aberdeen-music

[GIG] Cats And Cats And Cats @ The Tunnels

Guest idol_wild
I had a fun evening at the show and thought CCC were ok as were the Phoenix band.

I however don't feel too bad for the band. Thought they were a little rude. I stayed and watched all the bands that evening however during our stage time the Phoenix band were nowhere to be seen and a couple of CCC dragged themselves out of their "Dressing room?" before disappearing after 2 songs. Where was the support?

Surely neither of these 2 bands think that their music was the only thing worth listening to that night?

I remember a time when all bands on a bill would get to know each other during sound check and really come together to build an energy into the night. This doesn't happen much nowadays. Noone wants to know.

A large problem with turnout comes from the bands themselves simply not being as into it as they used to be. Too many people want to just say "I'm in a band" rather than really immerse themselves into the whole energy of the thing or put in any real effort.

Over the years I've met some awesome people from other bands many of whom I'm still great friends with, had some life changing experiences and amazing memories. It's a shame that so many bands we encounter now are negative, self absorbed and think themselves "too cool" to bother with anyone else.

So anyway, thanks for having eric euan on the bill Ross, Keep on trucking!

I totally know where you're coming from. Kartta recently played in Glasgow and watched, appreciated, and applauded the three other local acts on the bill, yet none of them had the courtesy to stick around and give us some support. Despite some favourable myspace sentiments beforehand.

To be honest, I didn't expect them to but it just would have been nice, given that none of them had any sort of profile at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply to this thread, just noticed the phoenix band came in for a bit negativity and thought I'd throw my 50pence in! I will start from the start of the night!!

1. We got confirmation of our soundcheck time for 5.30 (after Eric Euan), now having played tunnells about 10/15 times before there is no way in fuck they are ever ready to soundcheck support bands that early. We come from Keith/Elgin ,100-150mins tround trip travelling time, and have previously got time off our work early to make ridiculous soundcheck times that are usualy about 60-90minutes late. As it was we arrived about 6.40 to find Eric Euan just setting up there gear to soundcheck (2 hours late). Fair enough, as expected. We sat through the start of the eric euan soundcheck and the sound engineer had everything up so loud our singer couldna breathe!!Thats nae joke!!No mistake of the band obviously. About 7.40 they finished, we went to put our stuff up for a quick soundcheck, and was told by the nob end sound engineer we wouldnt be getting a soundcheck (not the first time this has happened) as the doors were at 8pm. Aye fuck me look at the queue's waiting to get in!!We told him to wise up and managed to have a quick blast of a couple of tunes before 8.

2. After soundchecking, we asked about 5 people who were members of staff what time we'd be on, no-one knew and didnt know who to ask. We had been myspaced saying we would be on second about 9pm but know it usually is a bit later than scheduled. At this point the sound engineer came up to say there was a curfew of 10pm for the gig as their was a bit of a disco going on after it, and we would have to start in 5 minutes (8.10pm), as there was now only 3 bands playing. WHY IN THE WORLD OF FUCK WOULD A DJ BE ORGANISED FOR A 10PM START WHEN 4 BANDS WERE SCHEDULED TO PLAY??????WHAT A LOAD OF SHIT!!!!We had planned to go and meet a crowd of about 15-20 people about half 8 we knew were coming, to give them tickets (albeit thats not a massive crowd, we can sometimes get more folks through depending on the night etc, what else is on). As it was we were completely fucked off by that time, could only get a hold of a few of our crowd who weren't quite ready to come down, so told them not to bother.

3. Went on about 8.20pm played to about 15 folk, (thanks to the eric euan crowd for watching!) and got the fuck out of there as quickly as possible!We usually hang about and have a few beers to watch the other bands playing, but two of us had to drive home as we were working the next day and were understandbly fucked off, so were not in the mood to hang about. So I'll apologise to Eric Euan for not watching their set, they sat and applauded our set, and it was bad ettiquete (???) of us fucking off, but we will catch you's again.

What a rant that was!

I'd like to make it clear we generally like playing aberdeen but we get told to be places for certain times that are never nowhere near the times needed, we except things happen that can push times back, but surely to fuck not every gig. maybe the promoters should actually speak to venues/sound engineers before sending out times.

In all honestly I wouldn't have said anything about this had I not seen us mentioned a couple of times in this thread. shit gigs happen and you get on with it, just sticking up for the phoenix band!

Last thing, Ross hope you don't take this as a personal dig at you, wasn't meant to be, just thought I'd put across our version of events.

cheers

Guest idol_wild
Sorry for late reply to this thread, just noticed the phoenix band came in for a bit negativity and thought I'd throw my 50pence in! I will start from the start of the night!!

1. We got confirmation of our soundcheck time for 5.30 (after Eric Euan), now having played tunnells about 10/15 times before there is no way in fuck they are ever ready to soundcheck support bands that early. We come from Keith/Elgin ,100-150mins tround trip travelling time, and have previously got time off our work early to make ridiculous soundcheck times that are usualy about 60-90minutes late. As it was we arrived about 6.40 to find Eric Euan just setting up there gear to soundcheck (2 hours late). Fair enough, as expected. We sat through the start of the eric euan soundcheck and the sound engineer had everything up so loud our singer couldna breathe!!Thats nae joke!!No mistake of the band obviously. About 7.40 they finished, we went to put our stuff up for a quick soundcheck, and was told by the nob end sound engineer we wouldnt be getting a soundcheck (not the first time this has happened) as the doors were at 8pm. Aye fuck me look at the queue's waiting to get in!!We told him to wise up and managed to have a quick blast of a couple of tunes before 8.

2. After soundchecking, we asked about 5 people who were members of staff what time we'd be on, no-one knew and didnt know who to ask. We had been myspaced saying we would be on second about 9pm but know it usually is a bit later than scheduled. At this point the sound engineer came up to say there was a curfew of 10pm for the gig as their was a bit of a disco going on after it, and we would have to start in 5 minutes (8.10pm), as there was now only 3 bands playing. WHY IN THE WORLD OF FUCK WOULD A DJ BE ORGANISED FOR A 10PM START WHEN 4 BANDS WERE SCHEDULED TO PLAY??????WHAT A LOAD OF SHIT!!!!We had planned to go and meet a crowd of about 15-20 people about half 8 we knew were coming, to give them tickets (albeit thats not a massive crowd, we can sometimes get more folks through depending on the night etc, what else is on). As it was we were completely fucked off by that time, could only get a hold of a few of our crowd who weren't quite ready to come down, so told them not to bother.

3. Went on about 8.20pm played to about 15 folk, (thanks to the eric euan crowd for watching!) and got the fuck out of there as quickly as possible!We usually hang about and have a few beers to watch the other bands playing, but two of us had to drive home as we were working the next day and were understandbly fucked off, so were not in the mood to hang about. So I'll apologise to Eric Euan for not watching their set, they sat and applauded our set, and it was bad ettiquete (???) of us fucking off, but we will catch you's again.

What a rant that was!

I'd like to make it clear we generally like playing aberdeen but we get told to be places for certain times that are never nowhere near the times needed, we except things happen that can push times back, but surely to fuck not every gig. maybe the promoters should actually speak to venues/sound engineers before sending out times.

In all honestly I wouldn't have said anything about this had I not seen us mentioned a couple of times in this thread. shit gigs happen and you get on with it, just sticking up for the phoenix band!

Last thing, Ross hope you don't take this as a personal dig at you, wasn't meant to be, just thought I'd put across our version of events.

cheers

Welcome to gigs at The Tunnels.

I never take a hissy-fit about it though, because I'm genuinely honoured to get the opportunity to play gigs.

Ah this thread! :)

On my part I can only apologise re the times mix up. The plan was indeed to have 4 bands. And I had been given times before whuich were worked out as best at they possiblky could be to finish at 11.30.

As far as I know a late booking came in for something later that night and then Cook House Hereos pulled out late meaning the show times I put out were screwed.

I was away with Cats x3 so had no way of letting people know.

It was a shame but sometimes things happen and we just have to make the best of it.

In this case it was because we were late in arriving to soundcheck and I apologise for that again.

In most cases touring bands are late and thats why soundchecks never run on time. I wouldnt say its a Tunnels problem, this happens everywhere. As much as I give out times, they always 9/10 times come late and unfortunately being headliner still take the same time to soundcheck and so everything runs late.

I was by no means having a go at any bands for that particular night as such, yes I was pissed off at the time, but I think it was just one of those nights!

Thanks for the feedback though!

...and was told by the nob end sound engineer we wouldnt be getting a soundcheck (not the first time this has happened) as the doors were at 8pm.

who you calling a knob end exactly? Was it my fault you never got a soundcheck? And in the end, didn't you actually get one and walk away with the best sound of the night?

who you calling a knob end exactly? Was it my fault you never got a soundcheck? And in the end, didn't you actually get one and walk away with the best sound of the night?

Aye ok in hindsight that was harsh, apologies Unbroken. But you werent going to give us a soundcheck until we argued with you, and it was the same last time we played, so felt a bit hard done by. We were there in plenty time afterall, and didnt agree with you saying we wouldn't be able to run slighty over 8pm, as there was no-one waiting to get in!!

However knob end was harsh, so I'll take that back, apologies again