aberdeen-music

The Lucky Rathen Weezer news thread

Lemonade

Initial thoughts on Pacific Daydream: mixed. It's a natural follow up to the White Album, more summery pop songs, only with all the rock aspects removed. No fuzzy guitars, just weird keyboard and electronic sounds. Bold. The songs are really well written and sound super polished, but they're also entirely forgettable. If it were another artist I might be willing to get down on it but it's Weezer. This isn't how I like my Weezer. At least after the first two tracks (arguably the worst two) there are no really arse-clenchingly cringe moments, which is pretty good for a modern Weezer album. Will listen again but don't see myself ever loving this album. 

Edited by Lemonade

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 1:55 PM, Lemonade said:

Initial thoughts on Pacific Daydream: mixed. It's a natural follow up to the White Album, more summery pop songs, only with all the rock aspects removed. No fuzzy guitars, just weird keyboard and electronic sounds. Bold. The songs are really well written and sound super polished, but they're also entirely forgettable. If it were another artist I might be willing to get down on it but it's Weezer. This isn't how I like my Weezer. At least after the first two tracks (arguably the worst two) there are no really arse-clenchingly cringe moments, which is pretty good for a modern Weezer album. Will listen again but don't see myself ever loving this album. 

A year on I'm still waiting for this album to grow on me. I think it might just be a really well-polished turd. 

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

You can just about tell it's Rivers singing. The backing band could be anyone.

Why cover if you're not going to make it sound like you?

It's approaching 20 years since they last released something that didn't make me think "Urgh, what the hell?". Call it a day.

Exactly my thoughts. They haven't put any of their own stamp on it. It sounds like Rivers singing karaoke over the original backing tracks. The last album was fucking shite as well. I'm not hopeful for Black. 

Quantity over quality for sure. Somehow they seem to be going through something of a revival at the moment. Pacific Daydream was well received and it was nominated for a Grammy (imo its their worst album, and I'm not just using hyperbole there). White did really well too, and the whole Internet was jizzing over that terrible Africa cover. Somehow Weezer are relevant again. Rivers must have made a deal with the devil, its the only explanation. 

The bar for Weezer material to be deemed good gets lower by the year.

People seem to be raving about this covers album, yet it's just so pointless, but because it doesn't make you recoil like "We are all on drugs", then it gets a pass.

I wish Pat would bail on these hacks do more Special Goodness. The 'Land Air and Sea' album is far and away the best Weezer-related output since Maladroit.