a local team.Without coming over too SNP, I think Scottish football, regardless of its quality, is more relevant to Scottish people than the efforts of a team hundreds of miles away in a city you've been to twice. The same applies to the zillions are arseholes who 'support' the Old Firm when they were born and raised hundreds of miles away. Achhh.

• Upvote 2

newcastle are going down i think!

I think you might be right. I'll never give up hope until it's mathematically impossible but the teams around us all got results today, and while we were never going to beat Arsenal losing by two goals is a bit of a blow.

This time last year Kevin Keegan went for broke with a front three of Viduka, Owen and Martins and we played some of the best football we've played in years. We just don't have somebody in charge with the balls to take that kind of step and it's probably going to cost us our Premiership status.

I don't think we played too badly today but we usually raise our game against the big four at SJP. There are far too many passengers who already have eyes on their next club, and I actually applaud Kinner/Hughton/Calderwood/whoeverthefuckisincharge for dropping Michael Owen who came onto the pitch and showed everyone why he'll probably be playing for Bolton or Portsmouth next season.

Too many playboys who are not up for the fight. I think getting relegated would be disasterous for a club like us but at least it would give us a chance to get away from the long-standing policy of pay over the odds for mediore players. We need to start again, even though we'd end up with a first team squad of Harper, Guthrie, Edgar, Ryan Taylor, Ameobi, Butt, Lovenkrands and some youngsters.

I guess I should show some respect to Steven Taylor. The boy's a pretty bad footballer but he plays his heart out for the club every week. I don't care how many times he smashes Ronaldo in the head, he plays for the shirt, looks absolutely ecstatic every time we score and looked like he was about to cry after the game today. Some of our "better" players should follow his example.

IOn a more general note, I hate when people talk about 'their' team be it ManUtd/Chelsea/Liverpool/whoever when they were born and raised in Aberdeen/Edinburgh/Glasgow/wherever and have no links to that club whatsoever other than them being a good team.Support a local team.Without coming over too SNP, I think Scottish football, regardless of its quality, is more relevant to Scottish people than the efforts of a team hundreds of miles away in a city you've been to twice. The same applies to the zillions are arseholes who 'support' the Old Firm when they were born and raised hundreds of miles away. Achhh.

Word. Quoted for utter truth.

On a more general note, I hate when people talk about 'their' team be it ManUtd/Chelsea/Liverpool/whoever when they were born and raised in Aberdeen/Edinburgh/Glasgow/wherever and have no links to that club whatsoever other than them being a good team.Support a local team.Without coming over too SNP, I think Scottish football, regardless of its quality, is more relevant to Scottish people than the efforts of a team hundreds of miles away in a city you've been to twice. The same applies to the zillions are arseholes who 'support' the Old Firm when they were born and raised hundreds of miles away. Achhh.

Amen to this. I've met one Man U fan in my entire life who had a legitimate right to support that team given that he had strong family connections in Manchester. Still, he should have picked City...

Being Scottish, the only football that concerns me is Scottish football. End of story. I refuse to talk about football with some Premiership/La Liga/whatever-fawning, glory-hunting No-Right on principle. "Your" team be fucked.

:up:

If anyone is bored and fancies having a go at the Scotland quiz i've made for the supporters bus down to Hampden, could you tell me if there's any mistakes...?? :up:

File name: Scotland Quiz for Iceland Bus.docx

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/zczymo0zt5v

File name: Answers for quiz.docx

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jong4m451lz

If the likes of Joss, Zippy and Corse are reading this don't open the files! Wait till next Wednesday!

I'm quite proud of this effort, some really good ones in there I feel :love:

I think you might be right. I'll never give up hope until it's mathematically impossible but the teams around us all got results today, and while we were never going to beat Arsenal losing by two goals is a bit of a blow.

This time last year Kevin Keegan went for broke with a front three of Viduka, Owen and Martins and we played some of the best football we've played in years. We just don't have somebody in charge with the balls to take that kind of step and it's probably going to cost us our Premiership status.

I don't think we played too badly today but we usually raise our game against the big four at SJP. There are far too many passengers who already have eyes on their next club, and I actually applaud Kinner/Hughton/Calderwood/whoeverthefuckisincharge for dropping Michael Owen who came onto the pitch and showed everyone why he'll probably be playing for Bolton or Portsmouth next season.

Too many playboys who are not up for the fight. I think getting relegated would be disasterous for a club like us but at least it would give us a chance to get away from the long-standing policy of pay over the odds for mediore players. We need to start again, even though we'd end up with a first team squad of Harper, Guthrie, Edgar, Ryan Taylor, Ameobi, Butt, Lovenkrands and some youngsters.

I guess I should show some respect to Steven Taylor. The boy's a pretty bad footballer but he plays his heart out for the club every week. I don't care how many times he smashes Ronaldo in the head, he plays for the shirt, looks absolutely ecstatic every time we score and looked like he was about to cry after the game today. Some of our "better" players should follow his example.

spot on, i'm not one of those newcastle haters, on paper they have a team that should have finished mid table at worst, even pushing for europe. they have too many over paid prima donnas who simply arent up for the fight. forcing keegan out was suicidal, he was the one man the toon army would give time to.

it would be great if villa could grab that 4th spot but i lost a lot of respect for MON, the way he disregarded the UEFA Cup, that decision is coming back to bite him, villa have been gash in the league ever since! still if they get a result against liverpool it would put them back on track.

• Upvote 1

What does the game consist of?

Poached from the Facebook group:

- Everytime a goal is scored:- 1 shot of beer

- Every sending off:- 1 shot of Jager (or substitute)

- Half time:- Absolutley no alcoholic beverages may be

imbibed during this period.

- Whenever Chris Kamara is talking:- You must be drinking

- Whenever Merson uses stupid rhyming slang (i.e."he's hit the beans on toast"!):- 1 shot of Jager

- In the second half, all teams can only be referred to by their nicknames:- Failure to do so results in a 3 beer shot penalty.

- Whenever Swindon Town appear on the vidiprinter: - Last person to shout out 'Mackerel' takes shot of Jager.

- Whenever Dundee appear on the vidiprinter:- Last person to shout out 'Football' takes shot of Jager.

- Everytime Phil Thompson says 'Stevie Gerrard':- 3 shots of beer.

- Everytime Jeff makes an 'A Trialist' joke:- 3 shots of beer.

- Everytime your team score:- 2 extra shots of beer

- Everytime Matty Taylor and 'Goal of the Season' are mentioned in the same sentence:- 1 shot of Jager

- Everytime Jeff calls Kenny Deucher 'The Good Doctor':- 1 shot of Whisky

- Any hint of racism (social or otherwise) from any of the pundits:- Quad bombs (4 jager+redbull) all round

- Everytime Hartlepool score a goal:- 3 shots of beer

- Everytime a pundit shouts off camera:- 2 shots of beer

- Everytime LeTiss is mentioned in connection with a takeaway: - 1 shot of Jager

- Whenever Chris Kamara says "its unbelievable Jeff", all drinks must be downed

- Everytime Jeff mentions "dancing in the streets of TNS: - 1 shot of jager

- Everytime Jeff says "its Doom and Gloom at..." - 1 shot of jager

- Everytime the team 'Keith' is referred to as just being one guy :- 1 shot of jager

- Everytime Brighton & Hove, or Daggers & Redbridge are jokingly referred to as two different teams playing the same oppo :- 1 shot of jager

- Everytime when Arbroath striker Kevin Webster scores and Stelling says "ohh, Sally will be pleased" :- 1 shot of Jager.

- Everytime anything bad happens to Craig Bellemy (injury, og, booked, arrested for assault etc.) :- 2 celebratory shots of the spirit of choice.

- Whenever Northampton Town appear on the vidiprinter, last person to shout out 'Cobblers' :- shot of Jager

- Whenever the Gareth Barry affair/scandal is mentioned :- shot of jager

- Whenever Ronaldo transfer speculation is mentioned :- shot of brandy

- Whenever a James Brown related joke is made :- Last person to sing 'I feel good' must down drink

- Whenever the James Brown statue dances :- Last person to dance along must have shot of tequila.

Dave did make it to Moorings/Weep last night, but not before spewing his ringer. Three times.

Out!

• Upvote 1

very much not recommended! i knew it was going to be harsh but i didn't think there would be three sendings off in about three minutes. me and my friend played a very much lightened version of it but still...i'm still feeling the effects of it. i am a silly boy!

• Upvote 1

a legitimate right to support that team

I don't really understand what this means. It's as if you're implying there is a team-supporting law that must be abided, or therefore you aren't a real fan of football. I support Wednesday because when I was 8, I filled the Wednesday pages in my Merlin Premier League sticker book before any other team and had an abundance of the shiny emblem in swap so I stuck them all over my bedroom. Leeds United were probably considered my local team (although Sheffield was only an additional 10 or so miles away than Leeds) but lets be reasonable - Everyone fucking hates Leeds. Even Leeds hate Leeds, and all the Leeds fans at my school were arrogant knobs who cared more about ManYoo losing than their own team winning.

I think it's pretty fair for Scottish folks to follow an English club if they so wish, regardless of family connections or geographic location, because English football is just better in practically every department, including the frequency and accessibility of TV coverage for a start.

i have to say the old 'why do you support the team you do' arguement confuses me as well! i mean there are no set rules! people support teams for a variety of different reasons, i know its annoying legions of man utd supporters coming from london but what can you do? its not something that concerns me, i guess i'm lucky, growing up a mile from the abbey stadium and started going to games when i was around 7. many deserted cambridge when i was at school esp in the early to mid 80's when we were beyond dreadful, a lot started supporting ipswich and latterly when ipswich went switch - arsenal or spurs.

I think it's pretty fair for Scottish folks to follow an English club if they so wish, regardless of family connections or geographic location, because English football is just better in practically every department, including the frequency and accessibility of TV coverage for a start.

It's not really better in terms of "frequency and accessibility" of live action though is it?

e.g. Is it easier for a Man Utd "supporter" in Aberdeen to go see Man Utd than to go see Aberdeen? No, clearly.

Is it easier for them to sit in the house and watch Man Utd than it would be to go see Aberdeen live? Not really.

Is it cheaper? Not really (Sky subscription, Setanta subscription, MUTV subscription etc).

Is it warmer to stay in the house? Yes.

Is the football better? Yes.

Is the atmosphere the same as at a live match? Absolutely not.

I follow Everton in England (not support, I stress) just because I like watching the Premiership for the standard of football and I find it has a little more meaning if you're cheering for someone. Though I would never call myself an Everton fan or supporter because I don't really care if they lose (whereas I'm still hurting from the Dons getting knocked out of the cup by Dung-fermline), and I don't really feel any connection with them, having never been to Goodison or even to Liverpool. I don't pay much attention to Spanish or Italian football, I'll watch a game if it's on but I don't really follow it.

I used to know a girl that took a supporters bus down to Old Trafford every second Saturday, from Aberdeen. it had to leave at like 7am and didn't get back in till about 11pm. Fuck. That.

its tighter than a ducks arse down at the arse end of the premiershit as baffled managers try and get their overpaid prima donna foreign imports to battle against the drop. west brom, middlesboro and newcastle to be playing at the likes of ipswich, doncaster and QPR next season although maybe newcastle might get themselves out of the shit at the expense of hull who seem to be in total freefall right now.

I used to know a girl that took a supporters bus down to Old Trafford every second Saturday, from Aberdeen. it had to leave at like 7am and didn't get back in till about 11pm. Fuck. That.

Oh, man. The supporters club branches get completely arsehole tickets too. My mum and step dad are United fans, and used to live next door to the treasurer of the branch for that area, so I went a few times when I was young. about 5 times, we got lumped in the 3rd row next to the corner flag. It was mint when they took a corner or an attacking throw in, but for about 95% of the game you could see absolutely nothing. Everyone around us were up on their feet with their arms in the air everytime something even touched the side netting. Is it a goal? Did he miss? Is it the goalie hanging his towel in the net? Is the net shaking as he wipes his hands? it didn't matter, we cheered anyway.

And that was for a supportes club only 40 miles away. I can't imagine what a branch 300 miles away will get. They probably get tickets for seats facing the the wrong way... at Eastlands.

Very surprisingly, the easiest time to get to a United game is a Champion League game. The one time we got a great seat was about 2001 (I think) against Real Madrid in the quarters. United got trounced. Best game I've ever been to. It was difficult to be neutral in the Stretford end, but I didn't really care who won. Ronaldo was just sublime. The fat one. Not the one who's probably been in more issues of Heat than FourFourTwo.

Alot of empty seats that night too. I guess its hard for the real United fans in Milton Keynes, Dublin and Beijing to get there on a school night.

• Upvote 1