aberdeen-music

The Lucky Rathen Weezer news thread

Lemonade

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got Death To False Metal. Like most modern Weezer albums it starts out with a couple of decent jams but it's mostly average thereafter. "Blowin' My Stack" is far and away the standout track, one of my favourite songs at the moment. "I'm A Robot" and "The Odd Couple" sound like Weezer do Sesame Street, and "Trampoline" sounds like it was written by a bunch of 15 year old who just got their first guitars. Rivers doesn't rap thankfully but some of his lyrics actually make me cringe a little. Tho the cover of Toni Braxton's "Unbreak My Heart" is unexpectedly great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 16/01/2016 at 11:59 PM, Lemonade said:

Weezer's new self-titled album due out on 1st April. I expect this one will be known as white. Because it's white. Hopefully it won't be another word that rhymes with white. 

What did everyone think of Everything Will Be Alright In The End?

I went into it expecting to not make it all the way through the album and now I'm shocked to report that I ended up really liking it. It's obviously not as good as Prime Weezer but I think it's no worse than Green/Maladroit so I still go back to listen to it from time to time.

I hated it on first listen, ignored it for 6 months, listened to it again, hated it again, but I've softened on it recently. There are a lot of decent tracks on it. I do that thing I always do where I have unrealistically high expectations for a new Weezer album and am inevitably disappointed, then go back later with no expectations and go "this is alright actually".

• 1 year later...

It's summer, so I've been listening to Weezer, a lot. So here is the new definitive order of Weezer greatness, as decided by me:

1. Blue. Obviously
2. Maladroit. Riffs.
3. Green. Joyous pop.
4. Pinkerton. Not as good as people say it is, apart from Tired of Sex.
5. Everything else, because everything else is worse than everything named above.

Come at me.

Edited by Soda Jerk

9 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

It's summer, so I've been listening to Weezer, a lot. So here is the new definitive order of Weezer greatness, as decided by me:

1. Blue. Obviously
2. Maladroit. Riffs.
3. Green. Joyous pop.
4. Pinkerton. Not as good as people say it is, apart from Tired of Sex.
5. Everything else, because everything else is worse than everything named above.

Come at me.

I haven't listed Weezer albums in order of preference for a while. I'll do it tonight. Their last album was the return to form I've been hoping for since Make Believe. Seriously good album. I'd completely given up hope. 

Blue 

Green

Pinkerton 

White

Make Believe

Red

Maladroit

Hurley

Everything Will Be Alright In The End

Raditude 

Death To False Metal 

I know you love Maladroit, I just don't get it. It's by a long way the Weezer album I've listened to least*, there's just nothing compelling about it to me. I don't even really know it that well. I've played it a few times and gone meh, and put Blue on. 

*technically the album I've listened to least is Death To False Metal, but that's a b-sides album so it doesn't count. Fuck it's crap though. I've listened to it once. No part of me wants to repeat that.