aberdeen-music

stoner rock

lepeep

There was an immense Welsh stoner band a few years ago caled Acrimony, i think they just released one album and an EP, well worth checking out if you can find them.

apart from that:

Kyuss are one of my favourite bands ever.

Monster Magnet's early stuff, before they went stadium rock, is brilliant. 'Dopes to infinity' might be my favourite.

Clutch and Fatso Jetson are mighty.

I'm not so keen on the whole slew of generic stoner rock bands that followed aftre Kyuss, and a lot of the British stoner stuff sounds too retro (Cathedral and those kind of bands). Sleep were an experience, but I can't say i rate high on fire, they're a little dull.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by chris h:

There was an immense Welsh stoner band a few years ago caled Acrimony, i think they just released one album and an EP, well worth checking out if you can find them.

apart from that:

Kyuss are one of my favourite bands ever.

Monster Magnet's early stuff, before they went stadium rock, is brilliant. 'Dopes to infinity' might be my favourite.

Clutch and Fatso Jetson are mighty.

I'm not so keen on the whole slew of generic stoner rock bands that followed aftre Kyuss, and a lot of the British stoner stuff sounds too retro (Cathedral and those kind of bands). Sleep were an experience, but I can't say i rate high on fire, they're a little dull.

chrid i thought you'tr girlfriend had sappped the lioving soul form you., this is about hte only reasin i love you...

Originally posted by craig deadenstereo:

chrid i thought you'tr girlfriend had sappped the lioving soul form you., this is about hte only reasin i love you...

Craig, judging by your harrowing linguistic exploits, I can only assume you've been taking this whole stoner rock thing a little seriously. :)

I've been meaning to tell you to check out Acrimony for ages - go fetch!

You heard any Clutch yet?

Also, Fu Manchu are quite good, although I find they get a little repetitive. Same goes for Nebula, who are fantastic live.

Anyone ever experienced Electric Wizard? I'd say you have to be fairly committed to losing touch with reality to get into them....

Craig, judging by your harrowing linguistic exploits, I can only assume you've been taking this whole stoner rock thing a little seriously. :)

I've been meaning to tell you to check out Acrimony for ages - go fetch!

You heard any Clutch yet?

Also, Fu Manchu are quite good, although I find they get a little repetitive. Same goes for Nebula, who are fantastic live.

Anyone ever experienced Electric Wizard? I'd say you have to be fairly committed to losing touch with reality to get into them....

D'oh - drunk again! I don't even remember going on the computer lasr night, but my keys were next to it......

I got a live clutch track downloaded - Immortal. the singer is ridicously rock n roll.

I have a bit of Fu Manchu - they are a little samey, but fuck me - the riffs are incredible. HELL ON WHEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig

I always find it hard to say what my favourite clutch LP is, as the styles vary quite a lot, if you want pantera esqu "power metal" (fit?!)...get transitional speedways...(blah blah)...

stoner rock = "clutch : clutch"

most of the stuff after Clutch (the LP with the moon on the front) is still stoner esque, but far more melodious (?)..

all of their albums are my favourite (except that cheese riddled "pure rock fury" lp (I think they were trying to gain the "kids" support, very youf orientated (to my ears))

Jonny, I did indeed catch clutch at therapy?...Infact, I left after they finished, I paid my money to see them. (saw therapy back in the potato junky / teeth grider "hay days"...and I didn't want to spoil my memories of them!)

PS< seen this ?....what what what ?!

http://www.verydistro.com/moreinfo.asp?id=10428

or here for some sound clips from amazon :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001MDP5O/ref=ase_prorocktheoff-20/102-8978796-7098557?v=glance&s=music

Originally posted by Jonny Lucifer:

Anyone catch Clutch with Therapy? at the Lemontree a few years back? Awesome, blew the other support and headliners clear outta the building.

That was an ace night. "Release The Krakken" was immense.

Macrocosmica, Kyuss, Monster Magnet and Iron fucking Monkey get me moist when I'm in the mood for some stoner action.

Does anyone remember Slo Burn? They were the band John Garcia formed after Kyuss and they were fucking ACE. They had a song called "Pilot The Dune" that all you stoner rock people should try and get a hold of. It's a mighty slab of rock.

I remember Slo Burn.. they released an EP, and 'Pilot the Dune' was the only good song on it really... but it was one hell of a song! I went to see Unida in Glasgow - they were OK, but to be honest the music was a bit hard rock by numbers - was worth it just to see Garcia in action though. What a voice. My brother got an EP by his new outfit, Hermano, but again he just seems to be trading on the old Kyuss thing, not doing anything new...

I saw Clutch in Glasgow, can't remember who they played with though. In fact, I've a feeling that was with Nebula. Or maybe Orange Goblin? I've seen all those bands at one point anyway. Clutch were just the heaviest, tightest band I've ever seen, totally mighty.

I like this thread!

Johnny - weird that you mentioned Cowie there, I could've sworn I saw him yesterday in the Meadows in Edinburgh...

Oh man here we go - 5 bands?? get fucked, Im gonna get all anal and break stoner down into sub-stoner sections... (hey fuck you buddy, i work in a record shop of course im a geek!)

Sludge stoner - Iron Monkey, Eyehategod, Mistress, Sally, Weedeater, Sleep

Doom stoner - the mighty Electric Wizard, Cathedral

Stoner stoner - Kyuss, Gonga, Fu Manchu, Goatsnake

Stoner originals - Black Sabbath, St. Vitus

Mellow Stoner - Dead Meadow, Bardo Pond (for when it all gets a bit too much...)

Fuckin hell yeah!! Hail the leaf!

EDIT: Like Dave said... come to Valhella stoners, we'll expand your minds!!!

Johnny - weird that you mentioned Cowie there, I could've sworn I saw him yesterday in the Meadows in Edinburgh...

Cowie moves in mysterious ways...hence stoner rock is his weapon of choice. He and Robb (A Go-Go) are supposed to be working on a stoner-type project, but knowing them it may fall by the wayside in a cloud of funny smelling smoke X-(

escape from the prison planet on clutch is one of my favourite rock songs of all time. pure fucking stoner opera.

incidentally seeing as someone mentioned electric wizard, new album out on 14th of june and it's gonna fucking rule. there's a track free with terrorizer this month and it's just ridiculously heavy and doomy. and it gets damned slow near the end as well.