aberdeen-music

Elliott Smith

lovers_spit

Just been listening to XO and Roman Candle all day.

Great songwriter and a personal influence on me.

Whats your favourite track or album by him? or feel free to discuss anything about him (though lets not turn it into the cliche "he was taken too soon" conversation-we all know he was)

I'd have to say Twilight/Roman Candle for Track and possibly XO album wise though this is susceptable to change...

Craig

NB:I edited the two t's in Elliott but for some reason it wouldnt show up on the forum.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I reckon he's quite underrated as a guitarist.

I mean I know he said something like"fingerpicking is the easiest thing about guitar, it's just repetitive motion" but I mean this guy was pretty good!

independence day and memory lane sound quite difficult to play, they were the last time i tried, ill have another bash sometime soon though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Thread revival!

I've been listening to a hell of a lot of Elliott recently. He's one of those artists that I can go back to no matter what kind of mood I'm in and totally appreciate the beauty of the songs. Favourite album for me is probably Either / Or, but I love XO as well. He has so many fanastic songs, The Biggest Lie, Ballad Of Big Nothing, Between The Bars, No Name No. 5, 2.45am, Say Yes, Tomorrow Tomorrow, Waltz #2, Somebody That I Used To Know, Easy Way Out, Twilight, all some of my absolute favourite songs. If I was pushed to pick one it would probably be The Biggest Lie. I absolutely love it.

The song Either/Or always blows my mind somehow. No-one ever understands why I love that song so much - and neither do I - but it's genuinely my favourite song ever. Album wise, I like the two ends of the spectrum the best; s/t and From a Basement. From a Basement is just incredible. It gets a bit lost towards the end, but the first 10 tracks are incredible. King's Crossing. Yas.

• Upvote 1

The song Either/Or always blows my mind somehow. No-one ever understands why I love that song so much - and neither do I - but it's genuinely my favourite song ever. Album wise, I like the two ends of the spectrum the best; s/t and From a Basement. From a Basement is just incredible. It gets a bit lost towards the end, but the first 10 tracks are incredible. King's Crossing. Yas.

I'm all about the ones in the middle. XO, Either Or, Figure 8 are the ones I listen to all the time. I'm not keen on the self titled album, and I've never really given Basement much of a chance to be fair, it never quite grabbed me and I have an issue with posthumous albums.

• Upvote 1

What a thread!! All of his albums are amazing pieces of music to me, have to agree with one of the older posts on here, his guitar playing is absolutley fantastic and almost impossible to replicate, so unique. "Twilight" and "Angeles" are my personal favourites...along with Ballad of big nothing...could be here for a while.....:) Speed trials.........oh my fucking god.

• Upvote 1

Forgive me for being obvious but Miss Misery is close to the perfect pop song. Structure, lyrics and timing are exactly where they should be.

I think that must have been the first Elliott Smith song that I heard when it was playing at the end of Good Will Hunting.

The early version is good too! (actually think I prefer it tbh)