aberdeen-music

[GIG] Cats And Cats And Cats @ The Tunnels

CATS AND CATS AND CATS are an amazing band. So intersting, so unique and so inspiring. Theyve never played in Scotland before and cant wait to do this date - I for one agree and cant wait either!

Support from the excellent

ERIC EUAN

THE PHOENIX BAND

COOK HOUSE HEREOS

Tickets from One Up and www.ticketweb.co.uk now - 4 advance and 5 door

Links to all these bands at www.myspace.com/aberdeengigpromotions

AGP x

catsx3poster-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You can get advance tickets for this from ONE UP and Welcome to TicketWeb! NOW

Going to be a great night

Its Cats and Cats and Cats first visit to Scotland ever so we should make the most of it!!

Only 4 and with the supports on the bill too (Eric Euan, The Phoenix Band and Cook House Hereos) you cant really argue with that now!

SATURDAY 28TH JUNE - ITS CREEPING UP!!!

AGP x

• 2 weeks later...

Few Days To Go!!!!

This Saturday - Tunnels

Cats And Cats And Cats

Eric Euan

The Phoenix Band

7.30pm

14+

Tickets Only 4 Advance - One Up & Ticketweb.co.uk Or On The Door

Who's Coming????

If You Cant Catch Them In Aberdeen We've Booked This Mini Tour So You Could Go To

Bar Bloc Glasgow (fri) And Cabaret Voltaire Edinburgh (sun)

Guest idol_wild

I really and really and really want to go to this. Kartta were meant to be playing a show in London with them.

However, I can't attend - I am DJ'ing for a private function in Tunnel 2. However, I may stick on a series of 10 minute long post-rock epics and nip through to catch the set.

Crap crowd again!

Strange the ones you put all the work into are dead and the ones ie Glasgow and Edin that I didnt promote at all hardly had decent turnouts!

And whats with sitting at the back - just seems to be Aberdeen as well! mmm frustrating sometimes when you get bands like this and no one seems to give a shit.

Cant have been much more than 30 people there on a Sat night. Not the only gig that suffers like this compared to in other cities.

Ah well, we soldier on - only so many losses you can take though!

Great band, great mini tour. Totally enjoyed all the shows. Was just a tad embarrased of the Aberdeen one.

Thanks to those who came though!

Oh NO! Sorry about the crap crowd. Know that feeling. Sorry I was in Edinburgh for the weekend and missed it. Keep on trying.

Oh yeah mate will keep trying! What bugs me most is that there are so many bands in Aberdeen who must like music so where are they when others bands are playing. They expect the support when they play but are no where to be seen at other shows.

Im not stupid enough to expect every gig to be busy - sometimes its just overly embarrassing when youre touring with that said band (I was booking and lookin after all their Scottish shows) and you build up Aberdeen as being the most likely to be busy given Radiohead in Glasgow and Euro Final clashing with Edinburgh yet it ends the opposite!

Just the general attitude as well - as soon as the band played the first note in Edinburgh everyone and I mean everyone came right to the front and paid attention, Aberdeen was the usual chatter!

Ah you win some you lose some - I know that but it almost makes more sense to hire Cabaret Voltaire for example and pay a band and actually make some cash than it does to take the constant risk here.

Granted Im putting on new and up and coming bands but surely there should be some interest there?

Im ranting now - Ill go for my dinner! Ha!

Guest idol_wild

I would have attended for absolute sure, but I was sadly employed in Tunnel 2 DJ'ing to a whole bunch of people who only wanted a very small number of bands played over and over. What a strange evening.

I was told about the shit crowd and I wasn't surprised. I don't think Cats and Cats and Cats have an especially high profile up here - though I know several people who like them but didn't go for some reason. Probably due to apathy. I will give them into trouble.

PS Ross, I think you came up to me in Tunnel 2 when I was DJ'ing and asked if I was "Inkster off aberdeen-music". You seemed pretty worse for wear and I think you meant my actual monicker. Ha.

Then some old eejit hauled you off the stage because he thought you were trying to dictate what sort of music I should play.

I would have attended for absolute sure, but I was sadly employed in Tunnel 2 DJ'ing to a whole bunch of people who only wanted a very small number of bands played over and over. What a strange evening.

I was told about the shit crowd and I wasn't surprised. I don't think Cats and Cats and Cats have an especially high profile up here - though I know several people who like them but didn't go for some reason. Probably due to apathy. I will give them into trouble.

PS Ross, I think you came up to me in Tunnel 2 when I was DJ'ing and asked if I was "Inkster off aberdeen-music". You seemed pretty worse for wear and I think you meant my actual monicker. Ha.

Then some old eejit hauled you off the stage because he thought you were trying to dictate what sort of music I should play.

Ha shit yeah - that was me! I was indeed very much worse for wear! Sorry about that! I think I did make a shockingly out of place request. We had to retire to the "dressing room" after that. That man was having none of it! Fair enough really, dont know how we ended up through there.

Was a pretty messy weekend with the Cats lot - thankfully Glasgow and Edinburgh went okay and think theyll only be doing Glasgow in Oct which is a shame.

Im not sure where I got Inkster from apart from them being a promo lot too - mmm!

We started drinking at lunchtime Im afraid which prob only topped up the night befores!

You were playing good tunes, the Cats were enjoying them in the dressing room before going on mate - seem to recall Radiohead and many other gems!

Im writing too much again! Ha! Yeah I guess their profile isnt that high up here but youd still think on a Sat that it wouldve been a bit better! Next Time!

Ha shit yeah - that was me! I was indeed very much worse for wear! Sorry about that! I think I did make a shockingly out of place request. We had to retire to the "dressing room" after that. That man was having none of it! Fair enough really, dont know how we ended up through there.

Was a pretty messy weekend with the Cats lot - thankfully Glasgow and Edinburgh went okay and think theyll only be doing Glasgow in Oct which is a shame.

Im not sure where I got Inkster from apart from them being a promo lot too - mmm!

We started drinking at lunchtime Im afraid which prob only topped up the night befores!

You were playing good tunes, the Cats were enjoying them in the dressing room before going on mate - seem to recall Radiohead and many other gems!

Im writing too much again! Ha! Yeah I guess their profile isnt that high up here but youd still think on a Sat that it wouldve been a bit better! Next Time!

er, why did you start drinking at lunchtime if you were worried about turnout? why not hit the streets and flyer everyone out shopping on a saturday who were probably wondering what to do that night.

i know turnouts can be shit for a number of reasons and it's a fucking thankless job being a promoter in this city but surely if it's your livelihood and you're stressing about it you'd fight as hard as possible and get on the streets making people aware of your gigs until doors open.

Dont get too downbeat about it, CCC are just some wee unheard-of band on BSM, which is a largely unheard-of label. They would do well to pull a big crowd in Aberdeen and sometimes these things are out of your hands. Particularly given that end of June/July is a notoriously bad time for gig crowds

I remember trying to speak to the CCC guys a good 2 years ago about coming up to play, they pure dingied me and then they released some average/badly recorded material and I lost interest in them

that would probably sound more impressive if you hadn't had bands and venue staff waiting for you and the touring band to turn up for soundcheck, which ended up running two hours late...

and if any of the above had any information about running times or the bizzarre curfew...

that would probably sound more impressive if you hadn't had bands and venue staff waiting for you and the touring band to turn up for soundcheck, which ended up running two hours late...

and if any of the above had any information about running times or the bizzarre curfew...

I wasnt trying to be impressive mate - not at all. I was just explaining why I had mistaken the dj next doors name etc.

We had arrived at the venue in plenty time - in fact early - but there was no chance of soundcheck at 3pm so went for dinner. Unfortunately the wonder that is Revolution fucked up and we waited 1 and a half hours for food that still didnt come (with the exception of one sandwich) We then quickly grabbed a subway as the band obviously needed to eat. This was explained to the venue staff. I dont even know who you are as a user but if you were one of the venue staff then youll know that I am generally on time for my gigs I put on there, that I hate bands being late myself and always have an estimated running time.

If youre in one of the bands that were playing then you will know that I sent out a running order to you all, however due to a late pull out we had to change that. Surely you understand that happens and theres not much I can do but move everyone earlier otherwise people would be waiting from half 7 til 9ish before anyone came on.

Regardless there was no one there for any of the bands playing - Eric Euan made a fair effort but the rest was dissapointing.

I will happily discuss the situation with you in private message if you let me know who you are mate.

Lots of planning goes into all the gigs I put on, its is almost always impossible to stick to it.

The doors still opened on time, the show still ran on time so as much as Im sorry for any waiting time, I couldnt do much about it. If you want to join me in venting some anger at revolution though feel free!

Dont get too downbeat about it, CCC are just some wee unheard-of band on BSM, which is a largely unheard-of label. They would do well to pull a big crowd in Aberdeen and sometimes these things are out of your hands. Particularly given that end of June/July is a notoriously bad time for gig crowds

I remember trying to speak to the CCC guys a good 2 years ago about coming up to play, they pure dingied me and then they released some average/badly recorded material and I lost interest in them

Their new material is pretty good like and tbh I like the older stuff too. It was great to hear live. Totally understand that it was never going to be massivly busy mate but 30 people on a Sat? Surely people wanna see the local supports even?

Again regardless of your opinion of Cats - they still did so much better at the other Scottish dates I booked.

I originally posted in the heat of the moment - Im over it now but there is def an apathy towards gigs again at the minute. The cycle seems to be heading back to negative??

Everyone is guilty

I had a fun evening at the show and thought CCC were ok as were the Phoenix band.

I however don't feel too bad for the band. Thought they were a little rude. I stayed and watched all the bands that evening however during our stage time the Phoenix band were nowhere to be seen and a couple of CCC dragged themselves out of their "Dressing room?" before disappearing after 2 songs. Where was the support?

Surely neither of these 2 bands think that their music was the only thing worth listening to that night?

I remember a time when all bands on a bill would get to know each other during sound check and really come together to build an energy into the night. This doesn't happen much nowadays. Noone wants to know.

A large problem with turnout comes from the bands themselves simply not being as into it as they used to be. Too many people want to just say "I'm in a band" rather than really immerse themselves into the whole energy of the thing or put in any real effort.

Over the years I've met some awesome people from other bands many of whom I'm still great friends with, had some life changing experiences and amazing memories. It's a shame that so many bands we encounter now are negative, self absorbed and think themselves "too cool" to bother with anyone else.

So anyway, thanks for having eric euan on the bill Ross, Keep on trucking!

I had a fun evening at the show and thought CCC were ok as were the Phoenix band.

I however don't feel too bad for the band. Thought they were a little rude. I stayed and watched all the bands that evening however during our stage time the Phoenix band were nowhere to be seen and a couple of CCC dragged themselves out of their "Dressing room?" before disappearing after 2 songs. Where was the support?

Surely neither of these 2 bands think that their music was the only thing worth listening to that night?

I remember a time when all bands on a bill would get to know each other during sound check and really come together to build an energy into the night. This doesn't happen much nowadays. Noone wants to know.

A large problem with turnout comes from the bands themselves simply not being as into it as they used to be. Too many people want to just say "I'm in a band" rather than really immerse themselves into the whole energy of the thing or put in any real effort.

Over the years I've met some awesome people from other bands many of whom I'm still great friends with, had some life changing experiences and amazing memories. It's a shame that so many bands we encounter now are negative, self absorbed and think themselves "too cool" to bother with anyone else.

So anyway, thanks for having eric euan on the bill Ross, Keep on trucking!

Totally get your point. Cats did watch The Pheonix Bands set and some of yours - as far as I know they were just having a quick bite to eat before they went on when you finished your set. They were practicing a new song that was to be debuted. I wouldnt suggest they were being rude tbh as they watched all the other supports in Glasgow and Edinburgh and it was certainly nothing personal.

I thought your set was great. I almost wish I hadnt started this thread now as its prob coming across like I feel hard done by and so do the band. They didnt complain at all, I was disappointed but I mean in the general apathy in Aberdeen, not just this show. Like you say there doesnt seem to be such an enthusiasm and "good spirit" - i.e The Phoenix Band simply left straight after their set.

Its simple though, promoters like myself & the bands that do care and want to do it for the right reasons can only do their best and try to make the situation better and more enjoyable for all!

Cheers for the show though!