aberdeen-music

Good Music Management courses?/Advice on Music management

hey I'll be leaving school in almost a years time and music management seems to be a field id be really interested in.

i was just wondering if anyone knew of any helpful legitimate university courses involving it?

also, it would be helpful to have advice on how to break into this line of career, or advice on managing bands in general if you're involved in that.

thanks.

Craig.

A more general business course would probably be more valuable than any concentrating solely on music.

On top of this you'd probably want to do your course somewhere you could get work experience in relating to your interest. Your interests may change as you get older as well (even within the next year).

Visit Amazon and search 'music management' in books. There are a few books out there that are worth getting and will help give an insight into the many aspects of music management and the various types of manager that exist. Firstly though you would want to learn the music industry and the jargon and core business knowledge is also a key. Once learned(ish) you can probably throw the rule book out the window when dealing direct with an artist/band. Diplomacy skills may be handy too ;)

pm me for further info if you want.

The best way to learn music management would probably be to try managing a band. Most people who do it for a living dont come from a background training to be a music manager but do it through managing a band or two and getting the experience that way. The only way you can really learn something like that is to go out and do it. Though please be aware it is the most thankless task in music (possibly next to sound engineer), if a band do well its the band that are perceived to have made theright decisions etc, if a band doesnt do so well the blame is often laid on the manager. I've done it off and on and have loved it, I've travelled Europe, sat backstage at the Paradiso whilst my favourite band is on, had a blast, but its generally been off the back of a series of contacts,t hats the important thing networking.

Cheers

Stuart

Most music management companies seem to be run by lawyers, with a few MBAs thrown in.

If you are not into law, I would suggest (as has been stated above) you work towards an ordinary business degree, finishing up with an MBA. A proper business degree will allow you to work in any industry, including music.

There are some courses on music management, but they are VERY Mickey Mouse and to be avoided at all costs.

Most music management companies seem to be run by lawyers, with a few MBAs thrown in.

If you are not into law, I would suggest (as has been stated above) you work towards an ordinary business degree, finishing up with an MBA. A proper business degree will allow you to work in any industry, including music.

There are some courses on music management, but they are VERY Mickey Mouse and to be avoided at all costs.

I agree with The Byre. Mainly because i got to college to do a music course, and am friendly with some of the Business students. We all agree it's a big waste of time.

I would look into a Business degree, but on the side try and get involved with as many musical projects as you can. Try managing a band, promote your own gig nights, apply for work experience at Music Management firms, speak to other music managers and ask how they got into it ect. Just a bit of advice from my perspective.

Cheers guys, this is all good stuff :)

How would I go about asking bands if i could manage them though, without sounding like an arrogant prick or a pretentious wannabe child?

Get to know them first. Let them know you are interested in management. Maybe start it off as just helping them out a wee bit ect. Let them know what you can do for them, that they might not be able to do themselvles.

Again, just a suggestion.

Out of interest, have you ever been in a band?

I've always found myself trying to organise people with bohemian lifestyles, many of which fail to turn up regularly and most turn up notably late. Absolute nightmare.

If you want to manage a band. I suggest you find some people who have a band that have the potential to get somewhere (even without a manager) and then offer to do the administration and some of the work they might otherwise be doing for them. Don't work with people with bad attitudes or ones who think they have a God-given right to suceed..... At least not until they start paying you.

Cheers guys, this is all good stuff :)

How would I go about asking bands if i could manage them though, without sounding like an arrogant prick or a pretentious wannabe child?

Since you're still at school, and have had no experience, I'd be surprised if a band would jump at the chance of you managing them. You'd be better trying to get experience in a wider range of music related stuff - put on gigs, help at gigs, offer to do a band's online promotion, write gig reviews etc. Basically just get to know people.

Well yeah I am in a band that plays a lot and have made a few connections.

And I am involved with a lot of gig reviews, and stuff like that. Im quite impatient though, i just want to bring exposure to good bands and stuff asap.

Think about how many bands there are though, in Scotland alone, even. If you want to get ahead in the game, you've got to play it! Get your name out there, put your finger in every pie and one day you could have a job in the music industry which pays you some money. If you're lucky, it might be enough money to live on!

Well yeah I am in a band that plays a lot and have made a few connections.

And I am involved with a lot of gig reviews, and stuff like that. Im quite impatient though, i just want to bring exposure to good bands and stuff asap.

Really??

When youve been asking nonstop for gigs etc. instead of doing it yourself.

Not a dig, just an (maybe shite) observation!

Don't worry about that, be relentless without quite breaching social convention. Be a total bastard in fact, that's how people make it; you can't expect to be liked by all!