aberdeen-music

[GIG] imp: King Creosote + The Pictish Trail @ The Lemon Tree

interesting music promotions and The Lemon Tree present

KING CREOSOTE + THE PICTISH TRAIL

Sunday 22nd June

The Lemon Tree, Aberdeen

Doors 8pm

Tickets 12 / 10 Concessions, subject to booking fee

Available from Aberdeen Box Office (His Majesty's Theatre, Rosemount Viaduct or the Music Hall, Union Street) Phone 01224 641122 or http://www.boxofficeaberdeen.com

further details to follow...

part of the 're-opening weekend'...

it opens on the Friday as far as I'm aware.

I think the Pictones are officially first, by playing on Fri 20th lunchtime, then Shooglenifty are on at night.

If my admittedly porous memory serves, Kenny (KC) actually opened the Lemon Tree the first time round with the Skuobhie Dubh Orchestra.

Can't wait for this one.

If my admittedly porous memory serves, Kenny (KC) actually opened the Lemon Tree the first time round with the Skuobhie Dubh Orchestra.

Can't wait for this one.

That is exactly why we wanted him back. The Skuobie Dubh Orchestra were the first band to play the Lemon Tree and the first band to sell it out. I believe there will be some ex Orchestra members in the KC band and pretty definite there will be some old Orchestra songs along with all the new classics of course.

• 3 weeks later...

bump for biog...

In 1995 Kenny Anderson, then lead singer/songwriter for the Skuobhie Dubh Orchestra and Khartoum Heroes, launched his own record label with his own solo project, King Creosote. Demoralised and with a healthy cynicism of all things music related, KC set out to make home recorded music in as stress-free an environment as possible. In short, the heels were dug in, and the East Neuk of Fife became home to Fence Records and the Fence Collective.

With countless lo-fi leftfield-folk CD-R albums behind him, the prolific KC launched himself into mainstream consciousness in 2003 with the Domino-backed proper release of Kenny and Beths Musakal Boat Rides, followed up by the critically acclaimed Rocket DIY (2005), KC Rules OK (2005) and Bombshell (2007). After recent tour supports with Squeeze, KT Tunstall and Belle & Sebastian, plus an appearance on Later with Jools Holland, KCs cottage industry is rapidly reaching skyscraper heights.

It is entirely appropriate that the King of the Kingdom returns to this venue on its welcome back weekend, given that the Skuobhie Dubhs were the first band to play the Lemon Tree and the first also to sell-out the place! Expect a heady blend of fuzzed up atmospherics, bargain bin Casio beats and sea shanties from the afterlife all dispatched with a sharp wit and a sublime melodic shine.

KC Rules, aright?

a genre standard bearer for lovelorn alt.folk with a dagger-like tartan twist [The Guardian]

A night of unhinged mayhem - theres always a party spirit, musical surprises and a sense that anything goes. [The List]

what a smartarse! [Fence Records]

http://www.myspace.com/kingcreosote

http://www.fencerecords.com

so here's a bit about the new Pictish Trail album...

Aye, so Secret Soundz Vol. 1 has ten tracks on it. As I mentioned in a previous blog, you may well have heard a few of the songs before - in some shape or form. All of the tracks have been re-mastered by my other good pal, Reuben Taylor. And some have been rerecorded / touched-up / violated. The songs i did with The Earlies, a wee while ago, are on there in re-mastered form.

My friend Rich Amino doesn't like it when artists re-release "old" songs. He thinks it's a bit of a cop out. Personally, i don't think this album is 'revisionist'. For me, it's the definitive versions of these songs - released in a proper fashion. So ner.

Here's the tracklist, then ...

1) secret sound #2

2) all i own

3) i don't know where to begin

4) secret sound #1

5) words fail me now

6) ribbon (the twist)

7) winter home disco

8) the lighthouse

9) into the smoke

10) secret sound #5

Why is it called Secret Soundz Vol. 1? Well, there are a few reasons.

1) Primarily, it's named after a record shop I used to frequent when I lived in Connecticut. It was called Secret Sounds. And it was pretty much the best record store i've been to in my life, and the main source for all the music that made me love music. Sadly, the shop doesn't exist anymore.

2) The title is also a nod to one of my favourite bands - Pavement - and their song 'Gold Soundz'. Which, you'll have noticed, has a 'z' at the end. And the song's refrain is "i keep your address to myself 'cause we need secrets we need secrets crets crets crets crets crets back right now".

3) It's also a tip of the hat to Fence, with Lone Pigeon's 28 Secret Tracks - one of the first Fence titles i listened to.

Happy now?

I'm happy. I'm relieved. I've finally got something finished. Woohooo!

Why can't you buy it in the webshop, or in your favourite independent record store yet? Well, i'm holding onto it until September, before i give it a proper release. September 8th, to be precise. I'm sending it out to press/magazine editors this month in the vain hope that it'll garner some favourable reviews come September. Gulp. We're a tiny label, with absolutely no budget for marketing whatsoever ... so my hopes aren't high ... but you never know.

HOWEVER ... if you really want a copy right now, you can buy it over the summer at Pictish Trail gigs / festival appearances.

THE PICTISH TRAIL

The Picts lived in north and east Scotland in the 3rd to 9th centuries AD. We know little of their history as very few records survive. Today, Johnny Lynch resides in the East Neuk of Fife and runs Fence Records with Kenny Anderson.

Normally, The Pictish Trail has a penchant for madcap folky nonsense, soft melodic meandering, and custard creams. Here, he takes the weird and wonderful Fence Collective out with him on tour to carry his guitars, make him tea and help promote his new album Secret Soundz Vol 1. Currently comprising of King Creosote, OnTheFly, Uncle Beesly and Captain Geeko The Dead Aviator this band will blow your preconceptions of Fence being folk out of the water.

http://www.myspace.com/pictishtrail

http://www.fencerecords.com