aberdeen-music

New Hot Mangu Single

Mac Atom

"Necropolis" is the new single from Hot Mangu, out on June 2nd. It's been put up for a limited time pre-release on the Fat Hippy Records myspace:

FAT HIPPY RECORDS

Have a listen and let us know what you think, or just listen :)

Any feedback is appreciated.

The launch gig is May 30th at Drummonds so if you like the song then come along and get a free copy on the door.

Cheers!

Mac - HMG

Good work chaps!

There is a wicked stoner rock vs. widdly zappa/bumblefoot/freak kitchen crossover feel to this song. Love the groove.

If I had to be critical, I'd say turn the solos up a little bit, and also there is some slightly nasty amp resonances during the pauses especially around 1:41. (this is mostly obvious when listening on headphones) Don't know if they could be cleaned up?

This is a really cool song though.

that bass sounds ace!!!

I wonder why that is????? :up::princess:

It does sound pretty cool, there's a really good overdrive on it too - I'm guessing the sans amp?

Whatever it is, it sits in the mix with guitars really well. Loud and clear, but not annoying and overly 'present'.

Cheers!

yeah, we're well happy with the way the bass turned out. It ended up being run through the ampeg (awesome) and a smaller combo which had the distorted signal coming through it, I'm pretty certain it was just Fish's boss distortion pedal. We DI'd both and stuck a mic in the room too which meant we ended up with 3 tracks to play with at the mix stage. It was great to be able to mix the distortion up or down at the end when we could hear it against the entire track. There's also a tasty bit of Bass Synth done as an overdub in the section just before the last chorus (after the solos). On its own it sounds pretty weird but I really like it in the mix, it moves the progression along nicely.

As for those guitar noises, to be honest they were a pain in the arse to try and get rid of. When we did the rhythm takes we didn't have the Noise suppressor... my fault. Rather than gate it on the desk which always sounds a little harsh and forced we figured we'd just try and clean it up afterwards. Turns out its not quite as easy as that though, we couldn't get a natural decay on the guitars when we took out those noises so they just had to stay. I know it would have been possible but we were all just finding our feet with logic and its not the most beginner-friendly piece of software, we were also up against the clock.

Thanks for having a listen :D