aberdeen-music

The Lucky Rathen Weezer news thread

Lemonade

• 1 month later...

To quote me, a year ago right before Raditude dropped:

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Don't stop believing. This album is going to be awesome. Awesome I tell you. Surely even Rivers must have realised Red was pretty cack and head in a different direction for this one. Weezer, to give them their dues, have always listened to the fans first and foremost, and if the fans hated what they did on Red, they surely wouldn't do the same thing again. Quick, someone back me up before all this blind optimism wears off.

This still applies, pretty much word for word.

*pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood*

First impression is that this record is much better than Raditude at least. The first four tracks are all excellent, the stand-out being "Unspoken", "Trainwrecks" is ace as well. The guitars on all the tracks sound really fuzzy and dirty, like on Blue. Brilliant. Then just when you think it's a return to form, it all goes downhill from track 5, "Where's My Sex", which sounds great musically (4 chords! Fuzz! Harmonies!) but the lyrics are just balls. The reamining 5 are all pretty poor as well, not quite Raditude-poor but poor (though "Smart Girls" as at least fun) and just so...... empty. It just feels like they aren't trying. It falls into the trap of the last 2 albums - opening with a few standout tracks before falling into wanky experimental shit with weird instruments and country and western. The last track is almost unlistenable. The chances of Weezer ever making another great album are minimal, but this one is at least better than the last one, the first four tracks are superb but it falls away alarmingly. With 4, maybe 5 good songs I'd rate it above Raditude, which had 2 good songs, about level with Red, which had 4 good songs, 5 if you count "Automatic". But it doesn't come close to any of their other 5 albums.

I'm going to merge the best tracks of the last three albums into one good album, and just listen to that.

1 - Troublemaker

2 - Pork & Beans

3 - The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

4 - Dreamin'

5 - If You're Wondering If I Want You To (I Want You To)

6 - I'm Your Daddy

7 - Memories

8 - Ruling Me

9 - Trainwrecks

10 - Unspoken

Now that's a good album.

Still, as long as Weezer are recording music, I'll probably never give up on the hope that they might just strike gold one more time.

• 2 weeks later...