aberdeen-music

The Lucky Rathen Weezer news thread

Lemonade

I bought the 'Buddy Holly' single when it came out but the only album I owned for years was the Green one because I thought 'Hash Pipe' was a total tune and a half. Which I still do. I bought the Blue album 2nd hand recently, I didn't hate it but I wasn't blown away either. Maybe I need to investigate some others if I can get 'em cheap....

I bought the 'Buddy Holly' single when it came out but the only album I owned for years was the Green one because I thought 'Hash Pipe' was a total tune and a half. Which I still do. I bought the Blue album 2nd hand recently, I didn't hate it but I wasn't blown away either. Maybe I need to investigate some others if I can get 'em cheap....

Pinkerton is what you require.

• 2 weeks later...

After a few listens, this album isn't nearly as wretched as I had orignally thought. Don't get me wrong, it's not a good album, but if you skip the awful rap song (Can't Stop Partying) and the weird Bhangra one (Love Is The Answer) then the rest of it is mostly the 4-chord rock that Weezer do so well. The problem is that compared to the stuff on their other albums they all sound like B-sides that weren't good enough to make the albums. There's not really one track that would get onto Blue, or Green, or even Maladroit on merit. It's not terrible, but it's so very very average. Still better than Red though.

You know what the problem is with the last two albums? They don't sound like they're enjoying it any more.

After a few listens, this album isn't nearly as wretched as I had orignally thought. Don't get me wrong, it's not a good album, but if you skip the awful rap song (Can't Stop Partying) and the weird Bhangra one (Love Is The Answer) then the rest of it is mostly the 4-chord rock that Weezer do so well. The problem is that compared to the stuff on their other albums they all sound like B-sides that weren't good enough to make the albums. There's not really one track that would get onto Blue, or Green, or even Maladroit on merit. It's not terrible, but it's so very very average. Still better than Red though.

You know what the problem is with the last two albums? They don't sound like they're enjoying it any more.

I gave Raditude a first listen yesterday and was seriously unimpressed. Over-produced to fuck. What ever happened to dirty pop songs?

I always thought that Weezer sounded like they were enjoying it too much. Cuomo needs to get his heart ripped out and shat on by a stampede of those beautiful asian women he digs so much. Perhaps he'll then grow a beard and become a batshit mental recluse again, forcing himself to write great songs.

Can't stop partying? The girl got hot? I'm the greatest man that ever lived? He's loving life too much. Killing his family or something would probably do the trick.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
After a few listens, this album isn't nearly as wretched as I had orignally thought. Don't get me wrong, it's not a good album, but if you skip the awful rap song (Can't Stop Partying) and the weird Bhangra one (Love Is The Answer) then the rest of it is mostly the 4-chord rock that Weezer do so well. The problem is that compared to the stuff on their other albums they all sound like B-sides that weren't good enough to make the albums. There's not really one track that would get onto Blue, or Green, or even Maladroit on merit.It's not terrible, but it's so very very average. Still better than Red though.

This is not true. I was just being upbeat.

• 1 month later...

Weezer signing to Epitaph is weird. Brett Gurewitz lost his marbles many years ago. He dropped all the bands that helped get his label off the ground, and replaced them with weird electronica, and other gastly shite.

I can't imagine there's much chance Weezer are going to release a good record again anyway.

Weezer signing to Epitaph is weird. Brett Gurewitz lost his marbles many years ago. He dropped all the bands that helped get his label off the ground, and replaced them with weird electronica, and other gastly shite.

I can't imagine there's much chance Weezer are going to release a good record again anyway.

Agreed. The last two have been horrible, I think their number is well and truly up.

I liked Make Believe. I've gone into the last two albums with a sense of optimism. "This is going to be a great album". And inevitably ended up disappointed. I'm expecting this one to be shite, so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Raditude man. What the fuck where they thinking? I could write a better Weezer album than that. Four chords. Fuzz. Harmony. It's easy! No rapping. No Lady Gaga style electronica. No guest appearances from Lil' Wayne. No Bollywood singing.