aberdeen-music

2 new misery signals songs up...

Dan G

on their myspace. MySpace.com - Myth - Miami, FL - www.myspace.com/misery signals

from their forthcoming album which is produced by Devin Townsend.

In my opinion they are everything that is positive about "metalcore" which is largely seen as a dirty word.

Brutal. Technical. Beautiful. All at the same time.

I wasn't really into their last album "Mirrors", but now they have Devin back at the helm, (like they did on their first album) they are sounding back on fine form.

Can't wait for the album.

Dev knows how to produce the fuck out of bands. Ok, Im biast.:up:

Sorry Dan, I hate this stuff. Generic metalcore that has been done to death.

Some decent riffs mixed with crappy monotone vocals.

Im suprised you like this stuff Dan. Yeah it's well produced but it's so generic and dull!

But it's not generic metalcore ?(

Generic metalcore is 4th rate At the gates riffs, all in one key and time signature. Chug chug chug followed by another harmonised riff in C minor, and then with a sung chorus and probably at some point an uninspired 4/4 breakdown.

Misery Signals songs are full of deceptively complex Meshuggah-esque polyrhythmic breakdowns and time signatures, with beautiful ambient passages (although the 2 new songs don't have too much of that). They use heaps of dissonant suspended chords that are hardly ever used in the riff-and-powerchord based metalcore, as well as having interestingly cleverly structured songs that are far different than the largely verse/chorus/repeat/breakdown/chorus that are omnipresent in the majority of 'metalcore'.

I understand that the monotone vocals are not everyone's cup of tea, but that isn't a metalcore trait as everyone from Deicide to Meshuggah and all the HXC hardcore types employ that style...

If you can give me the names of 3 other bands that actually sound like Misery Signals then I will give you a coconut. :)

That sounded wayy harsher than how I mean't it. Love ya Dan :up:

Now Im going to sound like an old fogey.

36 seconds into the song "Parallels". Those damn jangling chords.

45 secs a typical metalcore riff with a usual dual guitar harmony.

1min 8 secs- A horrible clean bit with obligatory talking (Yes I know you can say that bands like Pantera etc do this but the modern bands who do this just sound ... rubbish)

I just hear so many cliches. If this is the future of metal then I will stick with my Enya cd's.

Can't name 3 similar sounding bands because I avoid bands like this like the plague. However, I hear many cliches that are derived from the latest crop of metal bands.

I just don't like how metal is going. I remember how exciting it was when bands like Pantera, Fear Factory, Slipknot, Strapping Young Lad etc came onto the scene. Apart from Meshuggah and Divine Heresy (minus the generic vocals) Im not hearing anything groundbreaking. Jeez I sound so blinkered.

:up:

yeah me too. Did he leave or was he kicked out?

Dunno actually. Whatever the case those are some of the worst metal vocals i've heard in a long time. I don't know if he's trying for the whole Jens Kidman style monotone thing but it's not working in a good way and the lyrics are awful.

I think i've just become jaded with the whole metal scene and therefore i'm a little picky with what i do and don't like.

Ah well, it's difference in opinion that makes music discussion interesting! :D

I wasn't trying to say anyone was wrong for not liking them - just that in the current metal/hardcore musical climate, the one thing they are not (arguably vocally aside) is generic!

But I guess different ears hear different things...

By the way, the new Textures album is cracking - I love that band:

MySpace.com - Textures- New album Silhouettes out now!! - Tilburg, NL - Metal / Death Metal / Progressive - www.myspace.com/textures

Imagine Devin Townsend producing an album of Meshuggah covering Pantera songs. Quality. Check out the new song 'Old Days Born Anew'

By the way, the new Textures album is cracking - I love that band:

MySpace.com - Textures- New album Silhouettes out now!! - Tilburg, NL - Metal / Death Metal / Progressive - www.myspace.com/textures

Imagine Devin Townsend producing an album of Meshuggah covering Pantera songs. Quality. Check out the new song 'Old Days Born Anew'

I much prefer that actually. I might check out the Textures album.

I think i've just become jaded with the whole metal scene and therefore i'm a little picky with what i do and don't like.

I guess that is the downside of metal becoming popular. Maybe it's an age thing too!? But there is definitely less and less new metal that interests me, yet that is still very much my genre of preference.

When I was at school I was literally the only person into metal. Now it seems to be a 50/50 split between "goths/moshers etc" and chavvy degenerates.

yeah me too. Did he leave or was he kicked out?

I was more of a Jesse (previous singer) fan too... he left I think, to pursue different musical ventures and he's now in a relatively gay-ass poppy light rock affair called sleeping girl.

I guess that is the downside of metal becoming popular. Maybe it's an age thing too!? But there is definitely less and less new metal that interests me, yet that is still very much my genre of preference.

When I was at school I was literally the only person into metal. Now it seems to be a 50/50 split between "goths/moshers etc" and chavvy degenerates.

Yeah, it could well be. I do think that i'd probably appreciate a lot more of the current bands if i was just discovering the genre right now. I've just got to the point where i'm happy with the bands i'm listening to right now metal/hardcore-wise and i'm not really overly open to new stuff. The only new bands i've got into in any way recently in this genre are Confession and 50 Lions from Australia. The Aussie hardcore/metal scene is great at the moment and leagues ahead of the current crop of soundalikes coming out of the UK and US right now.

I am creaming one out at the new Shai Hulud album right now though.

aye, what i've heard of textures is good. definitely not generic. the vocals at the start of the song off there myspace (regenesis?) are awesome. just suit the backing whereas misery signals vocal rhythms are pretty clumsy.

don't weapon take a lot of MS 'malice...' influence? theres one!

' date=' post: 467968"']aye, what i've heard of textures is good. definitely not generic. the vocals at the start of the song off there myspace (regenesis?) are awesome. just suit the backing whereas misery signals vocal rhythms are pretty clumsy.

don't weapon take a lot of MS 'malice...' influence? theres one!

Yeah, "...Malice..." and the first Textures album (Polars) were/are massive influences on me.

I really like all three Textures albums, but it was their first album in particular that blew me away when it came out. It's the off-beat grooves and polymetric drumming that I love. You can definitely hear some of that rubbing off on our more recent songs...

Im trying not to sound like a musical elitest idiot/snob.

I also love polymetric drumming/obscure timing etc etc....but with taste. Misaery Signals IMHO don't deliver..it's just for the sake of it.

That Textures stuff is rather good though.

Im trying not to sound like a musical elitest idiot/snob.

I also love polymetric drumming/obscure timing etc etc....but with taste. Misaery Signals IMHO don't deliver..it's just for the sake of it.

That Textures stuff is rather good though.

I too am becoming jaded with the current metal scene - it's all about who is fastest/most BrOOtal, etc, without much thought to songs etc (see JFAC, Annotations of an Autopsy etc etc) plus the whole metalcore thing is just eating itself. The other extreme is the bands saying "we wanna be Metallica" - fuck OFF with your corporate bullshit.

I rather like this lot though:

MySpace.com - SKELETONWITCH - Athens, Ohio - Thrash / Black Metal / Metal - www.myspace.com/skeletonwitch

Rather fabby blackened thrash. Nowt polyrhythmic about them though!

Other than that, its been punk/HXC where better records are being released (although every second fucking band are "southern" now). The Gaslight Anthem may be the best band ever.

First of all, in Karl's defense, he had a very tough time filling in after Jesse left.

Malice and Magnum Heart is a very good album.

But Devin Townsend has done well to bring back the double vocal trick which was used on Malice.. and the vocals are a good improvement on the Mirrors.

However, I don't think you can ignore MS just due to the vocalist - the music is excellent, and to be honest, with some of the vocalists that are out there today, and the style of vocalists that are creating utter shite ('bree'ing" etc) he isn't half as bad as you may think.

The term 'Metalcore' is being thrown around too much. Almost as much as the generalisation of 'emo'.

MS are a top quality Metalcore band in truth, but to condemn them because people class shite bands as Metalcore too is just silly.

And considering them 'generic' doesn't make sense to me either.

And with no proper points to back your generic claims, I think you may just hate metalcore rather than caring about listening to MS.

First of all, in Karl's defense, he had a very tough time filling in after Jesse left.

Malice and Magnum Heart is a very good album.

But Devin Townsend has done well to bring back the double vocal trick which was used on Malice.. and the vocals are a good improvement on the Mirrors.

However, I don't think you can ignore MS just due to the vocalist - the music is excellent, and to be honest, with some of the vocalists that are out there today, and the style of vocalists that are creating utter shite ('bree'ing" etc) he isn't half as bad as you may think.

The term 'Metalcore' is being thrown around too much. Almost as much as the generalisation of 'emo'.

MS are a top quality Metalcore band in truth, but to condemn them because people class shite bands as Metalcore too is just silly.

And considering them 'generic' doesn't make sense to me either.

And with no proper points to back your generic claims, I think you may just hate metalcore rather than caring about listening to MS.

"36 seconds into the song "Parallels". Those damn jangling chords.

45 secs a typical metalcore riff with a usual dual guitar harmony.

1min 8 secs- A horrible clean bit with obligatory talking (Yes I know you can say that bands like Pantera etc do this but the modern bands who do this just sound ... rubbish)"