aberdeen-music

Euro 2008

french_disko

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Germany (the country you chose to latch on to and has nothing to do with you) lost to Spain, another country which has nothing to do with you, and beat the country that deserved it more and beat them fair and square. The German defence, which is nothing to do with you, did not defend at all well and hence is the reason for their, not your, defeat, should be returning home asking questions for their, not your, defeat.

:up:

It's probably a bit rubbish being a fan of another country... you suffer and glory with them but in general there's nobody to do it with, or people don't take you seriously.. but if he wants to, it's his choice to identify himself with them and call them his own. ?( I'd like to reach a stage where I could call the Czech team "we" without feeling like I was intruding on something.

I must say I fairly enjoyed the match, but perhaps this was more down to the location (a rammed bar in Seville) than the actual football. But then excitement and atmosphere is a big part of football for me. I think they (notice use of the third person plural) played some nice stuff though, and the defence looked more solid than it has.

Germany really need to work on their set pieces though. Their delivery was abysmal.

I must say I fairly enjoyed the match, but perhaps this was more down to the location (a rammed bar in Seville) than the actual football. But then excitement and atmosphere is a big part of football for me. I think they (notice use of the third person plural) played some nice stuff though, and the defence looked more solid than it has.

Germany really need to work on their set pieces though. Their delivery was abysmal.

Yeah, I thought it was a decent game too (location: a German's living room!). Spain played some nice stuff and thoroughly deserved the title. There's been a lot worse finals than that.

It's probably a bit rubbish being a fan of another country... you suffer and glory with them but in general there's nobody to do it with, or people don't take you seriously.. but if he wants to, it's his choice to identify himself with them and call them his own. ?( I'd like to reach a stage where I could call the Czech team "we" without feeling like I was intruding on something.

I was supporting Switzerland in the Euros, purely on the basis that I lived there for a few months last year. I drew the line at calling them "we" though.

I was supporting Switzerland in the Euros, purely on the basis that I lived there for a few months last year. I drew the line at calling them "we" though.

Well, there's a difference between supporting a team casually/for one tournament, and supporting it for years and years. Tbh I'd feel weird calling the Scottish team "we" because I don't follow them, I don't really care how they do and I'm not familiar with any of their players or tactics etc. so it seems kind of contrived to me to base it on nationality.

Well, there's a difference between supporting a team casually/for one tournament, and supporting it for years and years. Tbh I'd feel weird calling the Scottish team "we" because I don't follow them, I don't really care how they do and I'm not familiar with any of their players or tactics etc. so it seems kind of contrived to me to base it on nationality.

How can it be contrived to base the national team you support on your nationality?

How can it be contrived to base the national team you support on your nationality?

Sorry, I didn't mean that... I think it's contrived if there's an unspoken rule that the only team you can call "we" is the one from the same country as you, in that, like I said above, if I did that to the Scottish team, it would feel strange despite being Scottish.

Sorry, I didn't mean that... I think it's contrived if there's an unspoken rule that the only team you can call "we" is the one from the same country as you, in that, like I said above, if I did that to the Scottish team, it would feel strange despite being Scottish.

It's an unspoken rule because no-one thinks it needs to be said. How anyone can use "we" without being that nationality, being brought up in that country or having a parent from that country is beyond me, and most people I would suspect. Where is the connection between "you" and "them" that you can use "we".

It's an unspoken rule because no-one thinks it needs to be said. How anyone can use "we" without being that nationality, being brought up in that country or having a parent from that country is beyond me, and most people I would suspect. Where is the connection between "you" and "them" that you can use "we".

I think associating yourself with a nation/culture/team is part of defining your identity, and that everyone should be free to choose their own identity, simple as that tbh. I can see your point but I just don't believe it myself.

I think associating yourself with a nation/culture/team is part of defining your identity, and that everyone should be free to choose their own identity, simple as that tbh. I can see your point but I just don't believe it myself.

I don't feel the need to "define my identity", I am me. If you're "choosing your own identity" then you're not being yourself.

If you want to be someone else go ahead, but it's not going to change who you are, only who other people think you are.

I don't feel the need to "define my identity", I am me. If you're "choosing your own identity" then you're not being yourself.

If you want to be someone else go ahead, but it's not going to change who you are, only who other people think you are.

I have supported a German club side and followed German football for as long as i have supported the national side. I had no real concept of nationality when i was 6 years old as i was 6 years old. Why should i change something that i've been doing for 22 years to fit your fascist ideals, and those of all the other narrowminded people on here, of how things should be. I am very proud to be Scottish and i follow the national team and Dundee Utd as well but i support Bayern Munich and Germany above both as i love and admire all that they stand for in a football sense.

I would love to be able to afford to go to Germany every weekend for a Bayern game, but unfortunately i can't.

In the end who are you, and all the other bleaters on here, to judge why i do or do not support a particular team?

I have supported a German club side and followed German football for as long as i have supported the national side. I had no real concept of nationality when i was 6 years old as i was 6 years old. Why should i change something that i've been doing for 22 years to fit your fascist ideals, and those of all the other narrowminded people on here, of how things should be. I am very proud to be Scottish and i follow the national team and Dundee Utd as well but i support Bayern Munich and Germany above both as i love and admire all that they stand for in a football sense.

I would love to be able to afford to go to Germany every weekend for a Bayern game, but unfortunately i can't.

In the end who are you, and all the other bleaters on here, to judge why i do or do not support a particular team?

1) That post had nothing to do with you, it was directed at what Bodast said about choosing her own identity.

2) If you ever direct the word fascist at me again I hope the mods will take appropriate action.

1) That post had nothing to do with you, it was directed at what Bodast said about choosing her own identity.

2) If you ever direct the word fascist at me again I hope the mods will take appropriate action.

1) I just quoted that as i couldn't be bothered multi-quoting and felt that the whole thing (including your previous posts) was directed at people like me.

2) Why? Telling someone they can't do something because you say so is fairly fascist. I reserve the right to say what i like within reason and don't see it as being unreasonable to call you out on it. Narrowminded is probably a better way to put it in all honesty, but i called you that later anyway. I don't think calling someone a fascist is something that the mods would pick up on either to be honest.

1) I just quoted that as i couldn't be bothered multi-quoting and felt that the whole thing (including your previous posts) was directed at people like me.

2) Why? Telling someone they can't do something because you say so is fairly fascist. I reserve the right to say what i like within reason and don't see it as being unreasonable to call you out on it. Narrowminded is probably a better way to put it in all honesty, but i called you that later anyway. I don't think calling someone a fascist is something that the mods would pick up on either to be honest.

If you'd care to point out where I said someone couldn't do/think something please do so because I can't find it in those three posts I made. All I offered were my opinions.

If you can't point out my "fascism" maybe you'd be so good as to retract your statement.

That's fairly fascist in my opinion (even in just it's implication). However, in the interest of fair play i'll retract my fascist statement and just stick to calling you narrow minded as i feel that suits the situation better.

That's fairly fascist in my opinion (even in just it's implication). However, in the interest of fair play i'll retract my fascist statement and just stick to calling you narrow minded as i feel that suits the situation better.

What is fascist (sorry, narrow-minded) about saying that something is beyond my comprehension, then asking a question?

I was trying to understand her point of view by asking questions and putting forward my own views, if that makes me fascist or narrow-minded then the whole world's fucked.