aberdeen-music

Leonard Cohen

Lemonade

I realised today that I don't own any Leonard Cohen albums, despite liking everything I've heard by the man. So I think I should get some, but I know he's got like 40 years worth of back catalogue. What would be a good place to start?

My favourite LC songs are "Dance Me To The End Of Love" and "Avalanche" but I don't even know what albums they're on.

Guest Steven Dedalus
Aye good shout. But it got some of the 60s 'folk' stuff on it, which to be honest doesn't do anything for me, I prefer his slow, dark, deep-voiced stuff from his later years.

Although, I'd be really careful with "I'm Your Man".

It's like laughing Lenny got hisd hands on a casio keyboard, found the factory settings, mumbled over it, and said: "Well, I suppose that's the album...."

Some of the songs are ok, I suppose, but it sounds horrific.

It's like laughing Lenny got hisd hands on a casio keyboard, found the factory settings, mumbled over it, and said: "Well, I suppose that's the album...."

I really like the track "I'm Your Man", and also "Everybody Knows" which I think is from that album as well? I may well check out that one.

It's sounds wonderfully horrific if you ask me - particularly "Jazz Police". I love playing that album to people because of their resultant disgust.

I really like Death of a Ladies Man which was produced by Phil Spector (with a gun to Cohen's head!!!) and is obviously as a result departure from his usual minimalist approach. Leonard Cohen doesn't much like it, but I think it's great! I also like Various Positions (questionable 80's production again but great songs) and The Future.

If you're to but one CD I'd go for the Greatest Hits double CD though.

Even if you become a massive fan do not under any circumstance buy Tower of Song, an album of people covering Cohen songs. Bar 2 tracks it absolutely stinks.

Guest bluesxman
I really like the track "I'm Your Man", and also "Everybody Knows" which I think is from that album as well? I may well check out that one.

'I'm Your Man' is a great album, 'Jazz Police' is the only truly horrific song, sounds like some weird hybrid of Abba and the theme from Star Trek. 'The Future' is also great. I'm not so keen on his acoustic stuff gets a bit repetitive.

It's sounds wonderfully horrific if you ask me

Absolutely right. Only Leonard Cohen could make a Yamaha Portasound sound cool.

I seem to remember starting a thread a couple of years ago saying the same thing.

Tower of Song is the best example. Screw Moog and Hammond, who needs them when you've got Botempi?

im in love with the single cd greatest hits one

its like 4 in hmv at the mo as i bought it for someone for their birthday.

i have a copy if you want a burn? then you can see if you like it or not.

my faves are probably:

last years man

chelsea hotel no2

famous blue rainoat

suzanne

i like the sad ones you see.

dear heather is pretty cool also.

id like to see him live but hes sold out edinburgh castle and i was meant to be going to benicasim (mainly because leonard and mmjacket are playing) but hes maybe pulling out so not sure.

• 1 month later...