aberdeen-music

[GIG] Manatees + Year Of The Man @ The Tunnels

Guest idol_wild

The turnout was a bit puzzling, given the number of people in Aberdeen who are into this sort of music.

I thought Y Change Costume gave a promising performance, and Year of the Man were great from what I saw.

Manatees and Year Of The Man were amazing. Even though YOTM were a bit derivative they did it so well that it didn't matter. Manatees were crushingly loud.

Y Change Costume were appalling. I understand what they were doing but the drummer was terrible, he was so bad time keeping wise. There were a few GirlsVsBoys/Death From Above/Sonic Youth/Shellac moments that i liked but in the most part i thought they were pretty guff. I hope they get better because Aberdeen is woefully lacking in good bands in general never mind ones that want to try out different things.

Ashley Park was a bit of a fish out of water at the gig purely because of the type of music he plays. I don't dislike his songs, i just find it hard to tell acoustic troubadours apart these days as they all sound the same. Dashboard moments aplenty.

Thanks to Scott for putting this on, i hope there's more to come.

Book Fall Of Efrafa if you can. They are awesome.

Y Change Costume were appalling. I understand what they were doing but the drummer was terrible, he was so bad time keeping wise. There were a few GirlsVsBoys/Death From Above/Sonic Youth/Shellac moments that i liked but in the most part i thought they were pretty guff. I hope they get better because Aberdeen is woefully lacking in good bands in general never mind ones that want to try out different things.

I'm guessing they're a new band? The drumming was a bit haphazard at times, but I liked a couple of the songs. Some of the bass tones were really cool.

Guest idol_wild

I think the looseness of Y Change Costume's set was half of the appeal (and the intent) for me.I have one of their songs in my head right now actually.

fairly moved away from their emo-dbeat roots which I always thought sounded quite unique, but the last couple of records have been excellent!

Owsla and Elil are cracking records. I haven't heard the new one yet but any band that can string out Watership Down as a concept over their entire recording history deserves plaudits in my opinion :D

There's looseness and there's shit timing. The aforementioned band fall into the latter category at the moment.

the drummer was pretty nervouse, remember that it was their first gig, and they were better than most bands are on their first gig, i thoroughly enjoyed them, had some brilliant moments. Give them a year.

the drummer was pretty nervouse, remember that it was their first gig, and they were better than most bands are on their first gig, i thoroughly enjoyed them, had some brilliant moments. Give them a year.

Aye, i know, i appreciate that. I did say earlier that i hope they'll get better as the sort of music they're doing is not too far a stretch from what i'd listen to and i also said there were some elements of their sound/songs that i did like.

Aye, i know, i appreciate that. I did say earlier that i hope they'll get better as the sort of music they're doing is not too far a stretch from what i'd listen to and i also said there were some elements of their sound/songs that i did like.

Then why tear them apart so much? Surely with a new band you should look at the positives, with the understanding that technical issues will improve with practice and experience. Aberdeen does have a lack of good bands at the minute, Y Change are new to the "scene" and your comments are hardly going to instil confidence in them.

Anyway, although biased, I thought they were great and have a couple of really good tunes.

I enjoyed Ashley Park as always

YOTM were alright, didn't think much of the uber-effected vocals.

Manatees were great but could have done with being a tad louder!

Then why tear them apart so much? Surely with a new band you should look at the positives, with the understanding that technical issues will improve with practice and experience. Aberdeen does have a lack of good bands at the minute, Y Change are new to the "scene" and your comments are hardly going to instil confidence in them.

Anyway, although biased, I thought they were great and have a couple of really good tunes.

Cork it jobsworth, i can say what i like, i was after all a paying customer at this gig. I just didn't think they were up to much. I'm sure they will get better, but i also understand that the pair of them have both been in bands for a number of years.

I am also not going to pussyfoot around "new" bands pandering and backslapping just in case i bruise their developing egos. I don't happen to think that i was particularly scathing in my critique of their output, i just wasn't overly fussed about them and thought that they were particualrly poor on the night. Maybe some honest criticism will point them in the right direction to tightening up a little.

There was certainly no malicious intent involved in the criticism levelled at them.

Maybe some honest criticism will point them in the right direction to tightening up a little..

That's a little high and mighty of you. I personally think that the slightly ramshackle performance suited Y Change Costume... tightening up isn't necessarily the 'right direction' for them.