aberdeen-music

Current Favourite Top 10 TV and why

jester1470

knicked off of another forum...

This one will take a bit of explaining whats your current top 10 and more importantly, why it appeals:

1. Boston Legal - I love the human element, the interplay of Denny and Alan, mixed with a healthy does of insanity, and of course spot the old Star Trek actors

2. NCIS - This is a relatiovely new favourite. The acting is great, but again the persomnal interplay between the characetr make this very appealing, add in an attractive goth girl and its a nice package :p

3. Lovejoy - I know this will bamboozle many who know me but i genuinelly really enjoy Lovejoy, something about the character, and the stories, great relaxing TV.

4. Heroes - This started out looking like it was going to be a bit different and I'm still keen to see how the mythology will work its way out.

5. Millennium - very underated with some nice stories, though to be fair this should really be for the first 2 seasons of Millennium as the third was anywhere near as interesting imo.

6. Doctor Who - any era, though my favourite is the much maligned Sylvester McCoy era, but theres something in the very british escapism and silliness.

7. Coupling - easily imo the best comerdy that the UK has ever produced, funny, great characters and Geoff is one of the ultimate comedy characters imo.

8. Moonlighting - I love this show, though not often allowed to watch it as the other half doesnt, but the interplay between David Addison and Maddie Hayes is just superb, not to mention a bit groundbreaking with some of its stylings.

9. Alias - I wasnt really expecting to like this as much as I did but I liked the acttion/adventure story lines and again some great characterisation in the more minor characters like Marshall and Sloane.

10. Star Trek - a bit of a cheat this one as it encompasses them all but partuclarly Enterprise and DS9 which I feel are the best of them. A great story arc in DS9 and some ncie set pieces and smaller arcs on Enterprise make these amongst my favourites...

Bubbling under - TV shows that could well become favourites in time:

Sarah Conmnor Chronicles - I really enjoyed this

Macgyver - enjoying what I've seen but need to see more

Stargate SG1 and Atlantis - loved SG1 but lost track about season 4 a bit so need to catch up, likewise need to catch up on Atlantis.

All Creatures Great and Small - what can I say I'm a suckler for Sunday evening TV

Campion - see above...

I don't really watch much TV (I always miss stuff cos I can never be at home at the same time every week), so these are mostly stuff I've watched when the DVDs came out.

1. LOST - it's dropped off a bit from Series 1 but it's still top of the water cooler chat every Monday morning. I love that every episode builds up into a frenzy then just ends, it's the very definition of 'cliffhanger'.

2. FAMILY GUY - It's everything the Simpsons used to be and more. Funnier, cruder, pretty much offensive to everyone, hilarious.

3. SOUTH PARK - It's everything the Simpsons used to be and more. Funnier, cruder, pretty much offensive to everyone, hilarious.

4. RED DWARF - I grew up watching the Dwarf, the last two series were poor, but series 3-6 were absolute gold. It would have been nice to get a definitive ending to the story but ah well.

5. FUTURAMA - A mix of two of my favourite things, animation and science fiction. Because of these two aspects it can go anywhere it likes, can be set on bizarre planets and have all manner of weird and wonderful characters and nobody can really argue.

6. TOP GEAR - I'm not even into cars to be honest, but I watch Top Gear religiously just for the banter, the three guys bounce off each other really well, and even though I think Clarkson is a world class knob, he's really watchable on it. Some of the challenges they do are really interesting even if you're not into cars.

7. CSI - But only the Las Vegas series, I'm not keen on the other two. I think it's really clever, the characters are all really good, and all have flaws which make them more human.I know some of it is really far fetched, but I never really thought about how forensic science worked before CSI.

8. FRASIER - It's the thinking man's Friends.

9. X-FILES - I started watching it when I was about 13 and just started going through all the DVDs again. Watching it back now you can see the direct influence it had on current shows like CSI, Without A Trace etc.

10. BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER - I know it's just about the saddest thing you could ever admit liking, but I was totally hooked on this for years. I've watched the whole lot on DVD over and over again, to the point where I've sickened myself of it entirely, but I know I'll keep going back to it. It was just so fucking good. Brilliant characters and great storylines (well up until season 6 when it all got a bit rubbish). I nearly cried when Buffy had to send Angel to hell in series 2. I did cry when they gave her the 'Class Protector' award in season 3. The 'will they won't they' between Willow and Xander was worth watching for. Xander for the comic relief. Spike for the effortless coolness. Angel for the dark broodiness. Faith for those leather trousers. Buffy for the tortured love life. Cordelia for the ditziness and the clueless "whatever" attitude. Giles character development from stuffy librarian to leader and father figure. The monsters. The stupid California high school language. Love it love it love it! :up:

10. BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER - I know it's just about the saddest thing you could ever admit liking, but I was totally hooked on this for years. I've watched the whole lot on DVD over and over again, to the point where I've sickened myself of it entirely, but I know I'll keep going back to it. It was just so fucking good. Brilliant characters and great storylines (well up until season 6 when it all got a bit rubbish). I nearly cried when Buffy had to send Angel to hell in series 2. I did cry when they gave her the 'Class Protector' award in season 3. The 'will they won't they' between Willow and Xander was worth watching for. Xander for the comic relief. Spike for the effortless coolness. Angel for the dark broodiness. Faith for those leather trousers. Buffy for the tortured love life. Cordelia for the ditziness and the clueless "whatever" attitude. Giles character development from stuffy librarian to leader and father figure. The monsters. The stupid California high school language. Love it love it love it! :up:

Thinking about it, that and Firefly ahould have been in somewhere as well, dammit, too many good Tv shows :p

Hmmm, difficult. I don't watch that much TV and I am all over the place so I watch bits in catch up from taping or DVD box stets. Also doesn't help I don't have Sky and my Freeview reception is absolute rubbish even with a booster the size of a small fridge. Anyway here goes in no sort of order as they are as they come to me :

1) Firefly - Amazing series with great characters and killed off to early but always watchable when it pops up and on box set.

2) Stargate SG1 - Got back into it again when Claudia Black joined and then watched the loads I had missed. Good quality sc0-fi romping with plenty of action.

3) Heroes - Have been hooked since the first episode.

4) Numbers - Wasn't sure at first but now found I watch it religiously so it must be doing something right. Uber geeks solving murders.

5) Torchwood - Great bouncing romping naughty fun and even better now with "Spike" turning up. Captain Jack is a great character and he has no qualms shooting folks and aliens.

6) Dr Who - Daft and camp but tighter and sharper than the old ones. Tom Baker still my favourite but Ecclestone and Tennant have done a great job.

7) Supernatural - Pretty dark for mainstream telly and good watching.

8) Poirot - I know, don't ask but I do enjoy it.

9) Rome - Brilliant and I still keep re-watching. One of the best double acts ever on TV.

10) Coupling - Agree with the above sentiments, very funny and very clever with the multiple replays of scenes from different character viewpoints.

bubbling under - Worst Week Of My Life, Shameless, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica(remake), Buck Rogers (uber camp sillyness but fun).

I know some of these aren't current per se but my watching patterns are all over the place and I have stuff on my hard disc recorder from xmas I haven't watched yet.

Current favourites of mine:

1. Curb Your Enthusiasm- Utterly preposterous and unbelievably far fetched but side splittingly hilarious at the same time. Plus Larry and his situations remind me of my father.

2. Californication- David Duchovny's character Hank reminds me of myself. Plus its funny.

3. Family Guy- Nothing will ever beat the Chicken fights.

4. Two Guys, and a Girl...- Ryan Reynolds is very funny and i like the camaraderie between the main characters.

5. Firefly- I loved the story lines and the characters. It was a shame it got canceled because i think it could've grown further as well. I liked Serenity as well, i hope that they make another film too.

6. Heroes- It hits all the right buttons. Lovely ladies, super powers, mystery, cliffhangers. Winning formula if you ask me.

7. Lost- Suspense drama at its best. The characters are intriguing, the plots bizarre and absorbing and the non-linear story telling keeps me on my toes.

8. Entourage- I think Ari Gold could possibly be my favourite character in a TV show, ever.

9. Twin Peaks- The fore-runner to shows like Lost. Amazingly convoluted but thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.

10. Futurama- Often underrated in comparison to the Simpsons and other animated adult themed shows but it is leagues above the others (aside from Family Guy of course).

I didn't add my bubbling under so I will now:

QI (I love Stephen Fry), Dawson's Creek is still unmissable tellybox although it's been finished for years, Tru Calling has been alright on the few times I've seen it, I love The F Word and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares because I'm a frustrated chef. 8 Simple Rules and Friends (both brainless I know, but if you only have half an hour to sit down with your dinner or something it's always guaranteed a laugh). I like Friday Night with Jonathan Ross because Wossy is pretty funny, but I don't watch it if there's nobody I like on it.

Lost - I agree that sometimes it may be a bit slow, however you can't help but be hooked by all the twists and turns every week, just hope that when it does eventually end, it's all worth it

24 - have watched all 6 series so far with the Day 7 coming next January, explosions, excitement, good plots and Kiefer Sutherland. The sort of show where you want to see the next episode as soon as the previous one has finished

Nip/Tuck - stylish, gripping, great characters, also genuinely quite scary in points, especially Season 3 with the carver

The Riches - Lesser known show. Minnie Driver and Eddie Izzard. Funny, clever and great performances from the lead characters

Heroes - Great show. Lots of special powers and a good storyline to boot. roll on next series

Shameless - Gritty, foul language and dugs. Still funny and good plot.

Peep Show - Back on track with some excellent episodes from the start of series 5.

Dirty Sexy Money - Another good american show, Donald Sutherland is great in it too.

Prison Break - Gripping and exciting, bit repetitive though, i.e. get into jail, break out of jail and repeat. still good though.

Weeds - A suburban single mum who deals weed. A funy show with some great music from the likes of The Shins, Death Cab, Regina Spektor Sufjan Stevans

Ten is a bit steep for me so I'll throw in a few:

1 Mad Men. Gripping portrayal of 1960's New York capitalists. Characters you can get involved with, no completely likeable or dislikeable characters (i.e realistic; everyone has flaws), plenty of smoking and casual misogyny make this a winner every time. One complaint is that the plot seems to have slowed down over recent weeks..

2 The Apprentice. Just started watching this recently and found it enjoyable. It's not real reality, of course, but the contestants are so zealous that they manage to create their own little world of intrigue, back-slapping and bitching. Funny to watch differing perspectives when you see them all arguing like kids at the end. Oh and, Thank you, sir Alan.

3.Harry Hill's Tv Burp. When I catch it, it's great. Very simple - he just takes clips from other programmes and shows them out of context whilst making some absurd point. I can't tell, he either thinks really hard, or not at all, about the clips he choose. Also, his little side-glances to the camera are brilliant.YouTube - Harry Hill on Kelly Osbourne's Turning Japanese (it comes right at the end)

Here's Harry Hill making fun of the apprentice:

1. CSI - Mainly the Vegas show because of the characters, Gil, Rick and Greig especially, plus they have better storylines imho. Tho i do like the sheer excess of Miami (and H's crippling disability to utter anything other than cheddarific one liners). NY is ok, stories are good but not much a fan of the team.

2. Lost - Surprised to see this in so many lists actually, despite the fact i (without fail) let out a disappointed sigh at the end of every episode, i do like lost, just clinging on for dear life in the hope that they'll reward us after so many years of head scratching with an answer or twa. Regardless of how much it annoys me, i watch it/dl it every single week without fail, compulsive viewing.

3. Heroes - Was very unsure of it for about 3/4 of season one, but it was so worth it. I hoping it's not going to descend into mediocrity as the seasons go on. Love the scale of the interlinking storylines, tho pretty mind bogging at times.

4. Without a Trace - Now, i've not watched much of the recent series of it, but S1 was essential viewing. Jack Malone is an awesome character, great writing, love it.

5. My Name is Earl - One of few comedies on at the moment that make me "lol" and want to come back for more.

6. Mythbusters - Coz i'm a closet science g33k really :) plus they're a tad more thorough than those brainiac boys.... and well, it always ends in a big bang, easily amused, what can i say.

7. QI - Always seems to be on Dave in the wee hours when i'm searching for something to do, love it.

(i should probably mention Mock the Week, HIGNFY and Buzzcocks as they're always on around the same time as QI and i aaalways watch them, tho the second two are really only good depending on the host/panel)

8. Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares - Not watched it since it was on originally, but More4's been showing the American ones recently and i've been quite enjoying it. All episodes are pretty much identical, but i do so enjoy the looks on the smug american owners faces when he tears them a new one.

9. Scrubs - Love scrubs, alas its always the same episodes that are on telly. Tho i think i could probably listen to Dr. Cox ranting for hours on end and not get bored.

10......I've run out of telly... I guess just to fit in i should prolly mention Family Guy, the first couple of seasons made me lmao, but there's only so far you can go before you turn into south park and you're in it just to piss people off and offend. Red Dwarf's always on dave too, i do like, but i fear i may of watched them to death. Which is a seriously bad thing! Futurama's pretty much in that boat too, seen them all so any times! which is a shame coz it's probably my favourite animated show on.

Fin.

Bring back 'Manimal.' classic '80s fare.

Dr. Jonathan Chase... wealthy, young, handsome. A man with the brightest of futures. A man with the darkest of pasts. From Africa's deepest recesses, to the rarefied peaks of Tibet, heir to his father's legacy and the world's darkest mysteries. Jonathan Chase, master of the secrets that divide man from animal, animal from man... Manimal!

Current favourites of mine:

2. Californication- David Duchovny's character Hank reminds me of myself. Plus its funny.

I can see the resemblence......

Mine are (in no particular order): -

1. Sopranos

2. Simpsons

3. X-Files

4. Twin Peaks

5. Six Feet Under

6. Star Trek (1st generation)

7. Oz

8. Sea of Souls

9. Still Game

10.Tutti Frutti

My current Top Ten is......

CIS (original version). I've a worrying love of the close ups of the insides of the bodies. Occasionally it throws in an 'amusing' episode which usually doesn't work (like this week's comedy writers one....the in jokes about jumping the shark were too accurate, I thought.)

NCIS. Unlike Jester I think the acting is pretty wooden in this, but I still like it. It's made by the same folks who did Quantum Leap, so it's cheesy in an amusing way. If CSI was the Beatles, then NCIS would be Freddie and the Dreamers. (Plus I once walked past one of the actors in Holburn St!)

Emmerdale. Sadly, I need a soap fix....it was Coronation St til the Ogdens left...then Brookside in its heyday, but now there's only Emmerdale for me. I identify with Shadrach Dingle....he's the man!

Father Ted. A lot of comedies pass me by...e.g. The Office, Little Britain etc, but I can watch this again and again, and still actually laugh.

My name is Earl. Like CSI it occasionally has a duff one (this week's one was pretty crap), but it's usually great. My g/f's favourite character is Joy.

Time Team. The good thing about getting dottled is being able to watch this without realising it's a repeat until three quarters of the way through. I especially like the ones where they work their arses off for three days and find one tiny bit of pottery from 1964 :)

Dr Who. Nostalgia is probably the main reason, having watched it right from the start until the Peter Davidson era when I gave up. Not totally convinced at the moment (Catherine Tate does my head in), but still set the video for it if I'm out.

I'm struggling now, as I'm weaning myself off of TV, but I'll finish the ten by adding..

Q.I. They seem to be all repeats at the moment, and are irritatingly smug, but still entertaining.

Jonathan Meades: Magnetic North. I missed this on BBC 4 a while ago, so will probably watch it for the sarcasm fix.

What happened next? Haven't watched it yet, but I recorded this week's one about the Global Village Trucking Co.

(When is The Shield coming back?...it was one of my 'must-sees'!)

1 - The Simpsons - just always loved it and found it funny, one of those shows that'll be repeated until the end on time. Iconic, even.

2 - The X Files - To this day, the only one of those dense american dramas that i've really gotten into. Properly spooky and amazingly crafted.

3 - Red Dwarf - Probably my favourite british show, loved every minute of it from when i first saw it at the age of 3 :D yes, i'm a geek

4 - Top Gear - for the banter, guaranteed a good laugh every single episode.

5 - Mythbusters - just a fantastic laugh, the ones debunking movie myths are great!

6 - Father Ted - Nuff said.

7 - Have I Got News For You - theres something about satire that makes me piss myself laughing, and watching Ian Hislop mercilessly abuse people in the rather eloquent way he does never fails - an old episode with Piers Morgan as the guest star being a great example of how the quiz-com should be done!

8 - Black Books - best british comedy since Red Dwarf and Father Ted stopped. Fact.

9 - Family Guy - if only for the character of Stewie Griffin alone! So funny it hurts, although seasons 4 and 5 were a bit patchy. 6 was ace though

10 - The New Statesman - Rik Mayall at his best, easily! Every single episode of this is gold. If you havent seen it, make an effort - it sends up the tories in the late 80s/early 90s fantastically!

Family Guy, the first couple of seasons made me lmao, but there's only so far you can go before you turn into south park and you're in it just to piss people off and offend.

South Park is actually much cleverer and more astute than Family Guy. There's even a SP episode criticizing FG for tasteless jokes, poor scripting and interchangeable jokes.

Just South Park

Anyone else think QI is pish?

NCIS. Unlike Jester I think the acting is pretty wooden in this, but I still like it. It's made by the same folks who did Quantum Leap, so it's cheesy in an amusing way. If CSI was the Beatles, then NCIS would be Freddie and the Dreamers. (Plus I once walked past one of the actors in Holburn St!)

Ellies asked me to ask you, which actor did you walk past ? She is hugely addicted to NCIS and is very jealous...

Mine would probably be:

1 Curb Your Enthusiasm - the most ridiculous but hilarious show on just now I think

2 Heroes - enough WTF moments to keep me interested, but not too many to frustrate me like Lost did

3 Futurama - always been the comedy-cartoon that appealed to me the most

4 QI - Stephen Fry. Nuff said.

5 Monk- Kind of a guilty pleasure. Ex-cop with OCD solving crime shouldn't be good, but I honestly love it.

6 Mighty Boosh - Gone a bit downhill, but still hilarious

7 Reaper - Not immensely funny, kind of trashy really, but I watch it on 4od all the time. Plus Leland from Twin Peaks plays Satan

8 Popworld - But most definitely only when Simon Amstell was on it (though I don't really like him as much on Never Mind..)

9 Top Gear - Pretty much Jackass but with Englishmen going through their mid-life crisis

10 Heston Blumenthal's cooking show - for the LULZ

Ellies asked me to ask you, which actor did you walk past ? She is hugely addicted to NCIS and is very jealous...

It was David McCallum.....he turned up Great Western Road. I was tempted to turn round and get his autograph, but it was getting dark and I though he might dispatch me with a few Ilya Kuryakin moves, so I thought better of it. He was in a play at HMT that week.

I used to have a copy of the album he did

(I think it was called 'Music & me' or some such. 'Twas naff though, so I got rid of it years ago.)

1. The Wire

2. The Sopranos

3. The Shield

4. Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe

5. The Apprentice

6. Dragon's Den

7. Curb Your Enthusiasm

8. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

9. Firefly

10. Nathan Barley

Can't really be bothered writing a bit about 'em all... but I will say this; watch The Wire, it's bloody awesome.

:up:

CIS (original version)...... Occasionally it throws in an 'amusing' episode which usually doesn't work (like this week's comedy writers one....the in jokes about jumping the shark were too accurate, I thought.)

Yeah this weeks was a bit odd, apparently the CSI writers and Three & a Half Men writers swapped shows for one episode, so that was the 3+1/2 men's take on csi, i fear what the csi guys take on a 'comedy' show may be.

Actually, quick rant, i also noticed a pointless mythbusters cameo in last weeks ep, i hope they're not going to pad all the new episodes out with needless cameos and writer swaps, theres been heaps in this season, it kinda makes me think they're starting to run out of ideas. Sad Face.

I hate to have to disagree with you, Mr Cynic, but I do disagree completely. I am a fan of CSI but I have to say that compared to NCIS the characters are flat and the acting more wooden - although as I say I enjoy it a lot.

Time Team. The good thing about getting dottled is being able to watch this without realising it's a repeat until three quarters of the way through. I especially like the ones where they work their arses off for three days and find one tiny bit of pottery from 1964 :)

Liking Time Team is an affront to archaeologists everywhere ;-)

I suppose it has its uses - but there is so much wrong with it that could have made it better. For a start the 3 day time limit is silly. Archaeology is about patience and doing things properly not quickly. You can't cut corners just to fit an artificial deadline.

Secondly, they make up "creative" narratives about things that they couldn't possibly justify - that and they employ Mike Parker Pearson and his cronies to go all wibbly about ritual sites ;-)

Thirdly, it's really unfair on the students who dig with them. I know people who worked really hard to get on the Time Team crew and then any time they found anything they were shoved out of the way so one of the team could 'rediscover' their find.

On the positive side it has got a lot of people interested in archaeology and that's brilliant - and they had my favourite pig specialist Peter Rowley-Conwy on to get excited about an aurochs bone. Any program that has him on is fine in my book!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/unevendays/prc_tr.jpg