aberdeen-music

The Lucky Rathen Weezer news thread

Lemonade

PS

Are you utterly insane? Beverly Hills?

"Hey Rivers, quit rapping about how your car sucks and being broke - YOU ARE A MILLIONAIRE!"

Aye granted Beverley Hills isn't their finest moment but it's still a darn catchy tune, and I took the lyrics to be a bit of a piss take of the whole fake celebrity world rather than a desire to be part of it. Admittedly I'm not so keen on "We Are All On Drugs" but it's mostly because Rivers pronounces "Drugs" in a weird way and it sounds like he says "We are all on jugs".

Perfect Situation - a brilliant song, melodic with trademark crunchy Weezer guitar chorus,

Beverley Hills see above.

This is Such A Pity - nice bit of 80s-esque pop with a big singalong chorus. Love it.

Hold Me - A power ballad Whitney Houston would be proud of!

Peace - one of the weaker tracks on the album, but not a bad song by any stretch

We Are All On Drugs - see above

The Damage In Your Heart - Beautiful and radio-friendly, should have been a single

Pardon Me - Nice chord changes make this song stand out, builds slowly up to a nice chorus

My Best Friend - Pretty energetic, harks back to Pinkerton

The Other Way - It's a wee bit filler, but again the big chorus really makes it stand out as a good singalong track

Freak Me Out - Not the best song on the album, but still a damn good song

Haunt You Every Day - Brilliant song, with all the Weezer staples, crunchy guitars, great vocal harmonies. great way to close the album. It wouldn't have sounded out of place on the Blue album.

Truth be told, I'm such a little Weezer fanboy they could release 12 tracks of Rivers Cuomo farting into a microphone and I would still declare it a brilliant album. I just quite simply think they're a fucking great band. They write exactly the kind of songs that I love. Strong melodies, catchy as fuck, awesome thick guitar sound, 2 or 3 part vocal harmonies that really complement each other, for me they just check every box of what I like in the music I listen to.

As a concept that video could have been really cheesy but it's actually amazing. The song has really grown on me as well.

As for Weezer as a band, the fact they wrote The Blue Album and Pinkerton pretty much negates anything bad they have ever done for me. If you've written albums as good as those two you can do whatever you want.

does nobody else like green?

i mean, blue and pinkerton are obviously amazing but i thought green was a very close third!

I think Green is their best album, it is just truly brilliant (except for Hash Pipe) which just doesn't seem to sit with the rest of the album.

I think the second halves of both Green and Maladroit are a dip in form but I love all the other albums in their entirety. Make Believe really grew on me and they were great on that tour - played 2 or 3 from Pinkerton which was a delight. Looking forward to this one. :up:

It's funny that, because the last 4 songs on Maladroit are my favourites on the album. Love Explosion in particular stands out for me as the best track on the album, with December a close second. Ah well, I guess, shock horror, it just proves that different people have different tastes :rockon:

'Mon the Weez.

It's funny that, because the last 4 songs on Maladroit are my favourites on the album. Love Explosion in particular stands out for me as the best track on the album, with December a close second. Ah well, I guess, shock horror, it just proves that different people have different tastes :rockon:

'Mon the Weez.

I will go back to the latter halves of these albums and get back to you, perhaps I haven't given them enough of a chance.

(realised when i was doing this that I have a live concert from some Finnish festival in 2001 in my iTunes if anyone is interested in a copy. PM and all that)

I've heard 8 songs from the new album and it's toss. There's 3 decent songs, and by decent, I mean listenable. The good songs are better than anything from Make Believe, but the bad songs are worse than anything on Make Believe, so it balances out to be as bad as Make Believe. Joy.

Maladroit is good, with about 1/3 of the songs being a bit crap. Green isn't a bad album. It's just boring and samey. Every song sounds too similar. Same structure leading to a simple guitar solo played to the same melody as the chorus or verse.

The solos on Maladroit totally SHRED!

Easily one of the worst things I've ever heard from a band that historically are excellent.

Pure pish - was distraught when I heard it. As far as I'm concerened, it seems to me as though they've had their time and then lost it. Lyrics are horrendous but the actual music is worse. It's churned out I-know-because-we-are-Weezer-it-will-sell-anyway shite. It really concerns me that anyone would like it - even more so if they are longtime weezer fans.

I agree with the sentiments on Maladroit. It is a great album, full of great songs. Obviously Blue and Pinkerton are the best, green is average, but Make Believe and this excuse for an album really irritate me.

Maybe I'm just getting old but I'm finding that bands that I used to really worship are getting worse as time goes by. Pelican, Tool, Mogwai, Deftones, Aereogramme, NIN are in the same boat for me personally and now I can sadly add Weezer to the list.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...