aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

2007/08 is over now, so lets talk about the forthcoming season.

Can it possibly follow the exciting season we've just had?

Who would you like to see sign for your club? Who would you like to see leave?

Are you going to any pre-season friendlies?

How will Scotalnd fare in the forthcoming qualification campaign?

For Newcastle, I'd like to see King Kev punt some of the shite in the Summer. I don't expect David Rozehnal to be seen in a black and white shirt again, and I'd love to see the back of Alan Smith and Super Shola. I can see Duff and/or N'Zogbia leaving as well, and I wouldn't be too surprised if one of Owen/Martins left along with Shay Given (provided that Steve Harper starts next season in goals, which I imagine he will given his recent form).

That leaves a big shopping list! We could do with strengthening just about every position on the field, apart from in goals (Harper and Given are top notch, while Tim Krul, Fraser Forster and Ole Soderberg look good for the future). In defence I'd like to see a left-back to compete with Enrique, a right-back as back-up to Habib Beye, and a rock solid centre-half, Richard Dunne in an ideal world. In midfield we'll probably need to replace N'Zogbia/Duff, and we still lack a bit of creativity through the middle. Wouldn't mind seeing that Arshavin bloke from Zenit, actually. Then up front we MIGHT have to replace Martins/Owen... and we should probably sign a target man to rotate with The Fat Guy (Viduka).

Should be a pretty exciting Summer =). Hopefully this coming season will see a few more youngsters coming through the ranks; Kazenga LuaLua, Tamas Kadar and Fabio Zamblera in particular look pretty tasty.

I'd like to say I'm looking forward to next season, because it can't possibly get any worse than the last year... but that would be tempting fate. And yes, I am still aware I tipped us for easy promotion to the SPL at the beggining of 07/08.

We've got rid of a lot of deadwood in January and end of season. It's particularly pleasing to get shot of the relatively expensive wasters who have been shite or injured this season - Simmons, Young, Morrison, McManus, etc etc.

The new signings look decent so far. Steven Bell is young, fresh and has some pace about him which is exactly what we need in the midfield. I haven't seen much of Graeme Holmes, but apparently he's been brought in as the 'creative' midfield player we've been crying out for all season. Austin McCann is a quality signing at left back - if we can hold on to Scott Wilson then that's a solid defence for next season.

We still need a lot more players though. I'd like to see; a sub goalkeeper, a versatile defender, a really quality winger and at least 2 strikers. Here's hoping.

Steven Bell is indeed a really good signing, the one Bino of the past two or three years I'd have happily brought north to the Heed.

We're looking at needing: 1 goalkeeper, 2 left-backs, a central midfield, and a striker, but Coops certainly has the right track record to sort us out.

Who's the smart money on to be next Chelsea manager then? I heard Mark Hughes being mentioned, which is just ludicrous.

Hopes for the Dons - ship out some of the dead wood and Milne actually opening his bulging wallet and giving JC some money to spend, rather than ANOTHER season of losing quality players and replacing them with Bosman duds.

Those buying season tickets will get first priority. I've been told by a reliable Pittodrie source that tickets will be on general sale 30th June, if I remember correctly.

They're not very reliable - in which case it might have been one of our defence - they're on general sale on June 21st.

ABERDEEN FC SEASON TICKETS | Aberdeen | News | Club News | Club News

hopefully we (montrose) are going to win the league next year. we need to strengthen our squad and bring in a quality full backs, a quality striker, solid midfielder and consistent winger.

rumour has it bairdy has signed on for another year, which is BRILLIANT news

in good news for us (apparently!!), ex blackburn full back Stuart Cumming (easily our worst player) is off to mk dons or southend for 100k. which would be unreal!

:D

Who's the smart money on to be next Chelsea manager then? I heard Mark Hughes being mentioned, which is just ludicrous.

I don't think it is that bad of idea actually. Personally my first choice would be Hiddink but the talk coming from his camp seems to suggest he'll stay put with Russia until the next world cup. After him though I would take Hughes, he has proven himself to be a good coach and have an astute eye in the transfer market. I'd bet on him being able to handle the pressure that would come with the job too. He's one ofthe few managers from outside the "big 4" who could rightfully claim they deserve a chance with a bigger club. I expect the chelsea board to be a bit less adventurous though, we'll probably end up with Scolari or Rijkaard, both of which would be disappointing imo.

in good news for us (apparently!!), ex blackburn full back Stuart Cumming (easily our worst player) is off to mk dons or southend for 100k. which would be unreal!

:D

Heard that Celtic were after him whilst he was playing for Elgin o_O

Haven't heard anything about Wood joining Montrose on loan again ?(

Allegedly Alan Smith of Newcastle is going to the huns as well. He'd probably be alright in the SPL.

I hope you are right, sir.

To be honest, I think he'd still be pretty fucking shit even in the SPL though. Might be good for 6-8 goals a season, something like that.

Looks like Richie Foran and Charlie Mulgrew are fixing to sign for the Dandies, both of whom will help us out on the problematic left side. However, we desperately need a decent, experienced centre back - Steven Pressley, anyone? Gary McDonald is a good player, but i don't know anything about this Bossu customer between the sticks. I kinda thought JC would've had a wee punt on Paul Gallacher from Dunfermline, who is absolutely wasted in Div 1.

Love from Christy

Looks like Richie Foran and Charlie Mulgrew are fixing to sign for the Dandies, both of whom will help us out on the problematic left side. However, we desperately need a decent, experienced centre back - Steven Pressley, anyone? Gary McDonald is a good player, but i don't know anything about this Bossu customer between the sticks. I kinda thought JC would've had a wee punt on Paul Gallacher from Dunfermline, who is absolutely wasted in Div 1.

Love from Christy

Pressley would be a great signing. I can't see him coming here though.

I don't remember much of Gary MacDonald be it sounds as if he's a decent player. If we sign Bossu I'll be chuffed because he's foreign. Even if he's crap, signing someone foreign excites me more than someone Scottish. (to the tune of Theo! Theo! Theo!) BOSSU! BOSSU! BOSSU! He's massive as well. Foreign giants are always good signings :up: