aberdeen-music

the locust

davidm

Partially agree with you. If they keep going in the direction of the likes of 'AOTKPTA' and 'We Have Reached An Official Verdict...' then I'd be happy with that! I love the stop-start nature of those two songs from New Erections in particular. Also, look up the video on youtube focused on the drummer playing AOTKPTA.

Absolutely mad!

That being said, I also really love the S/T as well. Yeah, it's a lot more predictable and it's just slightly more complex powerviolence but the ferocity on the S/T makes me happy!

hmmm I still dont understand what ye mean by dirty / angular :D

To me Converge are a hardcore band, with big boomy drums, fat chords and stomping tunes

To me the Locust are a a fast, intricate, band with powerviolence type bits

surely to anyones ears (esp yours!) the two types of music are totally different?

For me, "dirty" and "angular" would be something like Noxagt, Shellac or early At the Drive-In or something??

Maybe I'm out of touch? :dunce:

hmmm I still dont understand what ye mean by dirty / angular :D

To me Converge are a hardcore band, with big boomy drums, fat chords and stomping tunes

To me the Locust are a a fast, intricate, band with powerviolence type bits

surely to anyones ears (esp yours!) the two types of music are totally different?

For me, "dirty" and "angular" would be something like Noxagt, Shellac or early At the Drive-In or something??

Maybe I'm out of touch? :dunce:

Haha, yeah i'm not explaining it well at all :D

They are very different but also share some similarities and i fall more on the Converge side. For me, both are very dischordant and off-time and Locust do have some doomy moments. Both have a very fuzzy/dirty guitar sound.

Don't worry, i'm woefully out of touch these days as well :D

I'd argue that Converge have power-violencey type bits too, especially Jane Doe era, where it is bordering on Grindcore, but not consistent enough to be a Grindcore band.

Trying to give Converge a genre is going to result in an endless debate though, probably. Face punches will begin to be issued when someone drops the description "widdley metal"

I also don't like The Locust. They seem to come across as too much of a novelty to me.

yeah man, he totally uses jerry springer as a tool to promote the locust. i mean, JP can't stop going on about them in that clip, can he? they're obviously corporate whores, yeah? all he talks about is the latest locust album coming out for ten minutes or so, amirite?

Any band that needs to go on Jerry Springer to get attention deserves to be laughed off this planet...

Do you really think the Locust are the type of band that would need the attention of Jerry Springer fans? ....Probably not. I can't imagine the fat wifey in the front row nipping out afterwards to her local indep. record store. I think it was more a dig at Jerry Springer, and American TV culture in general, or least thats what all the evidence would suggest.

Anyway, i'm not fussed over the locust. Swing kids were better!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
yeah man, he totally uses jerry springer as a tool to promote the locust. i mean, JP can't stop going on about them in that clip, can he? they're obviously corporate whores, yeah? all he talks about is the latest locust album coming out for ten minutes or so, amirite?

Not the first time, Ebro from Charles Bronson went on it a few years ago and was consistently called "Elbro" by the man himself. "Elbro, can you sing?"

:up:

Guest Tam o' Shantie

yup i love them, never actually bothered to get new erections though for some reason. plague soundscapes is still the finest, though some of the early tracks sound fucking ace to this day (especially the follow the flock step in shit ep). i don't see what swing kids have to do with this thread though, other than justin was in that band? totally different music, also awesome though, i have the discography picture disc