aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
davidm

Revision Music

So yeah, I know there's a lot of students on here.

What helps you revise (if you listen to music while revising)?

I think I've finally found the answer for me; anything instrumental seems to have done the trick for me this time around. Lots of Pelican, ISIS, This Will Destroy You, Explosions in the Sky and what have you. Anyone got any other suggestions to really get you in the right frame of mind for revising?

Guest Steven Dedalus

When I was a youngster, I used to listen to "Vitology" by Pearl Jam whilst I revised.

Because I hated that record sooooo much that it seemed to encourage me to get it over and done with.

So yeah, I know there's a lot of students on here.

What helps you revise (if you listen to music while revising)?

I think I've finally found the answer for me; anything instrumental seems to have done the trick for me this time around. Lots of Pelican, ISIS, This Will Destroy You, Explosions in the Sky and what have you. Anyone got any other suggestions to really get you in the right frame of mind for revising?

any sort of white noise is absolutely perfect for revising.

Highly recommend white noise actually. Helps you concentrate a lot better.

Stuff like Portishead, Mogwai and Death Cab for Cutie tends to do the trick for me.

And I find that if it's late night essay writing, things like Prodigy or other dance music is quite helpful. The speed of the music, I feel, speeds up my writing! Lol.

I might try out Sunn O))) now actually, see how I get on. I always end up singing to myself if there's any vocals in any songs that I'm listening to which always distracts me..

Agree with Selected Ambient Works.. but the crucial fact is to use something you know really well, so you don't have to concentrate on it, new stuff is distracting; 'Ooh whats that bit doing there' etc.

I've been listening to a lot of Sean Callery's "24" soundtracks. Anything without lyrics seems to be alright tbh.

The Ting Tings was actually a good catalyst for my revision the other day too.

Is that because it was so awful your brain needed to block it out and revision was the most constructive thing you could find?!

The Rocky IV soundtrack is a belter. Every song features amazing exploding drums and it has a song called Training Montage on it that is ideal for any studying that needs to be completed in a three minute time frame. You will want to complete your work, then run up a mountain, shout a bit and wrestle a bear. Mind you back in the day I would have had Manic Street Preachers Holy Bible on the old Hi-Fi. In casette form.

Agree with all the sentiment regarding Ambient Works. That's the only thing I've ever listened to whilst studying. Apart from the other day when I listened to Wagner quietly whilst reading Nietzsche - thought I should get into character.

this current set of exams has seen me listening to death cab for cutie, postal sevice, mogwai and a bit of fall out boy :O

The title says "music" man, not ear-rape :up:

When I'm revising I'm usually listening to anything with a calming influence; if it's too fast-paced, aggressive or dynamite it just completely obliterates my train of thought. So for the past couple of weeks I've been spinning a bunch of post-rock (Explosions In The Sky, Mono, etc.), Buck 65, a few select Clint Mansell tracks, and some stuff from the more psychedelic end of the stoner rock spectrum. Afterwards I usually grab a Crowbar CD to blow the cobwebs away.

Is that because it was so awful your brain needed to block it out and revision was the most constructive thing you could find?!
The title says "music" man, not ear-rape :up:

It works...that's the main thing. :p

When I was a student it was all Mogwai, Sigur Ros and Godspeed when revison was required and essays were due.

When I was a student it was all Mogwai, Sigur Ros and Godspeed when revison was required and essays were due.

Sigur Ros is also good for revision, forgot all about them. I'll need to get them on the go for the next exam.

I always found that classical music was very good for revision - nothing too bombastic, though! I mostly listened to Grieg, Saint-Saens and Mahler.

Also, some electronic soundscape stuff is pretty good eg Robert Fripp, Klaus Schulze etc.