aberdeen-music

MCSE/Cisco certification

Chris

BP and ConocoPhillips are two examples of majors using Linux clusters for seismic data processing and reservoir simulation.......many of the major geophysical data processing centres (Fugro, CGG) have already moved this way also. The company I work with, Apache, is also currently evaluating Linux with a view to phasing out Solaris in the near-term.

Perhaps this isnt the direction industry is taking for Oracle/SAP, but in the geoscience and reservoir engineering sphere, where volumes of data and requirements for processing power are orders of magnitude greater, Linux-based systems are steadily taking over.

Got to agree with this, I work for a company that provides seismic data processing/imaging, petrophysics ect. software (probably the company that provides the sw that Hugh Jazz is talking about, think BP are using our stuff at the moment) and we are moving to drop Solaris support soon as the major oil companies are moving away from Solaris to linux/windows.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BP and ConocoPhillips are two examples of majors using Linux clusters for seismic data processing and reservoir simulation.......many of the major geophysical data processing centres (Fugro, CGG) have already moved this way also. The company I work with, Apache, is also currently evaluating Linux with a view to phasing out Solaris in the near-term.

That's a fairly niche use of Linux though (it's Red Hat as well if memory serves?) - especially in the case of BP, who I can assure you won't be moving away from Solaris anytime soon.

Just had a quick look on one of the UK's biggest job sites for Linux vs Solaris jobs:

Linux - 703 jobs

Solaris - 235 jobs

If getting Linux certified meant i had 3 times the chance of getting a job, I'd hardly call it a waste of time.

Having a cheap linux certifcation is going to get you a cheap job, if you want to actually get paid well solaris and other high-end unix skills are the way to go.

You should also remember that there's more to the world than just the oil industry. The finance and telecomms sectors for example rely heavily on Sun systems etc for most of their critical infrastructure, and this isn't going to change any time soon.