aberdeen-music

Zeuhl/Magma

Bodast

I adore magma.

Think i started a post about them some time ago.

Lots of people find them pretty unlistenable, and i though i can sympathise with them, i can't get enough of them. I quite like the fusiony period they went through in the 80s, i think.

Thats one of my favourite songs.

Any band that sings in their own made up language is worthy of some respect :up:

Any band that sings in their own made up language is worthy of some respect :up:

YES. In fact, that's why I dug them out again, I had to do a talk today for my French class and I did it on Kobaian. Though it wasn't really appropriate to what we're studying, it was fun to exclaim, "then, as the music reached its summit, Vander would emerge from behind the drums and start shrieking, screaming and yowling like a magician or a necromancer!"

Hey, did you ever go to that Planet Gong gig in the Netherlands? I seem to remember you talking about it, ages ago..? :)

As loathsome as the Davis doubtless is, we mustn't forget that he almost single-handedly funded Magma's reunion shows a few years ago. Mind you, that still doesn't make him (or indeed them) cool again.

I do enjoy Magma a great deal. I don't actually think they're a particularly difficult listen - there's not much atonality, they're quite melodic at times - so maybe it's the teutonic choral element coupled with the jazz-rock playing and almost tribal rhythms that puts people off.

I've been told that there are other Zeuhl bands, though I've never heard any of them. Does anyone know of any good ones, or are they all just pale imitations of the mighty Magma?