aberdeen-music

The Lucky Rathen Weezer news thread

Lemonade

I like Dope Nose and December. The rest I can take or leave. I'll listen to it next week and try to get to know it a bit better. I'm doing a thing at the moment where I listen to the same album on my lunch break every day for a week as an antidote to the Spotify effect of having a million albums to listen to and never listening to the same thing twice. This week it's "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" by The Cure. Next week, Maladroit. 

Though I did think me not putting Pinkerton in the top 2 would be controversial, but apparently not.

I did used to love Pinkerton, in my teens (which should be no barometer of quality, as I also liked ska-punk in my teens). Then I went through a long period of not listening to any Weezer. Coming back to them, I find Pinkerton hard to sit through. First 3 tracks are glorious. It goes downhill quick after those 3. There's some pretty awful lyrics on that thing, and everything just sounds so... bad. Even on the good songs.

I've never listened to False Metal, Raditude and Hurley all the way through. I've heard most of the songs, and usually turned it off at somepoint. I don't feel so bad about it now knowing they're at the bottom of your table.

3 minutes ago, Soda Jerk said:

Though I did think me not putting Pinkerton in the top 2 would be controversial, but apparently not.

Incorrect, because you are wrong.

Pinkerton, Butterfly aside is the best Weezer record. Also I think the production is great.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes

1 minute ago, Lemonade said:

I like Dope Nose and December. The rest I can take or leave. I'll listen to it next week and try to get to know it a bit better. I'm doing a thing at the moment where I listen to the same album on my lunch break every day for a week as an antidote to the Spotify effect of having a million albums to listen to and never listening to the same thing twice. This week it's "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" by The Cure. Next week, Maladroit. 

That's a pretty cool idea. And listening to Maladroit every day for a week sounds like a great week.

Slave, Slob and Love Explosion are probably my 3 favourites from Maladroit. The latter especially. I'd be surprised if you don't dig those after a week of repeated listens. They are poptastic.

If we had more people actually posting on here, your one album a week idea would be a pretty cool thing to chatter about. Alas, it would just be me and you, arguing about Maladroit.

1 minute ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

Incorrect, because you are wrong.

Pinkerton, Butterfly aside is the best Weezer record. Also I think the production is great.

Make like a GCSE exam and show your work.

Here's mine.

Blue has no bad songs, that's not even up for debate. 

Pinkerton has a few - Butterfly and El Scorcho namely, and if you disagree on El Scorcho, can you really listen to a song that has "I'll bring home the turkey if you bring home the bacon" as a lyric and think "Yeah, this is a good jam"? Naaaah. Awful. It was the beginning of Rivers' sing/rap thing, though it's quite subtle, and that fast punk bit in the middle is totally weird, and bad. Mostly bad.

Pinkerton is supposedly Rivers' total breakdown of an album, but no song on that album comes close to the genuine sadness that comes through on the Blue Album. It just comes off as creepy.

First 3 tracks - solid and as good as anything on Blue. Why Bother, Good Life, average. Across The Sea, really creepy and weird. El Scorcho, awful. Pink Triangle similarly weird as Across The Sea. Falling For You, not bad. Butterfly, acoustic closers are wack. If they did it as a full band, it could be good. But they didn't. The drums sounding like cereal boxes gives it all a massive thumbs down.

I listen to those first 3 and rock out, then get a little bored, skip over El Scorcho and to avoid the cringing, realise that I've only got 3 songs left and there's only 1 worth listening to, and it's not even that good.

It got totally panned when it was released. Opinions seemed to change years after. Those gut instincts were the right ones, not the romantic revisionism.

Pinkerton stinks.

Stinkerton.

1 hour ago, Soda Jerk said:

I did used to love Pinkerton, in my teens (which should be no barometer of quality, as I also liked ska-punk in my teens). Then I went through a long period of not listening to any Weezer. Coming back to them, I find Pinkerton hard to sit through. First 3 tracks are glorious. It goes downhill quick after those 3. There's some pretty awful lyrics on that thing, and everything just sounds so... bad. Even on the good songs.

I've never listened to False Metal, Raditude and Hurley all the way through. I've heard most of the songs, and usually turned it off at somepoint. I don't feel so bad about it now knowing they're at the bottom of your table.

I have kind of a weird history with Weezer. I loved Blue when it came out, it's been one of my favourite albums since 1994, but then for some reason I never bothered listening to another Weezer album for the next 10 years, I just listened to Blue over and over and over and over again. The next album I listened to was Make Believe when it came out in 2005, which I loved and listened to religiously. I then went back and starting filling in the gaps with the ones I'd missed, starting with Green which I also loved, then I bought Maladroit and Pinkerton together and tried to sort of cram them in to my head. I think this is the reason I don't perhaps hold these in as high regard as other fans (and probably the reason I hold Make Believe in higher esteem than most fans - it was my "in" (although technically it was a re-in). 

Because of this weird anomaly, and because I listened to all the post-Make Believe albums heavily as they were released, I actually know all the shit albums better than I know Pinkerton and Maladroit.

When I got Maladroit I stuck the CD in my car and played it on a loop for like a month. (I remember Love Explosion being a belter actually). However this was 10+ years ago, and I think that's probably the last time I listened to Maladroit.

Hurley starts out with 4 or 5 really good songs, then descends in to bollocks. It was at the peak of some of Rivers' cringiest lyrics (listen to "Where's My Sex?"). The tunes were banging throughout, good old 4/4 rock, none of the weird stuff like on Red (country) and Raditude (whatever), it's the lyrics that let it down. Mega cringe.

1 hour ago, Soda Jerk said:

That's a pretty cool idea. And listening to Maladroit every day for a week sounds like a great week.

Slave, Slob and Love Explosion are probably my 3 favourites from Maladroit. The latter especially. I'd be surprised if you don't dig those after a week of repeated listens. They are poptastic.

If we had more people actually posting on here, your one album a week idea would be a pretty cool thing to chatter about. Alas, it would just be me and you, arguing about Maladroit.

So we just pick a thread, listen to an album for a week then review it? Or do we all listen to the same album? We tried that and it died. 

I guess us all listening to the same albums would result in several reviews of the same album, which would be no fun to read. Perhaps just picking an album from our own collections that we've not paid much attention to in a while and give a week of non stop attention sounds cool, and certainly combats the anxiety caused by the overwhelming selection you have available on Spotify, YouTube etc. But it will still die, because there's only about 5 of us left.

I dig the idea though. I've got 130gb of music on my Mp3 player, and I find myself listening to 2 or 3 songs on the way to work, and then putting something else on, again and again. I get annoyed with myself just constantly scrolling through, picking something and then quickly losing interest.

25 minutes ago, Soda Jerk said:

I guess us all listening to the same albums would result in several reviews of the same album, which would be no fun to read. Perhaps just picking an album from our own collections that we've not paid much attention to in a while and give a week of non stop attention sounds cool, and certainly combats the anxiety caused by the overwhelming selection you have available on Spotify, YouTube etc. But it will still die, because there's only about 5 of us left.

I dig the idea though. I've got 130gb of music on my Mp3 player, and I find myself listening to 2 or 3 songs on the way to work, and then putting something else on, again and again. I get annoyed with myself just constantly scrolling through, picking something and then quickly losing interest.

Right let's do it. I'll even start by reviewing last week's album. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH said:

When was the last time they released something that wasn't lolbad?

2016 when they released the White Album. Before that... Make Believe in 2005? Tho Red and Hurley both had some good stuff amongst the shite. 

Edited by Lemonade

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/best-weezer-songs-2127871/?utm_content=manual&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nme

Some goober at the NME puts his Weezer discography on random and claims the next 10 songs that come out are the 10 best Weezer songs.

Because surely no one could make a list of the best 10 Weezer songs and include 3 songs that are non-Blue/Pinkerton - nay - 3 songs that are non Blue/Pinkerton/Green/Maladroit. Could they?

No Tired of Sex. No Only in Dreams. No My Name is Jonas. Fuck this guy.

Mark Beaumont is his name, and Mark Beaumont's punishment is to live with his wrongness for the rest of his life. Take that, Mark Beaumont.

• 4 weeks later...