aberdeen-music

..A thought that passed me

I've no idea when I joined, but I joined because I used to stay in Aberdeen and was a regular at the gigs of a fair few local bands. I've moved to Glasgow now, but I do like this forum. I don't post an awful lot, I tend to go through phases with the internet, but I'm jobless right now so I've got far too much time on my hands.

...and partly due to facebook/bebo/myspace filling the gap.

This more than any other reason I'd say. What we used to see a few years ago was that the same group of peeps would just sit on the web site for hours and hours when they were at school, uni, work or whatever, as there was nothing else to really do on-line. But the social networks have replaced that need and what you'll find now is that people come to this web site with a specific purpose in mind (e.g. looking for a band members, selling some gear, checking out what's on etc). And to be honest, I'd quite happy with it being that way now.

Once I get my ass in gear and get the new site on-line then it will be interesting to see what develops. It will be running on the latest version of vBulletin (v3.7) and that contains a greater emphasis on the social networking aspects of the forums.

Guest Steven Dedalus
But the social networks have replaced that need and what you'll find now is that people come to this web site with a specific purpose in mind (e.g. looking for a band members, selling some gear, checking out what's on etc). And to be honest, I'd quite happy with it being that way now.

But what happened to the MUSIC DISUSSION part of it? I like talking about music, and considering that I'm currently in the Religion and Ethics department at work, there isn't a lot of chat about favourite bands...

Also, the tone of the stuff in the general discussion bit has been completely off-putting recently, and has made the site feel like an 'old boys club.'

I know I've been complaining about it a lot, but it's seriously made me think about just cancelling my account and not bothering with it anymore.

Like I said earlier, I joined up to stay in touch with people I knew from being involved in the local music scene, and if it's descended into a load of derogatory nonsesne, then I can conclude that the people I want to talk to aren't here anymore, and that there's not much point in me being here anymore.

I hate to sound like an old whiner, but I am, so I can't help it.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
the football thread is great

WOOF!

I joined 4 years ago now (fuck!) because NotBald told me folk were slagging Spike off on that interweb thing so I wanted to see how pish people thought we were. Surprised folk are so down on it compared to "how it used to be", I find it's generally better in some ways.

A forum is only as good as the folk who post on it...

:up:

I joined in 2005 because Elwood Dedos/ Elwood Bateman/ Lucky Rathen/ whatever he's calling himself this week, made me.

It was still the Wasteland then but I think I joined just before scene points or whatever they were called was abolished due to misuse or something.

joined the bravenet fudge and aubl boards back in the day. god knows how long ago but we started giggin in aberdeen in 1999 so that's be a fair guess if they were around then. it's ofless interest to me now because it was a social hub and i know very few people on here now so the banter isn't as relevant as it was (i.e. things were typcally amusing to me because i knew the people saying them) and also i don't play that much any more, but every now and then there's something of interest and so that kees me popping back.

as has been said, the rise of social networking has thinned things out but it's all gravy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest treader.

i joined in late 2002 when i was 13/14and just started going to gigs.

shortly after i formed JEDI with some friends from school (hahahah)

i posted a LOT of shit when i was younger, thinking i was really smart.

then i got banned for called jamesy a rude word.

then i re-registered in whenever it says over there <---------------------

and now i just kill threads by posting in them.

Guest idol_wild

I initially signed up around six years ago. I think it was mainly to keep tabs on local bands I liked to see, mainly The X-certs, The Gloria Flaw, and Dedalus.

I think I found it via a google search.