aberdeen-music

Supermarket Receipts - always check them!

Shaki

Something I've been doing for the past couple of months due to growing grippyness is checking every receipt when I shop. You would not believe the regularity that reduced items or 2 for 1 offers do not register as such at the till. Somerfield at Mannofield is the worst offender, followed by Morrisons on King Street. I've reclaimed about 15 in the past 2 months. Once you get over the initial embarrassment at holding a big queue up to argue over 33p you will begin to find it rewarding. You can actually see the staff begin to sweat when I join the queue now.......

Why does it happen? Incompetence or corporate greed?

Do make sure you are right though to avoid last week's embarrassment

"Those Frosties are meant to be 1.19"

"Sorry, let me check for you sir"

(5 minutes pass, eyes burning into the back of my skull)

"no, the sign says Save 1.19"

"ah, my mistake" :O

Our local Nisa shop is a fucking pain for this. An absolute pain! I notice straight away because I only go in for the odd bits and bobs, but if you buy a heap of stuff, it's hard to tell.

Last week, we took them up on their 2 loaves of Kingsmill for 1.70 deal. He put them through as 1.29 each. We called him on it, and even pointed to the leaflet they posted through our door with all the offers. He was still having none of it, arguing "no, that's a medium loaf, it's only on offer on the thick bread". in the picture, below the image of a thick loaf, was a medium loaf. He was still having none of it, saying "oh, the picture must be wrong".

Eventually, after his moaning and groaning, we got our 2 loaves for 1.70. We held up a queue. It was good. This has happened so often though, and it's shit.

Buying cheese today at Somerfield on George Street, it was on special offer at 1, save 65p, and the woman behind the till actually said "is this not meant to be 1? its scannign as 1.65, fucking thing did it to me yesterday in all!" which I thoguth was affy nice of her.

I was in Morrisons King Street last weekend and I bought two square batteries for my guitar pedals. They were supposed to be 2.39 each and there was no signs anywhere saying they were on offer. And when I got to the till they scanned at 2.39 each then it said "DURACELL OFFER" and -2.70. So I got them both for 2.08. Score. Presumably they were about to go on offer and they just hadn't put the signs up yet.

It's ace when you get an offer! Somerfield on Union St just as bad... I argued for 6p off a bottle of Lucozade! But baring in mind this was to get me through a night of essay writing I felt justified!

On the comment about the woman on the till saying it should've been on offer, I try to do that with as many customers at work as possible if things dont go through or they miss a great deal (like buy one get one free suncreams!) because I know how expensive stuff is... It's good customer service! :up: Something Somerfield etc needs to learn! :down:

Something I've been doing for the past couple of months due to growing grippyness is checking every receipt when I shop. You would not believe the regularity that reduced items or 2 for 1 offers do not register as such at the till. Somerfield at Mannofield is the worst offender, followed by Morrisons on King Street. I've reclaimed about 15 in the past 2 months. Once you get over the initial embarrassment at holding a big queue up to argue over 33p you will begin to find it rewarding. You can actually see the staff begin to sweat when I join the queue now.......

Up until the point where they accept your money they haven't done anything wrong because it's not a fixed price but an "offer to treat*" and if they say that an offer is wrong they are perfectly within their rights to advise you of the price that it should be and then let you decide whether to continue with the transaction or not.

So, let them overcharge you then go to customer services and clear it up there because you have them by the short and curlies at this point (and you won't have the embarrassment of holding up a queue of people) because if they have accepted your money they are now guilty of misleading advertising, which I believe can carry a fine of up to 2000 for every single item advertised.(e.g. 50 boxes of frosties on the shelves would be a potential 100,000 fine)

I'm told that asda have a mispricing policy where they give you a 2 voucher for every mispriced item.

*treat here is used in the sense of negotiate

Up until the point where they accept your money they haven't done anything wrong because it's not a fixed price but an "offer to treat*" and if they say that an offer is wrong they are perfectly within their rights to advise you of the price that it should be and then let you decide whether to continue with the transaction or not.

So, let them overcharge you then go to customer services and clear it up there because you have them by the short and curlies at this point (and you won't have the embarrassment of holding up a queue of people) because if they have accepted your money they are now guilty of misleading advertising, which I believe can carry a fine of up to 2000 for every single item advertised.(e.g. 50 boxes of frosties on the shelves would be a potential 100,000 fine)

I'm told that asda have a mispricing policy where they give you a 2 voucher for every mispriced item.

*treat here is used in the sense of negotiate

Yeah there was a big thing last year when Tesco offered a refund and replacement, if the item you bought was more than on the shelf, you could complain to customer services, and get your money back, and keep the item. The biggest thing someone got was a laptop, effectively for free, due to this process. They stopped it now but people were getting their entire shopping for free using this loop hole.

There are 5 Somerfields in Aberdeen and only 1 Morrisons. That's an actual fact.

Really?! Where? What's the one on Union Street next to the Music Hall that used to be Safeway? Oh, wait a minute - Safeway / Somerfield, I see what I've done. Did Morrisons buy all the Safeways then?

Morrison's is expnsive, and most of their own brand stuff is shit. Plus the King Street one just looks so dull and run down, in saying that the caf is quite good, even if the staff seem to be borderline retarded. There's a girl who works in the Dry Cleaning bit who is the most sour faced fucking boot I've ever had to deal with. Miserable slime ball pig.