aberdeen-music

NEW My Minds Weapon song...

Dan G

ach well, can't please everyone all the time. Cheers for listening at least :)

If anyone's flicking through this months rocksound, we've got a half decent review in it. 6/10 for our album which considering the same reviewer gave the new Shai Hulud album 4/10 (and most of our band really like Shai hulud) we'll take it as a compliment.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, I think your older songs were cooler, less fancy, and just more fun to listen to. It's been done well though, obviously, and I'm sure plenty of bairns will be into it.

Although, I don't see how you justify calling it NEW, i'm pretty sure you let me hear this song almost exactly 1 year ago...

Congrats on the album though, can you buy it in HMV yet?

Gave it a couple of twirls, its not bad. Predictable, but certain sections stand out which I enjoyed :)

Only thing that makes my balls shrivel are Ben's vox. It really sounds like he's straining from the throat!

the thing with the vocals is that, from what i've heard, the higher stuff sounds better. to me, at least.in at least your not dead (i think?) where he says something like 'discourse, and indecision'. it sounds good, the low stuff just sounds a bit forced. his singing voice sounds pretty good on the record though.

this tune is ok, but its got nothing on sense of wonder, lucky like kokura etc.

I agree, I think your older songs were cooler, less fancy, and just more fun to listen to.

To be honest, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't with this sort of music. If we started writing simpler music it would just get lumped in with standard metalcore that everyone could play. Also, intricate stuff is more fun to play live, espeically when you can pull it off. I also find I go back to albums which are a bit more complicated far often than simpler ones. Obviously the 'song' is the most important factor, but when it takes 5-10 listens to finally notice a lot of the subtleties I find that far more satisfying than the instant gratification of a catchy song that wears out after a few listens.

Oh, and half of this song is actually a re-written version of play dead which is over 4 years old now... ;)

Although, I don't see how you justify calling it NEW, i'm pretty sure you let me hear this song almost exactly 1 year ago...

Congrats on the album though, can you buy it in HMV yet?

It's new to everyone else! We hadn't played it live and most people hadn't heard it. Some of the songs on our album are 4 years old and we had the final mix in our hands about a year ago but I'd still call it our 'new' album. But you're right, it's not new as such...

Yeah, the album is in HMV, and some zavvi's too. We popped in to Exeter, Poole, Manchester, Birmingham on the tour and they all had them!

' date=' post: 469266"']i thought you were just being lazy with that riff around 00.51 mins. i understand now.

Half of 'play dead' we were pretty happy with, so we re-wrote the other half a couple of years ago. We still weren't entirely happy with it so the middle section got re-re-written and the intro and verse riffs got made heavier and more interesting. The pre-chorus and chorus music is essentially the same as the original though! (except in C rather than D tuning)

Album got a pretty good review here:

New Releases News & Reviews

My Minds Weapon could be seen as a walking checklist. Billed as Technical metal, they inject metalcore chug, screamy vocals with big singy bits usually for the chorus, stabs of widdly metal leads, even a bit of Glassjaw shining through. Take the 'Ry Ry's Song'-esque guitar towards the end of 'Lucky Like Kokura' – the promo video for which is included – which also follows the regulated guidelines: Jeans and black tees (old-school bands preferable), abandoned barn with lots of dust, no frills – just the band rocking out. But if you're thinking we're sneering at how generic it is and condemning it as a load of sh*t, you'd be quite mistaken, because The Carrion Sky is bloody fantastic.

Taking what you've heard a thousand times before and giving it such a kick up the arse shoelaces spring out of its nostrils, 'Alpha Centauri' is a furious maelstrom of down-tuned riffs with added clean vocals that work so well you'd think it had never been done before. Follow-up 'Six-O-Two' goes a step further: film samples and a perfectly-placed solo adding to the barely-contained fury. It's no surprise they caught the ear of the sadly defunct Sikth's super-team Dan Weller and Justin Hill, who mix, master and even add vocals. Promise for the future is all over the record; the shades of Glassjaw are joined with hints of Textures, Earthtone9 and even a little Poison The Well, which is not your average Hot Topic metal band's influence list.

The wheel needs reinventing, but the multitude of production-line bands makes us all cynical, and blinds us from the fact there was a reason so many bands jumped on the bandwagon, and it's the chance to produce excellent, visceral music as powerful as this. They do nothing new, but what they do they execute to near perfection.

Rating: 4/5 by Phill May

I picked up the record last week, and have to say I like it.

A bit too polished for me with regards to the vocals. The backing vocals and all the harmonies which are drenched in reverb are a bit to euro metal for my liking. But the music is always interesting and there are some really, truly brilliant rhythms going on throughout the whole album.

It is a pretty strong album and even though it is a year old now, it hasn't dated a day, which is great in a scene which is saturated with too many shite bands.

My only critisicms are, the vocals sound like they were recorded in a small room, as I'm assuming they probably were, all the harmonies and reverb on the backing vocals are a bit too much for me, and the guitar 'tone' seems to get lost sometimes here and there, it is generally only in the faster beatdown bits.

But yeah, great album, well worth checking out if you like Deftones, Meshuggah, Misery Signals, Killswitch Engage, In Flames etc.

• 1 month later...

I currently have 3 bands on my phone as thats all i can fit. This, Fellsilent, Parkway Drive and Killswitch Engage. To be completely honest, this is the album I keep coming back to. Iv had it on shuffle and loop for... 2 weeks solid now. I think its an excellent album and although there are a few dodgy bits, im still picking out bits and pieces that i hadnt noticed before. Great album. Good work MMW.