aberdeen-music

Famous Scots...

Tilly

Guest Steven Dedalus

Scotty out of Star Trek (also from Aberdeen)

Good call!

Although, I know there are people who would debate as to whether he's actually from Aberdeen....

Aberdonians (or near enough) off the top of my head...

Mary Garden (opera singer)

Mary Slessor (missionary)...born Aberdeen, then moved to Dundee

Thomas Blake Glover (started Japanese shipping industry etc)

Denis Law (football)

George, Lord Byron (poet)

Lord Reith (ex BBC chairman)

Edvard Grieg (composer.....family were ex Aberdeen)

Google came up with this....

Famous Aberdonians Celebrity People from Aberdeen Aberdeenshire and the North East of Scotland

Guest Steven Dedalus
Sigh... he refers to himself as "an old Aberdeen pub crawler" in Wolf in the Fold. End of story.

Not wanting to stir things up, but...

Birthplace controversy

Following James Doohan's death, several towns in Scotland began campaigning to be named Scotty's 'official birthplace'. The most vocal of the claimants is Linlithgow, where the novel "Vulcan's Glory" states Scott was born. Both the town's and the book's claims are supported by script and production material. However, Star Trek historians and others claim that Scott's birthplace is Aberdeen, Scotland, due in large part to Scott's claim in episode "Wolf in the Fold" that he is "an old Aberdeen pub crawler". Indeed, city leaders in Aberdeen have put forward plans to erect a monument to James Doohan/Scotty in the city, although there have been no official announcements to date.

Christ, you'd think I have nothing to do at work, or something.

Not wanting to stir things up, but...

Christ, you'd think I have nothing to do at work, or something.

Yeah, but that wiki article has its source as some crappy BBC article. The Linlithgow claim is spurious at best. Scotty himself refers to himself as being from Aberdeen. The Linlithgow claim is based on some crappy fiction book saying that he came from Aberdeen.

If we believed fiction books then both the Star Trek and Star Wars universes would look VERY different. We can only trust what we see on screen.

God I am a geek.

Not a bad Scottish representation in higher levels of UK politics, add Gordon Brown and Charles Kennedy to that; Alistair Darling and the guy that says 'order' who recently got a massive public audit.. Brown is actually something like one of only two prime ministers not to have come from Oxford or Cambridge.